Coin shooting vs Au detecting.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a quick review of all submissions, I'm sorry, meta wins this discussion by the proverbial :lol:

Heatho said:
I've been averaging about $150 a week in coins, $1 and $2 coins I see as the meat and potatoes, the silver pre dec coins and jewelery as the cream. The dollar mule I scored the other day would have eclipsed any of my finds had it not been struck by a mower. Would have been the same as a 4oz nugget if in good condition, though much rarer than a 4oz nugget.

Gold detecting for me is expensive in fuel and accomodation so always makes a loss for me so far, 1 good nugget could change that but i'm not worried if it doesn't happen, I just love getting out of the city and see gold as a bonus.

All that being said I reckon I could feed myself and pay for my beer each week by detecting parks.
I agree with that.

Stopped off at a city park for an hour thisafternoon on the way home from picking up a new SDC cover plate.

The 705 was squawking like a budgerigar with all the trash but managed to cherry pick these plus a '41 roo that fell between my car seats.

Happy to pick up a surprise bucket list item :D although I thought I put 'gold' pocket watch on the list. :(

1440051217_image.jpg

SCROUNGER said:
So are we all agreed it's gold for the soul and silver for the pocket???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I coin shoot but not for the $$$ I love the history and it's therapeutic. My original interest was panning etc for gold. I looked into a gold detector but the nearest gold fields are 5 hours away. So I got a coin detector, (The best coin detector in it's class :D ). I can go for a swing anytime.

Ramjet said:
SCROUNGER said:
So are we all agreed it's gold for the soul and silver for the pocket???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I coin shoot but not for the $$$ I love the history and it's therapeutic. My original interest was panning etc for gold. I looked into a gold detector but the nearest gold fields are 5 hours away. So I got a coin detector, (The best coin detector in it's class :D ). I can go for a swing anytime.

If you want to try your luck on a goldfield one day mate I've got a spare detector I can bring along that you can use. I leant Reeko my SDC for an hour one time when we were away and he got a small nug with it. :D

It'd be interesting to see how many of us actually do hunt gold or treasures for the monetary value. I reckon the value (historic or $) simply gives us the excuse we may need to get outdoors.
There's probably a clear divide there between pros and amateurs. But even the pro gold/gem seekers get as much buzz from being out in the environment i would think? Parks or the bush both make a pretty good office even if you HAVE to go to work.

Heatho said:
Ramjet said:
SCROUNGER said:

If you want to try your luck on a goldfield one day mate I've got a spare detector I can bring along that you can use. I leant Reeko my SDC for an hour one time when we were away and he got a small nug with it. :D

That's an awesome offer Heath. Thank you very much.
Love you guys... not just Rocket ;)

SCROUNGER said:
It'd be interesting to see how many of us actually do hunt gold or treasures for the monetary value. I reckon the value (historic or $) simply gives us the excuse we may need to get outdoors.
There's probably a clear divide there between pros and amateurs. But even the pro gold/gem seekers get as much buzz from being out in the environment i would think? Parks or the bush both make a pretty good office even if you HAVE to go to work.

I'll take the goldies ($1 and$2) when I get them but definitely don't target them. My total for the year would be under $400. Plenty of coin shooters do way better than that. I go were Rocket thinks the old coins are. It will be nice when I have enough $$ to upgrade my detector but I'm not in a rush. I truly just enjoy getting out there and finding old STUFF. :D My toy gun and handcuffs are among my favourite finds. I care so little about the dollar value I didn't realise I had a florin worth good money until Rocket told me.

rocketaroo said:
people dont unintentionally look at the ground. Coins drop into a tuft of grass, and are instantly lost. More people, equals more traffic, equals more coins in the dirt.
:p

One Of my Coin hot spots produces between 150 to 167 of Pre Decimal coins a Day along with jewellery and other bits, With Coin hunting there is always a chance that it can be something else so it's always A great feeling waiting to find out,

With nugget Hunting the Thrill is more about how much they Weigh and hopefully it's not Junk, But To me as long as I am out there Doing the Deed that's all that Matters.

RotGrub said:
Say it ant so... Here in the US Australia is widely considered the metal detecting gold capital of the universe. Most of us believe that you guys find 5oz "rippers" on you way to work. What's with all this coin business?

We Only do it to see how long our batteries will last So when we Go Gold Detecting we don't get Caught Out,

RotGrub said:
Say it ant so... Here in the US Australia is widely considered the metal detecting gold capital of the universe. Most of us believe that you guys find 5oz "rippers" on you way to work. What's with all this coin business?

They also think we have Kangaroo's hopping down the main street of Sydney too mate. :lol:

Metamorphic said:
Nothing beats the thrill of a gold hunt......the research at home, co-ords plugged in, a weeks camping out in the forest around a great camp fire going over the days hunt, exaggerating stories and telling jokes while sinking a few coldies in the company of some great mates.

Waking the next morning, out the tent door and smelling that clean Ironbark bush air! Aaaaahhh.

Saying gday to a few wallabies or having a curious echidna stroll through camp while your taking great pics of our wonderful, beautiful bush surrounds.

Reading the ground and local geology...being fascinated by local rock samples, foliation in bedrock running across bush tracks or dry river beds.

The anticipation towards the days hunt and feeling your heart pound, blood pressure rise on a great smooth tone signal out in the middle of nowhere thinking.....this could be that 100 ouncer.

Living the dream......worth more than money can buy i reckon!

One of my pics of a frosty winters morning within a magnificent goldfields Ironbark state forest....the anticipation, the freedom.

Now thats living ;)

Yor read my mind, I couldn't have said it better, what a beautiful life.

http://i59.tinypic.com/24kwl83.jpg

Ridge Runner said:
One Of my Coin hot spots produces between 150 to 167 of Pre Decimal coins a Day along with jewellery and other bits.

How about posting your finds for us RR, starting a thread. We would be very interested :) Say 160 pre dec coins, over a 10 hour day, is a pre dec every 3.7mins. Then, your digging decimals, trash, relics, jewellery etc? so that would make the finds per min, even lower, your a machine RR! I dunno, maybe I just cant imagine a site with so many targets in it, or someone able to detect, and dig so fast, for so long?

Be friends today rocket and the two of you will be allowed to play together :lol:

Latest posts