Change.org Petition For QLD Fossickers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done mate.. Really do hope this does make a movement Len, it just seems very ridiculous and odd too me how different our rules are compared too all other states.. Hopefully enough voices too be heard can make a change.

Smithy

Thanks Cody, all we can do is try, if we make enough noise maybe we'll get the oil....or gold.

I agree lets try to open up more areas first then work from there. We have nothing from the government as far as designated areas go for prospecting for gold here in central queensland, there is the clermont fields but they are all general permission areas that the private land holders has opened up, which is still a long way for alot of people 4-5 hour drive for me. A big chunk of the goldfields around rockhampton is all national park and state forests, would be nice to be allowed access to these areas.

Love what ya doin len and hope it changes things for us in qld.

I spoke with David at jimna info centre earlier this year .. to see if any private land owners would like to open up for fossicking..increase the tourism to the sleepy town.
I have not had a reply...but he managed to save his fire tower

That would be good yobs. Good looking country up there. Got a few maps off him about two years ago and he pointed out where a couple old mines are but as you say its all private or state forest. A lot of history up there

It's on those pics when i looked for old pics of deep creek aye?

I like that idea yobs l. Definitely something that has the kids invovled, need to show that we aren't out to wreck the place but to get the kids outdoors and with nature and away from the computer screens

Ok guys did some editing on the petition can you run your eyes over it before I post and check if it comes across ok am I hitting the right and relevant points that we want to address, and check for grammar and spelling mistakes, thanks so much guys for all your help and advice. Oh ....we have a very nice picture on the site now.

For a long time now fossickers and prospectors in QLD have faced draconian and inequitable laws when it comes to our hobby.

The laws will not let us use highbankers, (sluices and hopper with motor to pump water), other states can use virtually whatever they like within certain guidelines of course, some do have their own restrictions, to get into the whole list of laws is not appropriate for this forum. QLD laws state that we cannot use any mechanical means, i.e. not petrol motors to pump the water, not even a 12v battery, all has to be hand done.

So we're asking the Honorable Dr Anthony Lynham MP to hear our requests to open up more area's for us, to allow us to use a Highbanker, i.e. mechanical means. To use a motorized pump either petrol or 12v battery in QLD.

We here in QLD, have very limited area's to fossick/prospect, there is nothing around Brisbane, the local govt's have closed off area's like Gold Creek, Burpengary Creek, Enoggera Creek. Whereas in states like Vic, NSW, WA, and SA, they have far more access to area's then we do here in QLD.

For instance to get anywhere from Brisbane to go and have a fossick, the closest is Gympie, 1 1/2 hours away, the next closest is Warwick some 2 1/2 hours away.

The area is restricted in Gympie around Deep Creek, they have yellow posts where you can't go past up from the creek, meaning the whole area has been inundated with people fossicking the area. I have contacted the Premiers office and was sent to the Mining and Resources office, because I was asking for the total amount of registered fossickers and prospectors here in QLD. The reply, was, and you wont' believe this, they had 'NONE' yes NONE. The excuse was that they have outlets all over QLD collecting money for the licenses, like the information center at Gympie.

So the question is, where is all the money going then?

We here in QLD are being victimized severely in regard to fees and area's to fossick and tools that we can use. The harsh system that has been imposed on QLD fossickes is Non- Australian and needs to change.

All we want is more area's to fossick and enjoy our hobby, and pay a fee that is relevant to the accessibility for us all. We call for relativity.

QLD Fossicking Licenses

1 month Individual$7.50 no GST applicable

Family $10.80 no GST applicable NA

6 months

Individual $28.50 no GST applicable

Family $36.60 no GST applicable

1 year

Individual $47.90 no GST applicable

Family$64.10 no GST applicable

Vic Licenses

A miners right valid for 10 years can be purchased for $17.70.

NSW:

You can apply for a 12-month state-wide permit from Forestry Corporation online for $27.50 including GST. This allows small-scale fossicking for recreational, tourism or educational purposes in State forests.

A single permit may cover a family group with a maximum of 5 people covered by a permit (2 adults and 3 children under 18 years of age).

WA:

$25 FOR LIFE....get that for LIFE. We pay $2.00 more just for 6 lousy months. Tell me this if fair!

SA...NONE. They can basically go anywhere but for private land they have to get permission, this is the case in most states and is the way it should be.

Small time fossickers only dig a hole and pan it looking for some color, most fossickers are respectable people and have a healthy respect for the environment and strive at all times to keep area's neat and tidy.

Then there is the other side of mining like the...

This hobby is great to tourism in the various area's, whether it by Gympie, Warwick and other QLD sites. It is great fun for families as you can see in the picture, it's a healthy outdoor activity with some exercise involved, good to get our Children out and learning the history of an era long passed, and get them away from being stuck in front of the computer all day.

And it certainly does a lot more harm to the environment as compared to say, the coal seem gas exploration happening in QLD at the moment, set to decimate local farmers and their livelihood. Or some of the overseas multi corporations who want to mine in QLD in a large capacity, like the proposed Carmichael Coal Mine and Rail Project which will be an Open-cut and underground coal mine with a yield of 60 million tonnes per annum and a 189-kilometre railway line. By the Adani Mining Pty Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of India's Adani Group.

Then there's the New $6.7 billion coal mine proposed for the Galilee Basin

An Environmental Impact Statement has been submitted for a new $6.7 billion coal mine in Queenslands Galilee Basin.

The China Stone Coal project is being proposed by MacMines Austasia, part of the Meijin Energy Group.

The company wants to build a large-scale greenfield coal mine with a yield of up to 38 million tonnes per annum of thermal coal.

If these applications get approved, how much damage are they going to do to the environment compared to the week-end prospector?

By the way, I asked the Govt for the total ares set aside in QLD for fossicking and they can't or won't give me that either, been passed from pillar to post to Freedom Of Information, they said to try the QLD dept of mineral and resources, they are the one's who sent me to the FOI in the first place. I'm not playing that game.

Just found out apparently

Please help us get some equity and a level playing field here in QLD so that we don't feel like a minority carrying the most draconian treatment of honest good hard working Queenslanders whose hobby happens to be going for a dig, have a pan and hopefully find some gold or gems.

Thank You For Your Support

Kind Regards

Len Cecchetto

Hahaha i always have been! im just a modest guy raising his kids and loving it!...best fun ever!!! Active parenting....cant beat it. ;)

Hmmm just found this one was 'more'. And changed to, 'less' my bad

And it certainly does a lot less harm to the environment as compared to say, the coal seem gas exploration happening in QLD at the moment

yobskin said:
Hahaha i always have been! im just a modest guy raising his kids and loving it!...best fun ever!!! Active parenting....cant beat it. ;)

Yeah good on ya mate.

Maybe not a good thing comparing it to these multi billion dollar mineing applications going on at the moment. Thats a completely different ball game, we are just modest hard working people looking for more area opened up to fulfill our hobby. I dont know just my opinion. Still love what ya doing len :)

Latest posts