Communications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just got starlink for our trip about it doesn't seam too bad but rich as the missus said we don't go to the pub every Friday night which cost u quick 100 bucks haven't tried phone calls yet but it must work i did it by accident but it was bit background noise in it

just got starlink for our trip about it doesn't seam too bad but rich as the missus said we don't go to the pub every Friday night which cost u quick 100 bucks haven't tried phone calls yet but it must work i did it by accident but it was bit background noise in it
the background noise was Elon listening in :oops:

I have a Iridium 9555 sat phone i gought off Gumtree for $450.00 almost 6 years ago and we use TR Telecom on there seasonal travellor plan every year, it costs around $40.00 per month once activated. incoming calls from std mobiles to us are free, texts and very occasional phone calls outgoing are kept to a minimun. My mate who accompanies us on all our detecting/prospecting trips bought a Thuraaya last year and it seems to not have the satelite conectivity that ours has.
Our charges last year averaged out at around $55.00 per month for the 3 months we spent away, we consider it a safe way of communicating with our loved ones, they in turn call every few days which keeps the cost low for us, at completion of our trips we pay out the bill and TR send a new simm card, we generally activate it around april depending on heat and wet area's we travell to in the Pilbarra.
I might add that Dragon lady has to be Policed in regards to Talkies on it as one year i crapped myself at the $192.00 for that month as youngest son had a health crisis (Mumps) at mid 30s and mothers being what the are you can imagine.

In the southern states iridum network will be better than Inmarsat.(Thuraya) but northern and FNQ area Thuraya will be possibly better than the Iridium 👍 Thuraya also known to be a much clearer natural sound also than Iridium phones. Characteristic of the different phones apparently ?. Iridium only $16.50 a month also, pay for calls out only.

In the southern states iridum network will be better than Inmarsat.(Thuraya) but northern and FNQ area Thuraya will be possibly better than the Iridium 👍 Thuraya also known to be a much clearer natural sound also than Iridium phones. Characteristic of the different phones apparently ?. Iridium only $16.50 a month also, pay for calls out only.
Hello mate can you tell me which company/carrier charges $16.50 for access on the Iridium please.

Apology just re read what I wrote and typo as is Pivotel whom I have Thuraya Sat thru $16.50 Not sure on Iridium as don't use it in FNQ location 👍

View attachment 7864
I've got a pivotel account on the Thuraya network and one of the advantages is that you get a 04.... phone number so for people to call you it's free to you and depending on the callers plan free to them. I tell my kids that I'll have the phone on between 7:00 and 7:15 for a chat or if they want to call me. I only pay if I need to make a call/text out. I got a handset and you have to point the antennae west. So it you walk around you can loose the signal, another option is the satsleeve where to set that up pointing west and then connect using your mobile phone to the satsleeve so you can then walk around and not drop the signal. I bought the ph from Optus originally for $700 and when they gave me an international ph no I changed to Pivotel for a 04... ph no. Hope than helps others. Baz

With the UHF aerials they don't need a ground plane to transmit. The old 27 mhz ones did-uhf don't-just mount it on the edge of the roof rack and it will roar to life. They are like any transmit aerial-the higher the better-just watch out for car park roof limits.
Jaros :p
I dunno about that Jaros. A ground plane is the antennas earth or means of controlling current.. you need something to maintain current control, without it everything goes heywire. Be interesting to see what disconnecting an antennas earth does compared to using it, compare the antenna's VSWR and resonance, my bet is you'd see a shift in both not to mention feed point impedance & a shift from current to voltage feeding or visa versa. This can then induce a multitude of problems!

If you remove earth on a 1/2 wave dipole you've now a 1/4 wave.. amongst other things you see a shift from 50 down to 25 ohm input impedance.

An antenna is nothing more than a tank circuit. A lot of mobile antennas have an integral components and along with the antennas parasitic elements, this creates the tank circuit. In the below photo the person has introduced integral capacitance and inductance to complete the required tank circuit tuning.. tuning for the desired operating frequency. If the person removed earth on this antenna, they have nothing but an end fed vertical long wire.. input impedance would go from 50 ohm to probably up around 1000 or even more. Radiation pattern would change, resonance would change.. everything changes :oops:

1676495060213.png

99.9% of radios, be handheld or otherwise are 50ohm input. So, you need to feed the antenna at a 50 ohm point. On a 1/2 wave dipole the 50 ohm point is mid way along the 1/2 wave length, this just so happens to be the dipoles low current point too. Shift the feed point and now you're voltage feeding and outside the zero current point, feedpoint resistance goes up or down from 50 ohm... a mismatch.

Phased array antennas are all about manipulating opposing currents, you can't do this without using the antennas negative side, its impossible. The same can be said for any antenna, you cant control current when there's no negative, actually you can on long wires but thats a little more complex. If you do remove negative on an antenna, theretically your now end feeding... amongst other things Z goes birsirk! So simply omitting earth may very well be changing the tank circuit tuning, be parasitic or otherwise, doing so in an unconfirmed manner aint good.

When you dont know the tank circuit and or antenna design, the only sure way of telling if removing earth is changing anything is to comparatively test the scenario on a VNA. A cheap eBay VNA made in Cheyna would suffice.

Myself, amongst other reasons beyond the antenna design, I always use earth for safety reasons - lightning!

Last edited:
I didnt see that in your link?
Do I need to watch longer or click something?
I think the story is saying that 5G Advanced will cover all of Australia's land mass.
So for those that have a 5G Advanced phone (once it's in place) then the need for a satellite phone should be obsolete?
Lives will be saved due to the availability of communications, areas of Australia that today would require the use of a dedicated satellite phone on an expensive satellite phone plan will be opened up to anyone.

Hey Crew,
I am chatting on HF radio to a mate in Switzerland.
His internet is sporadic at best up in the mountains.
I asked if he had taken a look at Starlink, was it available in his Country??
He said, nah they are testing the rockets last I heard!!
Well, I let him know that they had indeed moved on and the system was up and running. (not sure about Suisse tho?)
He was blown away!

But! I thought I would ask, those that have Starlink, what are your thoughts?
What are my thoughts....................................just do it!!!!! I got Starlink last May and apart from the worldwide outage a couple of months ago for 25 min it is virtually flawless, my speeds are anywhere between 60 to 250MBS and latency is anywhere between 20 to 65 on average, plus unlimited data is the cherry on top.
I was running on Telstra 4g and before that had Skymuster and it was so painful I had to drive into town or the local pub to get the platforms I use to run (I work from home)
Now they have bought in the portability option I can literally go on holiday without having to worry about work. I was so impressed that I bought another one for my employee who works remotely in a different state.............it just works, plus while I am home I use the wifi option on the phone for phone calls, the other day I had no idea the 4G tower had been off line in the valley I live in for two days as I had not gone anywhere and was worried after I could not get in contact with a friend on the phone.........only to drive there and find the 4g tower was out!!

I am a bit disappointed in people using internet connectivity instead of learning the basics first/ sad not learning all the tech which made it happen.

What are my thoughts....................................just do it!!!!! I got Starlink last May and apart from the worldwide outage a couple of months ago for 25 min it is virtually flawless, my speeds are anywhere between 60 to 250MBS and latency is anywhere between 20 to 65 on average, plus unlimited data is the cherry on top.
I was running on Telstra 4g and before that had Skymuster and it was so painful I had to drive into town or the local pub to get the platforms I use to run (I work from home)
Now they have bought in the portability option I can literally go on holiday without having to worry about work. I was so impressed that I bought another one for my employee who works remotely in a different state.............it just works, plus while I am home I use the wifi option on the phone for phone calls, the other day I had no idea the 4G tower had been off line in the valley I live in for two days as I had not gone anywhere and was worried after I could not get in contact with a friend on the phone.........only to drive there and find the 4g tower was out!!
In terms of portability and remote usage, do you know what are the power options for the Starlink roaming hardware? I see that it runs on 24 volt power. Does this require a generator or are the Lithium power stations with 24 volt capability sufficient ? There is a special deal ATM of $450 for the Starlink Kit for roaming, plus $174 per month for service. What I like about the service fee is that is can be 'paused' and activated only in the month/s it is needed.

In terms of portability and remote usage, do you know what are the power options for the Starlink roaming hardware? I see that it runs on 24 volt power. Does this require a generator or are the Lithium power stations with 24 volt capability sufficient ? There is a special deal ATM of $450 for the Starlink Kit for roaming, plus $174 per month for service. What I like about the service fee is that is can be 'paused' and activated only in the month/s it is needed.
Hi Leigh

From what I can gather there is no difference between the static or roaming set ups just a different plan (I am on a static plan that I can add portability to). Starlink here in Australia is designed to run off 240 volt and it uses around 200watts getting itself set up then drops into the 45 to 70 watt range after that, I am totally off the grid and I use a 1500 watt pure sine inverter (to invert 12 volt to 240 volt) to run my little abode with a 1000 amp hour 12 volt lead carbon battery bank, I have been running this for around 2 years now and it has been faultless.

There is no official 12 volt set up yet via Starlink but some people have been able to modify theirs to run on 12 volt, I wont be going down that path in the foreseeable future.
Without knowing what you have capacity wise with your batteries my suggestion is just buy a pure sine inverter (i would say 500watt min as it can be used for other purposes charging phone, computer, tools etc) connect to your batteries and just plug it in! Whilst there is a bit of efficiency drop inverting 12 volt to 240 via an inverter it just makes it so easy as it is virtually plug and play and viola you have 240 mains type power, at a guess if using 12 volt lithium batteries you will need a capacity of around 150 to 200 amp hours to have enough capacity to suit your purposes

Edit, just done a speed test running at 170 up/12 down, and my solar system is pulling 18 amps and the batteries will be in float charge mode around 1.00 pm today if I get full sun.

Last edited:

Latest posts