Coin & Relic Show and tell in the Hunter.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its allways bloody gold....you looking for gold mate? Found any gold? Had a few drive past, and yell fill ya holes in. Its surprising the amount of people that walk up, ask what your looking for, and really surprised/impressed at what we show them. Theres a treasure hunter in all of us, I reckon :)

rocketaroo said:
Its allways bloody gold....you looking for gold mate? Found any gold? Had a few drive past, and yell fill ya holes in. Its surprising the amount of people that walk up, ask what your looking for, and really surprised/impressed at what we show them. Theres a treasure hunter in all of us, I reckon :)

There's a line or 3 there but you make it too easy. :p

rocketaroo said:

There was a little boy around 6 years old who was once so curious with what I was doing on the beach. His dad told him I was looking for landmines! But this kid was so fascinated he was watching us and kept asking if I found anything yet. Unfortunately all I could show him was some pull tabs :rolleyes: but I'm pretty sure that kid will want a detector too one day!

Ramjet said:
rocketaroo said:

There's a line or 3 there but you make it too easy. :p

No use them asking, if Ramjet has found any gold LOL

Gotta say I have to agree with the general public asking if you are looking for gold ... Kinda hard for most people to understand the joy you guys get finding old pennies and the odd silver coin ... I also struggle with that most times too! Gold - what else is there really? (Really!) ?

Paulmarr said:
Gotta say I have to agree with the general public asking if you are looking for gold ... Kinda hard for most people to understand the joy you guys get finding old pennies and the odd silver coin ... I also struggle with that most times too! Gold - what else is there really? (Really!) ?

I love the history, way more interesting than a piece of new gold jewellery. But an antique gold ring.....yeah baby!

Yeah the history is the best bit, I love digging gold nuggetts and think about doing so nearly every day but coins fill in the gaps between the gold trips and get the same buzz from coins as I can find them 5 minutes from home.

I am the same if a old person walks over to me and wants a chat I usually stop and chat as the info they have in their heads is the stuff you can not get on the internet. I was doing a area I had sussed out through some research and a lovely old lady came over and told me about a old Brothel of all things about 80 metres away from where I was detecting, story of the disgusting Americans soldiers going in and coming out all day and all night anywho I walked over to the site she pointed out and bang coins galore and came across one of my biggest coin spills I have ever found including the crown I found.

Ok you guys find the history and leave the gold for me! Keep your pull tab discriminators set to full and find all the copper and silver you can carry away!

Since we detect at night people mistake us for fisherman (we wear waders in winter) - and ask if we caught anything yet - so we joke with each other and wish "tight lines" whenever we go out detecting.

goldwright said:
Yeah the history is the best bit, I love digging gold nuggetts and think about doing so nearly every day but coins fill in the gaps between the gold trips and get the same buzz from coins as I can find them 5 minutes from home.

I am the same if a old person walks over to me and wants a chat I usually stop and chat as the info they have in their heads is the stuff you can not get on the internet. I was doing a area I had sussed out through some research and a lovely old lady came over and told me about a old Brothel of all things about 80 metres away from where I was detecting, story of the disgusting Americans soldiers going in and coming out all day and all night anywho I walked over to the site she pointed out and bang coins galore and came across one of my biggest coin spills I have ever found including the crown I found.

Yeah I started doing urban detecting for the same reason, just to get a swing when not gold detecting.

Paulmarr said:
Ok you guys find the history and leave the gold for me! Keep your pull tab discriminators set to full and find all the copper and silver you can carry away!

I dig plenty of pulltabs/old ringpulls looking for gold rings, Aldi got me 3 gold rings, this CTX is hindering me I reckon. Should get 1 in the near future, might have to start hitting the beaches soon too.

Latest posts