Checked out my parents farm

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to my parents farm for Easter and thought to check out the old river that used to run though the property.

Here is some of the pics I took to show how deep the river was. Took a few sample bucket loads but I highly doubt there is anything there. I did find quartz and other stones that are normally found with gold but due to no records of gold found there is why I
1459054756_dsc_08801.jpg
am doubtful.

1459054510_dsc_08771.jpg

1459054644_dsc_08781.jpg

1459054671_dsc_08791.jpg

use the search feature at the top of the page mate (mag glass icon) type in loaming and you are away.. :)

Search for loaming on this site for how to do it. There are different strongly held interpretations of what the definition is ranging from pan sampling to geochemical sampling but at our level it doesn't matter as we aren't going to send samples off to a lab for assay. Loaming for me is taking a pan sample and recording the location for exploration or locating a target and post process in a pan at the end of the day (or where water is available). You can return to the area between where the samples do and don't contain gold, you know the target is somewhere in between. You infill from there, follow up hill etc. You've done the first bit in locating a creek with gold, next you could initially sample say every 100m until the gold stops if the source is upstream.
Jon

Thanks guys, given myself a plan of attack.

Have a hunch the gold might have come from the plenty river or washed down from Kinglake.

At least i have about 500 meters of dry creek to work with when I'm bored.

If youre that bored get a pick and shovel , go to the deepest part of the creek and dig a trench across the creek right down to bedrock and pan what you find.

also pan at levels on the way down too , if its 120 cm down to bedrock , sample at the surface and every 30 cm intervals.

also pan any layers where you see alot of heavies like ironstone , or layers that sit on top of gray clay.

when you get to bedrock , sweep it or pick out crevices and pan that , then keep digging up or downstream at bedrock level looking for crevices that run across the creek flow, thats where the best gold will probably be , in crevices in the bedrock.

it might sound like hard work but thats how the old timers did it in the goldrush , and in fact they didnt mind digging 50 - 100 such holes until they struck one with lunch money.

Apparition said:
Thanks guys, given myself a plan of attack.

Have a hunch the gold might have come from the plenty river or washed down from Kinglake.

At least i have about 500 meters of dry creek to work with when I'm bored.

"Loaming"

I know there is differing opinions on the definition, but this is my point of view which has come from reading & listening to blokes who know!!
Loaming is a "Systematic" method of sampling (Soil Sample) for Gold shedding down a slope looking for the source of that gold!!!!
It is conducted once your gully sampling program has defined a point where the Gold is entering your Gully.

Just have a look at the name "Loaming" you generally don't find "Loam" in gullies! you find "Alluvium" the word "Loaming" in my opinion should be used to identify the method I describe above to reduce confusion.
cheers
Lee

Latest posts