Coin & Relic Show and tell in the Hunter.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Please find photos of our day out at Two locations in the hunter,using Rods Ace 250 and pinpointer.Thanks again for your help,and here are a few photos of mine and Dans Haul :p

1447149329_new.jpg

1447149460_img_0377.jpg

1447149531_img_0372.jpg
1447149591_img_0374.jpg

If you find your hitting too much junk and sick of digging alloy, move well away from the area and find a place with nearly no signals and detect from there slowly for a change.

Buildups of alloy cans like that drive me crazy. If cleanup australia day was like it used to be or if we had 5c can refund recycling in vic we wouldn't have this issue..

Edit - sorry.. didn't see the coins at first and realised your somewhere public and well used. Will be alloy everywhere there :lol: modern junk sux

Thanks Atomrat you are right about cans!!!The 250 seemed to give a very similar noise to a coin.Only new to this,I have got a Sd2100 on lay - bye I realise it is a gold detector but what are your thoughts about using in parks and old sites?

I'm swinging a eureka gold sometimes which sort of has discriminator. It blanks / breaks the signal for iron but still squeels for alloy, gold, brass..etc so in a way they can be used.

I tend to only dig the signals with a snap like a 'bip' and this means I loose deeper signals which coild be coin / relic. I'd highly recommend gold detector for gold, and relic / coin detector for relics & coins.

I think something like an Xterra is a bit more open to both but I'm not positive here. Pretty new to detecting myself

Hi Jason, good to see you out in the field having a go at detecting. Digging junk is all a part of the learning process when first starting out, and it does take a few trips to learn your chosen detector properly. You still managed a few coins this trip, so off to a good start. ;)

As for your 2100, probably better off with a detector that has discrimination for junky parks, otherwise you will not only be digging all non ferrous targets, but every iron target as well. I know some guys in the forum have used their gpx5000's for coin hunting in parks, though I wouldn't imagine it would be the most ideal set up for such areas.

Older relic sites that hold less modern junk should be fine though, as a lot of "junk" discarded back then may well be considered as good finds these days. In fact pulse induction detectors are often used in the US for relic hunting, mainly due to depth capability, lack of modern junk, and since most deep targets are nearly always going to be older relics, regardless of whether they are iron or non-ferrous. All depends on the areas you detect, and the age of the finds likely to be found in those areas.

Either way, when you eventually get into the goldfields, you will most likely come across a fair few relics and the odd coin laying about the place. Best to dig everything in those circumstances.

If you get to use the Ace 250 again, have a go at using the pinpoint button to get an idea of the size of the target. If it pinpoints as a large target close to surface, it may well be an alloy can. Coins should pinpoint as a smaller target, and a lot weaker, especially if deeper pre-decimals. :)

People sit and have a beer or a coke and lose their coins, or at least they used to, now they just mostly sit and have a drink in the shade. Look near and under shaded areas, coins to be found, but alas the dreaded bottle tops. The modern ring pulls from cans I can usually get past which is good as they used to drive me nuts. The whole cans will signal slightly different and can be avoided with some practice, sometimes though the older ones will break into parts or people will deliberately sit and break them apart whilst chatting which is annoying.
On the plus side it does make you realize how badly we look after our living environment and when I teach the local kids metal detecting they see for themselves the damage caused by littering.
Good luck on future hunts.
C

Avenged said:
Well done Jason! Your finds are starting to look a lot like mine.. except you have more coins! :p
All part of the learning curve but still well done! :)
Thankyou for your feedback

I saw a vid on youtube of a guy that used a GPX almost as a pinpointer on English fields, he carried a paint spray can and put a dash of paint on signals then went back over them with another VLF Minelab to discriminate, digging everything that was too deep for the VLF to see. He figured he got some of his best and oldest coins doing that. Some of the places I go though the GPX would just be going crazy for yards and yards there's so much junk.
C

ColinD said:
I saw a vid on youtube of a guy that used a GPX almost as a pinpointer on English fields, he carried a paint spray can and put a dash of paint on signals then went back over them with another VLF Minelab to discriminate, digging everything that was too deep for the VLF to see. He figured he got some of his best and oldest coins doing that. Some of the places I go though the GPX would just be going crazy for yards and yards there's so much junk.
C
Mabey he collects pull-tabs and bottle tops :lol:

Dig it all :D and re check your holes i have found coins under trash on a couple of occasions now i.e 2 coins side by side giving a weird signal and a penny on top of a shilling, both could of easily been missed as the signals were strong but bumpy/jumpy which has usually been trashy items for me :)

It was a great first day out detecting! Lots of junk ( I can't believe some of the places we found aluminium cans) but a learning experience, with some modern coins, $5.60 out of the one hole, and some strange relics being found. Found it a little weird walking around public parks with a shovel, but hey, I think I'll get used to it. Might need a PA shirt and hat and maybe a fake badge or something, at least then we might fool people into thinking we're official and know what we're doing.

I have a fishing waistcoat with big poachers pockets, in one I keep a big screwdriver, I have my already switched on pinpointer and small plastic scoop in my left hand and Detector in my right hand, I feel it's quite low-key, the screwdriver will dig pretty much anything out, just have to be careful to keep it well away from the target, dig in at the side and push inward towards the target and you won't scratch the coins.
C

DAN77 said:
It was a great first day out detecting! Lots of junk ( I can't believe some of the places we found aluminium cans) but a learning experience, with some modern coins, $5.60 out of the one hole, and some strange relics being found. Found it a little weird walking around public parks with a shovel, but hey, I think I'll get used to it. Might need a PA shirt and hat and maybe a fake badge or something, at least then we might fool people into thinking we're official and know what we're doing.

Most people just ignore you. The curious will come up for a chat. ALWAYS talk to the old folk as they usually know the local history. It is amazing what events were held in parks and ovals back in the day. Weddings, circus, fetes, boxing tents, markets.....
I sometimes go detecting after work with my HiVis shirt on and a lot of people assume you are working and looking for pipes or wires etc.

Latest posts