Cleaning corrosion/ built up clay

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I have found some amazing crystals in the Victorian high country and they are so beautiful but full up with corrosion & built up clay!
I have tried ...
Soaking them for a short period of time
Soaking them for a long period time (only in soapy and jiff water though and I mean for weeks)
Scrubbing with a toothbrush
Scrubbing with a make up brush (both weak should I try a wire brush??)
Ill attach photos to get a better idea! Cant seem to get any of it off!

Please any tips and tricks welcomed :)

Happy hunting!
1554417391_60fdf5af-e130-472c-b401-5a61e1ed8319.jpg

Pat Hogen said:
Here is a link - https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Quartz-Crystals - I was told to use Alka Seltzer but you must have to use a lot because a little did not work for me.

This site looks better - https://www.mamasminerals.com/How-To-Clean-Quartz_ep_149.html

Happy cleaning!

Safety instructions from mamasminerals.com should not go astray:

Only use chemicals that are clearly labeled and store them in a secure area away from pets and children.
Keep a large container of clear water handy to wash off any chemical spills.
ALWAYS wear safety goggles & rubber gloves.
Don't work alone.
Avoid splattering.
Never pour water into acid -- always add acid to water.
Keep an ample supply of baking soda handy for acid spills.
Keep an ample supply of vinegar for alkali spills.
Rinse specimens well.

Too much oxalic acid can turn quartz yellow, so if you have light staining, only use about 2 tablespoons of oxalic acid per 1/2 gallon of water. Always remember to add acid to water, not water to acid! Let your mineral specimens soak for one to several days, or, if you're in a hurry (or the staining is very heavy), you can heat the solution by standing the bucket in the hot sun. Some people use an old crock pot instead of a plastic bucket, and heat their acid solution that way. Don't heat this solution on your kitchen stove, and don't use any kind of metal container. Do this procedure outside, particularly if you heat (never boil) the acid, as it puts off poisonous fumes. Oxalic acid is mild as acids go, but rubber gloves are a good idea when handling either the acid solution or your specimens until they are well rinsed.

If youre still having problems Ill put up the recipe that we use at work to break down heavy clay when needing to wash soils for testing

I have an OPAL rock that has clay stuff imbedded in it like this Quartz, tired picking it out was going to get rough, tried soaking it in water..

It looks like a piece of coral with little branches, be awesome to have the rubbish out of it.

Any idea's ?

I will have to dig it up and provide a picture.

thank you everyone this was so much information just what I needed! :) I will post a photo of it when it is finished :) thanks again!! :)

Latest posts