Coober Pedy is always worth a trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, some pictures from my last trip to Coober Pedy.

Just love the area, there is always something to find and in addition you can have the greatest sunsets :)

As some of you have mentioned before, they have some nice pizzas at the caravan park but I would also recommend Tom & Mary's Greek Taverna on Hutchison St!

Look for 1 $ campervan
1450589194_img_0664-optimized.jpg
relocation deals from Adelaide to Alice (or vice versa) if you are not from the area, could save you a lot of money ;-)

Cheers, Tom

Very nice. I always meant to get up there for a look every time we visited the in-laws near Whyalla but it was still such a long way from even there. They've moved back to Far North Queensland now but I'll get there one day :)

very nice find the shell the picture of the cut looks great you can see the layers on the sides I think that formation might continue on ;)

Absolutely stunning mate! Thanks heaps for sharing the adventure and its awesome to see soo much color on the ground even if its potch as I still like that and would bag some. That shell is a rippa mate :D and the colors are amazing. Not only in the rocks, but the sky too.

Thank you guys, appreciate your comments.

I really like the shell too, was pretty fragile when I found it and broke apart but the two halves are solid opal.

Haven't decided yet if I should clean it or leave it the way it is..

Found another nice piece of opal with little colour in it that I definitely
1450762531_optimized-img_0963.jpg
want to cut & polish one day:

I am not an expert and am only just getting into the lapidary side of things, but I would think if you wanted to try and clean the host rock away from the fossil, a dermal would be the way to go. You may also be able to glue the small piece back on the end with some epoxy or resin.

Latest posts