Communications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be a bit long in the tooth for some, but bear with it as I have tried to cover everything that is relevant and hopefully haven't left anything out.

A few members have previously mentioned Starlink satellite Internet in comments and posts. Asking if it was worth the price and did it work better, or worse, than existing satellite technologies. Having Starlink connected now for months, thought I'd do a bit of a review.

First up, I originally had NBN SkyMuster satellite (Space Junk) Internet as there is no terrestrial availability out here in the sticks. Initially when I got the NBN satellite installed it performed quite well, albeit slowly. Although I was averaging pretty good download speeds in the region of it's maximum throughput capability. But alas, all was not what it seemed, within a few short months the performance started to degrade rapidly. Loss of data flow (still connected, just unable to do anything) and complete disconnections were becoming increasingly frequent. It transpired that NBN in their ultimate wisdom were connecting metropolitan customers to the SkyMuster satellite network where fibre connection was not available. As such the performance became more and more degraded. This year was the final straw for me, with no Internet connection issues lasting from 30 minutes when you were lucky, to 5 – 12 hours when you weren't. In the three days prior to telling them to shove it, I had no Internet connection at all for the whole three day period. I was one cranky emu :)

Back to Starlink...
Keep in mind these are my observations at my location – due to variables such as clutter (trees, buildings, mountains) each user may experience performance better or worse than mine. Generally speaking if you have a clear, unobstructed view to the south and south-east, then you should ideally be getting the maximum performance from the satellite system. Unfortunately at my place there are these sponges called cypress. Cypress are RF signal killers at the best of times, during winter months they are on steroids, once they are wet they just soak up RF like there is no tomorrow. If you have cypress near or on your property, don't despair, it greatly depends of the height and density of the cypress trees. Younger and smaller cypress won't present such a major problem as cypress 60 or feet high with exceptionally foliage.

As you probably already worked out from the above re cypress trees, finding a suitable spot at my place to mount the dish (mine is mounted on a aluminium 50mm pole) was somewhat of a task. The roof of the house didn't provide any better sight lines to the South than on the ground. Thankfully the kit comes with a 75 foot USB cable (yes USB, not coaxial – more on this later) so I was able to find a semi suitable spot for now. I am unable to clear the cypress, and probably hitting around 15 or so foot below the top. If it were my choice, about 5 cypress tress would be pruned back at ground level, but a higher power doesn't want to work as a team and do it my way.

About the Starlink System:
The Starlink system is rather unique in how it works. Firstly is employs GCNAT (Carrier Grade NAT – Network Address Translation), as such, currently, at least in Australia users do not have their own static or dynamic IP address. The system uses a single public facing IP address and all traffic to and from clients is routed by the GCNAT system. What does this mean for you? Absolutely nothing unless you want to run your own web, email or ftp server. For most consumers the available of high-speed Internet in remote areas where terrestrial services are not available fills the bill.

Another unique feature of the Starlink kit is that the satellite antenna is a phased array, additionally the modem is contained within the satellite dish enclosure, hence the USB cable previously mentioned to connect the dish to the Wi-Fi router. This has some advantages over traditional coaxial cable from dish to wall mounted modem systems like that used by NBN, there is no signal loss within the cable. This said, NBN do intentionally burn RF (output) power from the modem by way of loss in the cable, their minimum install length is 8 meters. Gives you some idea of just how lossy the cable they use is.

The kit comes with everything you need for a ground mounted setup. The dish, mounting tripod, USB cable and Wi-Fi router. If you intend, or think you may need to mount your dish on a pole rather than having it on the ground, order the pole adaptor at the same time you place your dish order. Setup is exceptionally easy, even the kids could do it. Set the dish up, (one end of the cable is already plugged into the dish, at least with my kit it was), then run the cable to the where the Wi-Fi router is located and plug it in, then plug in the power lead. Download the app to complete setting up the Wi-Fi router. DO NOT connect the Wi-Fi router first, this will result in the dish spinning around like a mad horse trying to locate the satellites.

Before getting into performance, there is another thing to note. The Wi-Fi router does not have any Ethernet ports, so if you require Ethernet – or want to use your own Wi-Fi router, then you will need to buy the Ethernet adaptor and bypass the Starlink Wi-Fi router in the app. At this point I can't comment on how well the system works with the Starlink Wi-Fi router bypassed, still awaiting delivery of the Ethernet adaptor as I require Ethernet LAN for some of my machines. Unfortunately at the time of ordering the kit, I was not aware there were not Ethernet ports on the included Wi-Fi router. So something to be aware of for those needing LAN ports or wanting to use their own Wi-Fi router.

Portability:
Starlink now offers portable satellite Internet for those requiring such. For an additional $35 (AUD) per month you can travel and roam the badlands with your dish in tow. Although, current network coverage does not cover all of Australia, another member posted a map of the coverage if you are interested. It does make for expensive Internet at $174 (AUD) per month. Keep in mind though, you are paying for high-speed access and unlimited data, alone with an incredibly easy to setup fully portable system.

The need for speed:
One thing I found, and this may be location specific is the number of signal obstructions especially during the night time. These obstructions are shown in the app, so I have no clue as to what is the cause of them. Dropouts can occur anything from every 50 or so seconds to every few minutes – that said, the average dropout time is in the order of 2 – 10 seconds. I've not yet experienced total connection dropouts or failure as I often did with NBN.

As for speeds, I average between 180 and 250 Mbps. The worst I seen thus far was a few nights ago when it was belting down rain and heavy low cloud cover, and even then it was sitting around 150 – 180 Mbps. If there is enough interest, I will do a speed graph/chart over a period of a week and upload it here.

Conclusions:
For those in areas where NBN satellite/wireless or 4G are your only other options, then Starlink is most definitely worth the initial hardware costs. In respect to the minor obstructions/outages I mentioned above, keep in mind continual upgrades to the network are being rolled out, so it may only be a matter of months before these minor outages are non-existent.

I have to admit, after ordering the satellite kit, the pacemaker certainly earned it's keep. As I am on a pension it was a lot of dough to fork out. I did have the advantage of seeing it perform and hearing rave reviews from my sister about it, who ordered her kit around two months prior to myself. Given that she is only about 1Km line-of-sight from me I was reasonably confident I was going to get reasonable performance.

All up I am very happy with the Starlink system, a lot of thought has gone into it's design. The fact that it rolls up at your door in a nice little box, and within 15 minutes or less you are good to go is a huge statement into how well thought out the system is.

If you are in need of high-speed, no data cap Internet, then Starlink is your go-to solution. I would recommend it to anyone needing Internet where traditional terrestrial services are not available or has deteriorated performance. For those travelling the country where Internet access is a must-have, Starlink is your must-have (with the exception of current non-coverage areas).

Would I ever go back to NBN Satellite? I think you will know the answer to that, I'd hack my own bloody defibrillator out with a blunt, rusty kitchen knife before returning to NBN satellite!

Hubby and I decided to upgrade to the new iphone 14 Pro since they have now got the Sat phone for emergencies option. Hopefully we never need it. We have always taken a PLB, but it's our son's and he's moved out of home. Last time we took a trip, we took bikes in case we needed to get out to a main road for help. Apparently you need a clear view of the sky to use it, but hopefully we never need to test it out. I got airlifted out of mountain bike trails last year, so we are definitely candidates for this feature. Anyone else inclined to upgrade for the same reason?

Hi @SuzCQ

This sparked my interest as it would be good to have a device that had app capabilities but also had emergency contact ability via satellite.

I might not be looking into it far enough but it looks like it is only available for the US. Have you heard that will be available at some stage in Aus?

“Emergency SOS via satellite is available only in the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada.”

From here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426

Cheers, NE.

Looks like this space will open up a lot in the next 2-3 years. Our current mobile phones already ‘see’ the satellites and provide navigation capability outside of tower/wifi areas. I have no techno knowledge but hard to imagine why it isn’t already possible to call/text as well 🤷🏼‍♂️

Starlink and T-mobile are creating something that isn’t far away

https://m.economictimes.com/news/in...v2-internet-soon/amp_articleshow/93798903.cms

Text maybe should becoming more available if this IOS initiative is anything to go by?
Voice/internet data requires a whole lot more Satellite bandwidth and cost, so for now I think that will remain in the domain of purpose built sat phones.

Pre-recorded data texts though, use little to no sat. bandwidth as the message is not sent from the hand set to the bird... just an identifier to tell the ground station which message to send terrestrially to the pre-determined recipients.
I can imagine, if they gave you like 10 options for pre-recorded messages.. (currently the option is only 3 or 4??)

Before your trip, you sit down and record the messages::
1) Got to Whites Creek Turn off no worries.
2) Got to half way point at Top of the World all ok.
3) Stopped to chat/help some folks on the way.
4) Mobile again, everything ok.
5) Got across the river ok.
6) River too high to cross right now. Going to wait.
7) No luck, turning around.
8) Got to camp site. All Good.
9) No Gold today..
10) Woo hoo!! GOLD!
Wouldn't that be good??! Could be used on both directions, in and back!
Then don't forget, if it works like Spot or Inreach, you still have your distress and SOS modes too??
Food for thought!!

Hubby and I decided to upgrade to the new iphone 14 Pro since they have now got the Sat phone for emergencies option. Hopefully we never need it. We have always taken a PLB, but it's our son's and he's moved out of home. Last time we took a trip, we took bikes in case we needed to get out to a main road for help. Apparently you need a clear view of the sky to use it, but hopefully we never need to test it out. I got airlifted out of mountain bike trails last year, so we are definitely candidates for this feature. Anyone else inclined to upgrade for the same reason?
Personally just buy a sat phone ? Less than half the price and don't need an emergency to use it ? No brainer 👍 Same same for those trying to stretch the range of 3g and 4 g phones with a box of add ons ? Might be just me, but to pull out a sat phone and probably apart from pulling up the aerial no different to using a normal phone. Most come standard with distress buttons that can send out pre set messages to half a dozen numbers with location included. at a cost of under half the new flashy gizmo jobs with a myriad of features you will probably never use much less save your life 🤔

Last edited:
Personally just buy a sat phone ? Less than half the price and don't need an emergency to use it ? No brainer 👍
I think SuzCQ is on about upgrading their normal GSM phone to an IOS14 'coz it has sat capabilities??? (in the US anyway.) Not as an addition to a 'normal' phone??

I think SuzCQ is on about upgrading their normal GSM phone to an IOS14 'coz it has sat capabilities??? (in the US anyway.) Not as an addition to a 'normal' phone??
Fair call Simmo, either way probably would be waiting till they de bug IOS14 before doing so :rolleyes:

Hey Crew,
I am chatting on HF radio to a mate in Switzerland.
His internet is sporadic at best up in the mountains.
I asked if he had taken a look at Starlink, was it available in his Country??
He said, nah they are testing the rockets last I heard!!
Well, I let him know that they had indeed moved on and the system was up and running. (not sure about Suisse tho?)
He was blown away!

But! I thought I would ask, those that have Starlink, what are your thoughts?

Cheers mate!
That is an awesome link!! HansPeter is away from his radio for a week or two but I will definately pass that one on!

Im in Central Vic and watching TV is glitchy, all channels, blocky stuff going over the middle of the screen and sound is.....chhhh....th....d.....ggggg...... now n then.

Im in Central Vic and watching TV is glitchy, all channels, blocky stuff going over the middle of the screen and sound is.....chhhh....th....d.....ggggg...... now n then.
Have you full signal strength, weather is fine, or is it low power from the satelite?

Have you full signal strength, weather is fine, or is it low power from the satelite?
We have good typically strength here.
But this may be not or may be something.
In our last town we lived which was Maryborough. Every single week we got phone scam calls, texts, phone calls. Me and the missss combined, 10 every single week non stop.
We had to move as the town was Swamped by people from Melb and other places after covid BS.
We lived there for near 40 yrs! We were on the verge of homeless, actually we were.
A great friend went crazy to find us a place and he did.
So now in a very small place, have to drive to fill the tank, no petrol station here but its nice not hearing hoons doing burnouts and waking up to just birds. Go to sleep at night and here nothing. Its different for sure. Yeah, travel to shop but we got a freezer and stock up. Owners are great, like the world is another place now. Except the TV 😆
Oh, scams from phone calls and text now....zero.... Nothing.
I heard that scammers have some type of relay things set up in towns that have limited coverage. As we are now getting zero im guessing we are out of the areas. So some Dog in Maryborough Vic has a relay thing going, and on the kaching payroll for the scam dogs.

Last edited:
Hmmm. OK.
And your issues are through your own Starlink Satellite system yeah?
Hi, I know nothing about that stuff.
But I lived in a bigger town and we got smashed with scam things.
We moved and get zero.
I looked it up and saw in places things are set up with X distance relay, or whatever pick up.
We are out of the zone now. We got smashed every day.
Now nothing.
Im not tech savvy mate, but wow have we noticed the zero now.
I believe what I read. It was incestant in Maryborough.
Not 1 for me or the misses now. None since March 2022
Do you get scams? We now get ZERO.

Awesome @Hobo thanks and I agree!
Is this through your own Starlink Satelite system??
ie you have a dish and stuff set up to receive Starlink??

Latest posts