Cooma area nsw

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, This is a great site.

So let me introduce myself...... My name is Ron, I am from Cooma nsw area. I have been interested in gold/rocks/geology and prospecting for as long as i can remember.......but have never found the time to pursue this interest until recently. I recall many years back when i was in 1st grade and living on my Fathers farming property located just a few minutes from the township of Bendoc at Haydons Bog.(not owned now) I found a rock about the size of a tennis ball with a brilliant yellow streak about 10mm wide running straight through it, I took the rock i had found and showed it to my Dad and asked him if I had found some gold. Dads response was classic..... Where the f#$% did you find that????(that answered my question!) I said in the shed that is falling down up the back corner of the farm!!!! So we went down to the old shed to try and find another rock or two but there was no more. We came to the conclusion that an old time prospector had long forgotten about the piece of gold left sitting in that old shed. There were some old shafts close by and we assumed it came out of one of them.

Recently I purchased a SDC2300 so i could try my hand at detecting and so far i have enjoyed every minute of swinging it about! I made the purchase after panning up a few specks in a nearby creek. Thought it might be worth detecting the adjacent hills gullies.... I haven't found any gold with the sdc but i have found some shallow diggings high above said creek and quartz outcrops with a shallow shaft or two.... I know that the area I am in is not well known for gold, but the gold specks in the pan and old shallow very minor diggings, plus some research suggest there is gold close to home.

In joining this forum I hope to make new friends,go to and see new parts of Australia and with some luck and hard work learn a new trade.
Cheeers :) .

hi and welcome
lots of good reading and research on here
i to hail from the Bombala area and i have panned lots of areas down that way some i found good colour however others were dry
not going to give them away at this stage as i want to look into them a bit more first
You mentioned two areas in your first sentence NOT saying there is anything there ;) ]:D but MIGHT be worth a look
i run a xterra 705 and a highbanker when i get back down that way they will be getting a good work out
enjoy and stay safe

Hello 7.62
Thank you for the welcome.
Agreed there is some great reading and stories on the forum and I am now glad to be a part of it :D

Thanks for the tip. I spent many a weekend fishing in the area, catching some sweet trout and black fish of good size... Spent a few days fishing with the great old time fisherman of the area...... Its a beautiful spot full of great childhood memory's.
Cheers

yes beautiful trout down that way :) :)
my grandfather had two of his mounted and on show at the globe hotel for near on 20 years monster fish they were (to big to eat)
as far as i know the new owners got rid of them
more history gone 8.(

here is some near you the red dot in the middle is cooma

1490600926_100_62211.jpg

There is some nice lines of gold on the eastern side of the Monaro Hwy. And so much info out there and available, its hard to know where to start..... Is there an area in the vicinity that is crown land and well known so i wouldn't be steeping on any ones toes. That I could try out the sdc with a chance of detectable gold?

Cheers 7.62. I will get on to the fossicking licence straight away. And will be taking a trip to a possible spot east of the Monaro Hwy in the next week or so. Its not a great distance from home so a day trip with a half day+ detecting should be nice if i can strike a nice day. Thanks for the Email and i will be in touch :)

Found a Button with the SDC marked "Best Ring Edge" I think its circa 1905. Also 3 specks of gold in the pan from the local creek!!! If there is 3 specks is there any more??????......... More panning to find out :)

There is some nice lines of gold on the eastern side of the Monaro Hwy. And so much info out there and available, its hard to know where to start..... Is there an area in the vicinity that is crown land and well known so i wouldn't be steeping on any ones toes. That I could try out the sdc with a chance of detectable gold?
You can lot and dp search blocks of land your interested in before you enter so you know yours and theres boundaries ad the layer to the map once you load it you can also load a report of the land showing what type classified it is if all else fails or this is better to just call or email and ask the local council can also help you know your rights and wrongs

Hello Ron,

I only joined this forum yesterday but I am looking at meeting other enthusiasts as well. I live in Googong and head down your way to a couple spots with a bit of success. I don't detect (would love to buy one soon) but know of a good spot that I think would be good detecting down that way. If interested maybe we could meet out for a prospect one day.

Kev

Latest posts