Central Queensland Newby - Advice requested please.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gudday all. This morning I did my first ever attempt at fossicking. Found an old 5c piece. (Yay - it's something). I have been investing the past six months doing research before embarking on my maiden mud-mosh. In that time we have had a category 4 cyclone (Marcia) that hopefully has provided some high-point alluvial gold opportunities (thank you JR and DrDuck). I purchased an inexpensive gold detector, point locator but no pans. I think I might need to learn how to pan for gold. I don't have any sluices, or filters or separators or thingy bobs that vibrate the rock - yet. I am just after some ideas on how to start finding a few small bits so my 11yr old disabled son can have quality excitement with his old man when he comes up to see me on holidays. I told him all about it and he was so excited he started crying on the phone last night. So, for me, this is about far more than just finding gold (although that is his intention as he wants to buy a minecraft castle one day....hey, we can all dream, right?). Any tips, ideas or recommendations I am grateful for....

Youtube has lots of videos showing how to pan for gold. Start there, buy a pan and learn to use it properly. If possible find an experienced fossicker to teach you in person.

As gedanate says have a look on youtube for demonstrations. A Garrett pan kit is a good multi pan starter and contains a classifier, bottles etc. Panning is basically moving your gravel in suspension in water so the heavier minerals fall to the bottom and as the gravel passes out of the pan, the heavies get caught in the riffles. Your results depend on where you get your gravel from. Go to an area that contains gold. Get your dirt from concentration areas such as behind boulders or from cracks in river bedrock. Panning is a precursor to sluicing by understanding your environment. My kids are wrapped from getting a flake in a pan from flood gold just from a sand bar so you can't go too wrong. The important thing is to get out there, don't forget the sausage sandwiches.
Jon

Use a few small bits of lead in the pan to practice with,... if you start with 3 bits in the pan and find 3 bits in the pan after your practice runs, then you are a panner and ready to go.

I think panning would be a better experience for you and your son - depending on the location of course, but detecting you can often go days without finding anything, especially as a beginner. I clocked up around 50 hours of detecting time before I found my first nugget.

whereas if you were to begin panning, you can enjoy each others company without as much distraction or concentration. and assuming you're in a good location you should always have something to show for your efforts at the end of the day!

I wish my dad took me out looking for gold when I was younger! Now I have to drag him out and show him how to do it :p

Two pieces of advice for ya Doc from one Queenslander to another.
Be kind to ya mother and dig where the gold is and not where it ain't.
Sorry Doc I couldn't resist.
Good Luck mate and I hope you find that lost reef of gold.
Cheers
Mackka

Latest posts