Classifier sizes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y4k

Reaction score
Just wondering how many and what sizes are recommended when it comes to classifiers. Ive seen auctions on ebay for 9 piece sets but wondering if i really need that many (not to mention the prices are a little over the top) if i could get away with 3, 4 or even 5 what sizes should i be looking at to make the whole process easier? Seems 1/100 is the smallest i can find on ebay, do i need to go that small? Keeping in mind id like to make final clean up as easy on myself as possible.
Any help appreciated, Regards y4k

I guess it depends on the material being classified. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say on this to. I'm thinking the finer the better.

Gday y4k, it all comes down to what you want to find and what type of ground your on?
Are you hunting gold or gemstones?
What type of process are you using: pan, sluice, high banker, dry blower etc?
And finally what sort of soil you have to work with: sand, gravel, slate or shale, topsoil, stony riverbed, mud or wet/ dry clay beds?
If you are a gem hunter, probably a 1inch through to 1/4 inch set will do. Though some gem specimens can get quite small and you may need to go down to 1/8th or 1/16 inch.
As an alluvial prospector myself I use mainly my 1/2 and 1/4inch to grade down gravel then a fine 1/20th to seperate the very finest sands.
If you have some more info on the method your using and the ground you have to work I can probably help a little more.
Cheers, TGW

Chewy said:
I guess it depends on the material being classified. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say on this to. I'm thinking the finer the better.
Sorry forgot to add they will be used with my highbanker so will be mostly river gravels...but curious to know how many steps others use in the whole process and at the end of the scale how fine should i be screening my cons to make final clean up as easy as possible, i would imagine that 1/100 would make life the easiest but does anyone actually classify to that fine or is it not really necessary?

The Green Wanderer said:
Gday y4k, it all comes down to what you want to find and what type of ground your on?
Are you hunting gold or gemstones?
What type of process are you using: pan, sluice, high banker, dry blower etc?
And finally what sort of soil you have to work with: sand, gravel, slate or shale, topsoil, stony riverbed, mud or wet/ dry clay beds?
If you are a gem hunter, probably a 1inch through to 1/4 inch set will do. Though some gem specimens can get quite small and you may need to go down to 1/8th or 1/16 inch.
As an alluvial prospector myself I use mainly my 1/2 and 1/4inch to grade down gravel then a fine 1/20th to seperate the very finest sands.
If you have some more info on the method your using and the ground you have to work I can probably help a little more.
Cheers, TGW
As im relatively new to the whole prospecting thing i dont really have any spots that i frequent and have actually only been to Russels Crk thus far so the materials to be classified will be a bit of a mystery to me aswell until i become a little more seasoned...which will no doubt be sooner rather than later as i was greeted first thing this morning with 'Sorry, but we are making u redundant...' down side - no more toys for awhile, up side - plenty of time to perfect my craft lol. So river gravels will be the bulk of my classifying for the moment, Cheers

y4k said:
Just wondering how many and what sizes are recommended when it comes to classifiers. Ive seen auctions on ebay for 9 piece sets but wondering if i really need that many (not to mention the prices are a little over the top) if i could get away with 3, 4 or even 5 what sizes should i be looking at to make the whole process easier? Seems 1/100 is the smallest i can find on ebay, do i need to go that small? Keeping in mind id like to make final clean up as easy on myself as possible.
Any help appreciated, Regards y4k

I like to be prepared for any size gold so set myself up with a complete Garrett copy set 1/20, 1/30, 1/50 1/70, 1/100 , the Garrett copy set was purchased in the USA 12 months ago and got it really cheap when the $USD was favourable. So far they seem ok.

I also have as well 1/4, 1/8 aluminum which I have had for ages.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/outdoorsupplyinc/

1433386389_s-l140.jpg

Tks Gazza for taking the time to reply, will bite the bullet and grab the set as u did...if i dont use them all they can collect dust in the shed, Cheers.

Had no idea so few ppl actually use classifiers or have any information on them lol ;)

Personally I don't bother with anything other than 1/4" and 1/8". Biggest problem with all the micro sieves is the gold in that sieve size stays with the heavies of the same size and you then still need to put it all into a clean up sluice/gold wheel, if that's your cup of tea. Far better off just classifying all your banker/sluice concentrates through the 2 above mentioned sieves, and then cleaning up what goes through the 1/8" sieve only.

You shouldn't find anything in the 1/4" sieve as that size gold will be right at the head of the banker or sluice and will inevitably be seen before the initial clean up. Still check the 1/4" sieve though as surprises seem to occasionally show themselves, especially in the form of species.

Most people I know with a set of micro sieves have them stored in the top shelf of the cupboard after their initial use. At least that's where mine are, and I only get out the 1/16" sieve if I'm in a diamond area.....not too many big diamonds around these days unless you have mates at Argyle. ;)

Wal.

I used to lol but unfortunately over the yrs have lost contact with them all, even had a grand plan to dive the huge outlet pipes of the lake after hearing reports there might be diamonds there...
Tks WalnLiz, appreciate the input

My two are 1/2 inch for most general panning and 1/4 inch if taking samples. Got a 1/2 inch bucket sieve inspired by Agman diy build for greater processing power. Smaller or larger is not much use to me I'm afraid. Keep the cash for a few pans (turbo pan is a winner for sampling), better shovel etc. Aim for stainless woven mesh last a lifetime.

the only time you need to classify below 1/8 inch is for treating your concentrates at the end of the day for further treatment in a blue bowl or a table out in the field 1/4 inch is a good standard to aim for any gold larger than that will be easy to spot in the sieve

My two cents... I run a recirculating highbanker and based on my system we need to classify to -1/2" before running the material as a general rule. However, I was taught to classify based on the size of gold to be recovered (not the size of the material). We sometimes use a 1/4" but the smaller you go the more time it takes to classify. The other thing you need to consider is not all classifiers are created equal. If you think you will be using it often then get a heavy duty one and not a cheap plastic or lesser quality steel one. The depth of the classifier is also a consideration as some are stackable (shallow depth) while the HD ones will handle more material and abuse. I was given a complete set of brass classifiers from a testing lab that start at 30 and go to 200. I use all of them in the winter to classify my concentrates before running them through a blue bowl. Every classification produces gold.

I'm only interested in gold...
Classifying drives me batty & only do so if I have to.

Get yourself a couple of Garrett Pans. Pretty well illiminates the need for sieving in my opinion/experience.
If you are highbanking, you shouldn't need to classify. The grizzly bars on the top hopper do the classifying for you & the spraybar breaks up the clumps.
Just shovel in as fast as your HB can handle.

When I'm just panning - in general I don't classify at all.
I use Garret pans & they trap any gold no problems. The bigger rocks help break down clay & wash the smaller rocks.

When river sluicing with good flow, I generally just use a 1/2" bucket sieve(fast & efficient) unless it's only fine gravel I'm digging- then it goes straight in the sluice.
With minimal water flow, I'll go to 1/4"

Any smaller, it takes too long to process/classify. Then I'm better off just panning than sluicing.

Just how I do it.

Tks guys, appreciate the input. Will be using a highbanker mostly myself so will let it do the majority of classifying for me and maybe just grab a couple of sizes to assist with making panning of the cons a little easier, as my panning could probably still use a bit of work lol

Latest posts