Clegy Xterra 705 Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clegy

Justin Cleghorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thought I chuck up a thread and post some of my finds.
I must say I am finding some stuff I never even thought might be in the ground!

I am mainly a coin and relic hunter but as I live a few hours from Clermont
My goal is to do a bit of prospecting as well once i get this 705 worked out a little better.

With my finds, I'll also post anything I learned that day/night as I am pretty new to the scene.

Settings is a big topic so My settings for most of my hunts are as follows. I always play around a bit
but this is where I start each hunt.

AM Mode (All Metal)
99 (28) Tones - I do this as it helps me learn and I find it easier to get good stuff in among the trash.
I use auto to ground balance and pick a clear channel.
Sensitivity I start at 15 and depending on the level of craziness either lower or raise it from there.
Beach mode when in the sand.
I Always use headphones as well.
As I said these are my base settings.

Ok here's my first finds from Last Night. I hit a park where Teenagers hang out alot.
It was an interesting Hunt in the 90 minutes I had.

Notables finds:
My First ever $2 coin!, 1 cent piece (x2) and 2 cent piece.
My First ever LIVE Winchester .357 Magnum Bullet? Goes well with the LIVE .308 round I found earlier.
Not sure what the teenagers are doing down there?

Heres the pic, See you next hunt.

If your in or around Yeppoon Feel Free to shout out for a Hunt or a Beer or Both.

1439425928_12august2015.jpg

Well done Clegy, many more finds to come as you become more familiar with the 705. Good choice to hit the coins first before attempting prospecting, searching for gold with a vlf detector isn't an easy thing, and will take a lot of patience and understanding on how to set up the 705 properly. :)

Just took delivery of my trx pinpointer first hunt with it on my belt.
After some initial confusion I got that baby singing and my recovery time is at least 5 times faster.
BUT..... Got lazy with the pinpointing using my detector probably not so good in the long run for the skills.

Best find was a 1959 three pence in amongst 2 ring pulls. Got the faintest 40-42 reading with 16-18 bouncing either side, with some help from the trx (not its light its crap, still need a torch) located the pre dec under an old tree. ?

What I learned today......

I hit a small patch with very light sensitivity. Like 3-5. I then scoop up all the recent trash and coins etc. then I crank it up to like 20-23 and look for the deeper stuff.
Takes a little longer but that patch is cleaned out when I am done, by playing with settings etc it helps me learn and I find it easier in this mega-trash area to find the good stuff.

Here's the pic. Still digging just about everything. I figure if I clean the place up in the future a quick scan will do to pick up the spendables? ( retirement planning)

Thanks for the comments, having a ball.

1439593669_image.jpg

Having fun is what it is all about, glad to see you are enjoying yourself. Well done on the threepence as it is not always the easiest coin to detect, especially with lots of junk around. :)

Well done Clegy,... don't forget the close-up shot of your special finds Silver/Gold/Jewelery/Interesting,... good for us oldies that either can't see well or are inebreated at these later hours(ha). :D

Super mega junk in this park, in one swing I'll get 5 or more readings in the high traffic areas, the trees are even worse.

I've adjusted every setting and the 2 sweep method with different sensitivity is the only way to not blow my ears out.

I been there 3 times for about 8 hours and have covered maybe 10 percent.

Total finds:
About 35 coins from 1 cent up plus the three pence and a .357 bullet
But I have about 250 ring pulls and tabs and screw lids. ?

I think I need to borrow a 3khz 6 inch coil to sharpshooter better.
If the buy it my wife will cut off my ??

Thanks for the cool comments I'll do some better close up stuff and stop posting my ever growing pile of ring pulls and crap.

Long as I get a coin every 10th hole or so i just keep motoring till the missus rings and orders me home to paint. Damn cyclone repairs.

Happy hunting all!

The upside is...
Once youve cleaned out all that junk only the good stuff will be left :D :lol:
Thats just part of the game unfortunately
Some detectors obviously are better at identifying targets than others so I guess those owners dig less junk. But its not totally perfect.
Others like myself tend to dig more junk as my detector doesnt have a display , only sounds.
As you progress you will be more able to distinguish what your coil is seeing but you will always dig junk to some extent unless there is none there,and we all know the chances of that :rolleyes:

It's funny that the numbers for cool stuff are the same as that for crud. Same with sounds.

So when I see or hear a 18-20 it's normally a pull tab but sometimes it's a 20 Cent bit. I got a 1967 from an 18 so I dig em all.

Same with 30-32 it could be a goldy or a screw cap.

Training to use ears more I don't look at the display all the time now.

I just think when I dig the tab or lid That I'm one closer to that 20 or goldy.

More junk equals more cool stuff.

Thank the gods for pinpointers

Latest posts