Coin shooting in parks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im a newbie and only been detecting about 6-8 weeks , this topic has probably been covered before but help appreciated , I have a X-TERRA 705 and been shooting at the local beach, found about $12 in gold and silver, finding some every visit, which is really good , Ive found its not the value of the coins but the excitement of finding something that I get enjoyment from.
Im thinking about going hunting in parks , Ive watched plenty of videos and whilst good no one ever mentions setting compared to beach, I know theres 50 detectors out there and each one is different but maybe some one with a 705 can give me a rough guide, thanks Jim d

First of all, don't take your beach shovel to the park and leave massive plugs. Probably stick to the high ID s cos you'll find a lot more junk in parks and in my opinion it's not worth 20 ring pull plugs for 20c. I have an equinox with preset modes so can't help much with specific settings.

Try a search for Sa_bogan in youtube. He was an active member here a while back and did some youtube videos on the 705 at beach and parks. Let me know how you go, if you have no luck I'll embed the link.

Cheers.

Hi Dave Im aware that digging great holes is not a good look .... I plan is to try and only stick to about 2-3 so Im guessing I have to turn the detector down so as I can try the screwdriver slit method, I seem dig large holes at the beach (which I back fill) but Im getting coins as deep as 8-9 so hence why I wanna get setting opinions.

We are glad to see that you are aware of not digging huge unnecessary holes,remember that gold coins are the size of your finger nail with many being very very shallow or "sunbakers" as we call them.

Get the right gear including a pinpointer and a finds bag (rubbish) and leave a small as possible "footprint" because all of our actions in the field impact us all no matter where we live.

Remember that NSW is 100% drought declared now with QLD and VIC well over 60% :|

We look forward to the photo's of your finds :party:

Good luck and I wish you well :Y:

The Scrounger said:
We are glad to see that you are aware of not digging huge unnecessary holes,remember that gold coins are the size of your finger nail with many being very very shallow or "sunbakers" as we call them.

Get the right gear including a pinpointer and a finds bag (rubbish) and leave a small as possible "footprint" because all of our actions in the field impact us all no matter where we live.

Remember that NSW is 100% drought declared now with QLD and VIC well over 60% :|

We look forward to the photo's of your finds :party:

Good luck and I wish you well :Y:

Digging plugs in dry conditions can be a challenge if your wanting to do the least damage possible.
It can take some practice to perfect your digging technique.

Swinging & digging said:
Digging plugs in dry conditions can be a challenge if your wanting to do the least damage possible.
It can take some practice to perfect your digging technique.
it is not always the go to plug, use a pointer and read the ground :cool:

if we all do the right thing , we wont get locked out of the parks :Y:

i have lost local parks because of a fool with a 505 and full shovel, it is imperative that we do the right thing ;)

Thanks for the information guys, Im not going to rush down just yet , I tried to cut a few plugs in my back yard but its too dry and my plugs fell apart...
Being in a small town of 8000 most people know who you are so if I or someone else left a mess Id have some one knocking on the door more than likely with a repair bill lol
So Ill water the backyard and practice the screwdriver popper trick.
S A Bogans video is great by the way :Y:

Rattail-1927 said:

Good Thinking Rattail, most dec coins are within the top few inches anyway and the coin popping method is a good skill to learn. I don't take any digging tools with me to parks, just my 5/16 stainless steel coin probe a pin-pointer (must have) and a small screwdriver/chisel hidden in my bum bag. If the pin-pointer cant locate the coin after I have detected it I will simply leave it and move on to the next. With my old 705 I would set the detector up to notch out anything under 28, I most likely missed lots of goods but I was there for the 1 and 2 dollar coins. (30-32) by memory.

cheers

My tip is to keep the sensitivity low (12-15) initially as it can be overwhelming how many targets (and junk) there can be in parks compared to the beach. Pinpointers aren't so necessary on the beach but I found it crucial in parks to help minimise ground disturbance and to speed up retreival.

A good pinpointer and screwdriver is they way to start out your park hunting adventures, just go for stuff near the surface until you get some rain to soften the ground up a bit and practice plugs in areas that are not so important until you are confident you won't leave nasty looking spots. Once the target is pinpointed you tap the screwdriver on the target and you can usually hear then whether it's a coin or aluminium too, that's what I mostly do anyway.

Never cut full plugs either, slit method is good but for deep targets, do 2 sides of a triangle and lever the plug up so the third side stays attached, that way the grass will likely not die back, only do it in dampish soil too. :Y:

Heatho said:
A good pinpointer and screwdriver is they way to start out your park hunting adventures, just go for stuff near the surface until you get some rain to soften the ground up a bit and practice plugs in areas that are not so important until you are confident you won't leave nasty looking spots. Once the target is pinpointed you tap the screwdriver on the target and you can usually hear then whether it's a coin or aluminium too, that's what I mostly do anyway.

Never cut full plugs either, slit method is good but for deep targets, do 2 sides of a triangle and lever the plug up so the third side stays attached, that way the grass will likely not die back, only do it in dampish soil too. :Y:
I'd say practice in your own back and front yard first until you nail it perfectly.... then venture out. :Y:

Sandta said:
Some sound advise in the above responses
My added advise ....
Practice on your mother in laws pristine lawn
You will soon know if your capable enough to go public
Now that may sound like a joke.... but im serious .
Making a mess of a public space WILL only lead to trouble
I like your idea better though mate ! :Y:

Thanks guys , as I said I gotta get my slit/plugs right before I head down to the park , its too dry atm , the couple of practice plugs were that dry when I flipped them all I had in my hand was grass with no soil ... in a small town every one knows u so Im going to be sure master my technique first . :Y: :Y:

Rattail-1927 said:
Thanks guys , as I said I gotta get my slit/plugs right in my yard before I head down to the park , its too dry atm , the couple of practice plugs were that dry when I flipped them all I had in my hand was grass with no soil ... in a small town every one knows u so Im going to be sure master my technique first . :Y: :Y:

rockdev said:
Rattail-1927 said:

Good Thinking Rattail, most dec coins are within the top few inches anyway and the coin popping method is a good skill to learn. I don't take any digging tools with me to parks, just my 5/16 stainless steel coin probe a pin-pointer (must have) and a small screwdriver/chisel hidden in my bum bag. If the pin-pointer cant locate the coin after I have detected it I will simply leave it and move on to the next. With my old 705 I would set the detector up to notch out anything under 28, I most likely missed lots of goods but I was there for the 1 and 2 dollar coins. (30-32)
cheers
I read on the forum somewhere that gold jewellery is about 10 tid ? Do you discriminate those as well?
I like your idea with the pinpointer being too deep move on, my pinpointer only works too about 60mm so be pretty much bang on...

Latest posts