Clermont First Time

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Thinking of going to Clermont at Easter and camping at Theresa Creek Dam, I am not a super serious detectorist but just love walking through the bush with my Nox 800. Just wondering out of all the GPA area,s is anyone better than the other or is it scratch it and see.
Like I said I not not super serious but half a chance would be nice
thanks in advance
Gary

If you dont want to walk thru a rubbish dump ( literally) dont go to Town GPA.
If you dont want to be in an industrial area ( literally) dont go to Museum GPA
McDonalds Flats GPA is 70% pushes, scrapes & other disturbed ground, so def not "walking thru bush" but is noted for shallow tiny gold so might suit the NOX.
Black Ridge GPA is pretty much 90% rock & heavy machinery workings and low scrub.
In all the others they are mostly bush so you can bush walk & be by yourself to more or less degree, obviously the bigger the GPA the more chance of that.

You will have to see how they look when you get there since with the recent heavy rains it is likely that large areas will be heavy going when the grass/turkey bush takes off. At least it might be worth giving the creek beds a go,.... if you get there 1st....

Very accurate write up of Clermont :rolleyes: The only thing one would add is, good choice re Therese Creek Dam for camping despite distance from GPA's. Just don't stay at the Clermont caravan park, well not unless it has changed hands recently 🤭 . If ever I come across a place that needs lessons in customer relations ........................ thats it.
From what OP writes, a pay by day station would be a better option and usually camping is included in the price so ends up cheaper also. 👍

Thanks heaps for the replies guys really appreciate it , just out of interest is there any pay by day stations around the Clermont area , I dont mind that option if there is
Thanks again

Does anyone know what happened to ML1870 - the pay to stay/detect lease out at Cockatoo Dam (adjoining Birmigan East GPA) ?

I detected & stayed there a few times when Barry ran it but I believe it has new owners and I dont know whether they still allow detecting/camping.

Must be something happening as this was only Oct last year . This place camping was also my best experience of my trips to Clermont 🤙 Few years back now but was just good friendly guys running it.

Hi Guys
Thinking of going to Clermont at Easter and camping at Theresa Creek Dam, I am not a super serious detectorist but just love walking through the bush with my Nox 800. Just wondering out of all the GPA area,s is anyone better than the other or is it scratch it and see.
thanks in advance
Gary
Teresa Creek dam is a great place to stay. When you are not detecting there is good fishing and plenty of redclaw yabbies to be had. No power but flush toilets, hot showers and a cafe/shop for essentials with plenty of room. Feeding the parrots is also fun. We loved camping there and only stayed in the CP once, that was enough. I don't know what a site costs now but it would be worth it.

Hi Guys
thanks in advance
Gary
Went there yrs ago. Is, im not sure if i got this right, Lower Apsley? Only time I went there and took directions from a guy I once knew.
But Im sure
..maybe this, from Clermont going there, second entrance on the right that I know was correct, drive in....drive till you second fence? Or was it the second hill rise? Long ago. But either way it, that was on the right of you. Try both and either way you will be on it
Park. Walk to the left over the rise.
To the west, its low, but a very low but visible ironstone outcrop. Some very small old time looks. Below that detect. I got gold below that west and to the North.
Long long time ago and I have no idea if its still open. But Lower Aps was a good area. Hit n miss area but some great gold came out of there.
Very untouched areas there.

Went there yrs ago. Is, im not sure if i got this right, Lower Apsley? Only time I went there and took directions from a guy I once knew.
But Im sure
..maybe this, from Clermont going there, second entrance on the right that I know was correct, drive in....drive till you second fence? Or was it the second hill rise? Long ago. But either way it, that was on the right of you. Try both and either way you will be on it
Park. Walk to the left over the rise.
To the west, its low, but a very low but visible ironstone outcrop. Some very small old time looks. Below that detect. I got gold below that west and to the North.
Long long time ago and I have no idea if its still open. But Lower Aps was a good area. Hit n miss area but some great gold came out of there.
Very untouched areas there.
Thanks heaps Hobo

Thanks heaps Hobo
You are welcome. I highly don't think I'll go back there. Not because I dont want to but because I think im done travelling like I used to love. If I went there though, thats probably the first place id have a crack at in Clermont. To be honest that area looked like I was still in Victoria and maybe why I liked it. If its still open I do believe it's worth a go on the hills and rises. The gold I found there had ironstone inclusions with it, so maybe a good hint. Im no expert but id check the areas with ironstone gravels and outcrops. Good luck to you mate.

I like camping at Theresa Creek Dam but the downside is it’s about 21 km from town and the bulk of the GPA’s are on opposite side of town and it means more klms. I have also stayed on ML 1870 but now it’s run as a tour/trading camp for a fee. Then there’s the Caravan Park in town or (unofficial ) camping at Black Ridge GPA.

Maps of Clermont GPA’s are available here - https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/areas-facilities/fossicking/central-gold

Latest posts