Coil Size For Gold. Equinox 800.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. As a newbie to detecting I hope this isn't a stupid question,but can someone explain to me what benefits different coil sizes have over one another. I have just purchased an equinox 800 and only used it twice once in the local park and once in the bush. Have I made the right choice? I'm mainly after gold and have being panning/sluicing for a short while
Planned a trip to Nundle for a red hot crack at it, but sadly SF all closed due to fires
Thanks

There's a lot of good information if you google for coils size difference, but the simple answer is bigger coil deeper + larger area however you pickup more EMI and you have to dig a huge hole to find the target. Small coil means less EMI and greater sensitivity to small targets plus much better target separation, but small search area.

I also have the nox 800, and on high trash parks the 11 inch is a waste of time as multiple targets are always under the 11 inch coil, but the 6 inch is dynamite on it.
On the beach in the water the 11 inch is perfect size as it covers a good area but is still a nice size for recovering targets with a sand scoop

Thanks Perth Tim. That's what I thought,but maybe there was more to it. That explains it perfectly clear
Cheers merry Christmas

Latest posts