Castlemaine Victoria area information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heya All,

I'm heading to Castlemaine for a few days as of tomorrow with the mrs. I'm planning on doing a bit of panning whilst we're there.

Left it a bit late to get a John Tully map, but hope to pick one up on Sunday or Monday.
Until then I'm a bit lost.

Anyone got any suggestions of a creek to try out?

I'll be panning & if any/enough water using the little sluice.

Not sure if Vodafail has mobile coverage there.

Ag Man

I dont pan or sluice but have the Tully map with me here now. Forest Creek runs on an east west line through the diggings - sailors Flat, Argus Flat etc, then turns north through to Chinamans Camp area, Chinaman point etc. It is just north of the Pyrenees Highway. There is also Fryers creek down south that also runs through diggings. There is also Cambells Creek etc. The tourist joint may have the maps - they certainly do at Maryborough and Dunolly gold prospecting shops. The creeks appear to be on Crown land in a lot places. Just rang a mate - he said that the creeks around Fryerstown (south of Chewton) historically have some colour. Also he mentioned that Forest Creek off Golden Point Rd just out of Chewton is Ok on the western side of the road. (Thats the Chinamans area) Chewton is right next to castlemaine. There is info on it plus tourist maps for sure at the Castlemaine tourist joint. I reckon if you just do some google earth checks you may get some idea. Sorry I cant help much more than that mate. There should be water around but I'm not 100% sure on that. Cant upload Tullys map (that would be a very bad idea reference copyright) If you google 'castlemaine diggings national heritage park, Parks Vic have info ples a good map of the whole area mentioned above.
Good luck mate

Chewton Tourist Map

1379649224_chewton.jpg

Thank you. I did have a quick look at a parks vic(one of them mob) & on their map the Forest creek is in some historic significance area. Also that creek is on the no-go list ?
I'll go have a look & ask around locally what the go is.
Best I get one of them maps hey.
Cheers

AG - never seen anyone get done in any of these areas. Have seen a few folk about panning so it all looks good.

Prospecting is also permitted in designated areas in the following Parks:
Beechworth Historic Park
Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park
Chiltern-Mt Pilot National Park
Enfield State Park
Greater Bendigo National Park
Heathcote-Graytown National Park
Kooyoora State Park
Paddys Ranges State Park
Reef Hills State Park
St Arnaud Range National Park
Steiglitz Historic Park
Warrandyte State Park

On the road heading south towards Daylesford is a rest stop on i think its Campbell's creek was a sluice set up in there last year and others do a bit of panning always water in it

Hey cuz,
I had the HB out in chewton.
But get up in the hills and crevice a creek there :)
I caught up with DD there and dudette nailed a .8 bit
in a creek.
Given the area, your expertizzzze and the amount of gold
found youll have colours in no time. If you find the plaque for the
biggest prospecting rally, there is a creek 100 below it. Work north, look for tradition
holding spots and you are in business :)

Thanx cuz,
6 months ago we bought our dog from breeders who have the dog kennels on Golden Point Rd.
Whilst chatting I asked them if there was any gold in the creek opposite them.
They started saying how that creek was once the richest alluvial goldfield in Vic.
Anyway I just nodded & thought "yeah right...".
Gots home & googled that creek & they was right.

Any colour is good colour but some pickers would be lovely.

I had a poke about in the general area yesterday in the area bordered by Taradale, Chewton and Fryerstown.
Very nice area and lots of gully's and creek for you to play in.
Only had to drop it into low range once for a water crossing, tracks are reasonable.

1379723250_tarad04.jpg

Thanks for posting.
I'll just be in a little Daihatsu car, so won't be venturing anywhere tooo far off the beaten track.
Getting a little excited - haven't been out for a few months...

AG - don't even be tempted to go near Porcupine Ridge in the Daihatsu (south of Vaughan). There is some accessible crown land for a small low car but the rest is a nightmare. Best of times I pray to the god of winches that I don't need to use it. Good luck mate - I hope you have some good finds.

Thanks guys.
Main purpose of going here is a bit of relax time with Mrs Ag & to catch up with some friends.
Checked into a little one bedroom 1860's miners cottage - very cool! If only these walls could talk...
So many beautiful old buildings & houses here - it's hard to keep yer eyes on the road whilst driving...
Going for a drive soon & check out some local attractions( & scout out a panning spot for an arvo session).
Monday going to head into Bendigo & check out one of this site's sponsors - www.aussiedetectors.webs.com/ who have recently opened a new shop in town. Grab a Tully map & maybe some other goodies :D

Had a bit of a scratch around Forest creek this arvo for an hour or so. Got a couple of colours but nothing to get excited about. That place will have been turned over so many times since the 1850's...
Had the mass protest there that 14,000 miners attended.

Went to Bendigo & spent a few dollars.

hey guys anyone from around Castlemaine area that can teach a newb to hunt gold like a pirate? Yarr!! :)

Hi Ag Man, just seen your post, hope you had a good time. Barkers Creek just out of Castlemaine driving towards Harcourt is good little area on the east side of the railway line. Cheers

Thanks Highway.
I did see Barkers Creek & thought about having a pan but the creeks were running fairly high last week due to all the rain we had.

During the 4 days, I only did about 2hrs of panning - got a couple of colours for my efforts.
This weekend ended up being more a relaxing weekend for us & did a lot of touristy things & ate out a lot :D

I will organise to go there again to pan but only once I got my 4B on the rd & as a boys weekend, so we can get some serious creek time.

To be honest, I thinks it's Called the Golden triangle more for the nuggets rather the fine gold... I get more colours from any of my local creeks that are only 1/2 an hour from home rather than the 3 hr drive to Castlemaine.

I do love how "Old" Castlemaine remains/feels - very few modern buildings in town...

Bro, next time you can take my 2100 for some
Nug hunting.
I had the same experience in that river with DD and
we moved a few tonne with the old HB.
We had better colour in crevices in dry creek beds through
the hills.
Look forward to that boys trip.

Hey all, I am about to venture out to Castlemaine and start doing some hunting around there. Are the creeks any good around there and if anyone has any good tips for me I would be very greatful. I swing an AT gold, so I will be panning and detecting. Is around the water wheel hit hard, does anyone know
Thanks in advance
Steve

Latest posts