Can you metal detect in a National Park

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday, I visited a national park, here on the NSW south coast, and asked a gate attendant, who was manning
the entrance fee booth, to confirm whether metal detecting was permitted on the beach areas open to the public.
She said she didn't think so but tried to contact the Rangers, who were apparently within the park somewhere, by
2 way and mobile phone, both without success. She took my number and said she would get back to me but has not
some 24 hrs+ later.
I didn't take my detector out of the car in fear of incurring a fine if it indeed proved to be an illegal activity.
There were many signs within the park telling you what you could and couldnt do but none made reference to metal
detecting.
Does anyone know whether it is permitted?
I know I can contact the National Parks people directly but just wondered what members had discovered in the past.

cheers
Wayne

Hey Wayne, prospecting and fossicking in a national park is illegal. If you were just looking for coins and other stuff appart from gold then you may be allowed but only up to the high tide mark I think, though it would most likely be frowned upon.

My advice would be to try and contact the ranger again, have a chat with them and take their advice, I'm pretty sure they will not allow it though.

Which Beach. ?
You can reply via email if you wish.
As you can tell,
I live in Tathra.

I have detected on a beach In northern NSW but to get to the beach I had to go through and park in a national park.You can detect the beach legally but you need to notify national parks and wild life as they need take you details of what day time ect you will be there.That way if caught by the ranger in the park you wont be charged. :Y:

National parks only go down to the high tide line but would be best to inform rangers that you will be carrying your detector through the park to access the beach.

I have done recoveries in National parks / State Forests and have to say the Rangers and and Department people i have spoken to have been helpful and supportive....

But also quite clear as to what might happen if I was to be found to be doing more that what was agreed to...

As one said to me, You have explained and have had the owner also validate your reasons for requesting access.

Should you decide to do other stuff as well; ie you are attempting to pull a swiftie; then you will be in breach of any number of regs etc and the fine and loss of you gear will be the least of your concerns... A court case will determine if you get your car and gear back :)

He was the same ranger that then directed me to another area, where others had reported lost items. Found some scrap and a cheep ring but nothing substantial.. He was a top guy, but would not want to cross him... He has since been transferred to another park, which is a shame....

There are only 2 NP's in NSW that you are allowed to Fossick and Prospect in.... Torrington(near Glen Innes) and the other one is down south somewhere....
Now with the New rules in place, you can apply to NPWS for Approval in other parks, but it is a long drawn out process I believe...

LW....

LoneWolf said:
There are only 2 NP's in NSW that you are allowed to Fossick and Prospect in.... Torrington(near Glen Innes) and the other one is down south somewhere....
Now with the New rules in place, you can apply to NPWS for Approval in other parks, but it is a long drawn out process I believe...

LW....

Think they are still State Conservation Areas :D

In WA we aren't permitted to prospect in any manner in State Forests or National Parks, but mining companies can get a lease, cut down all the trees (literally), dig the shite out of it, & create a massive scar on the landscape, & call it a benefit. Jobs are a benefit, but the lions share of $$ goes elsewhere!

I asked for Wilson's Prom and got the below response.

Thank you for your email. Yes, you can use a metal detector on the beach between the low and high tide marks. To retrieve anything detected, you may only excavate the site with your hand. Any holes you have made need to be backfilled.

As you suggested, it would be best to do any detecting when the beach is quieter, so early morning or evening would be fine.

Mark.

Latest posts