Can you ID is tree please ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to ID this tree and find out where it may have originated from.

Can you help ?

1576553495_a.jpg

1576553496_b.jpg

:)

OOhh yeah nah I thought you were pointing to the one closer to the lens :) :lol:

Well done folks, that was quick ! :eek:
Some info below about them.

I saw that it was a 'different' tree of older ancient branch and leaf configuration like the Wollemi, turns out it is. ;)

So now the big ask, does anyone have a full seed pod ?

The Bunya (bunya-bunya, bunyi, booni-booni or bonya in various aboriginal dialects), while indeed still a conifer, is not a true pine. It belongs to an ancient family of coniferous trees known as Araucariaceae.
The greater Araucariaceae family, literally like something out of Jurassic Park, were distributed almost worldwide during the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods, becoming entirely extinct in the northern hemisphere toward the end of the Cretaceous and now found exclusively in the southern hemisphere, survived by approximately 41 species across three genera.
Other members of the family include the iconic Kauri of New Zealand , the Norfolk Island Pine and Australias other living fossil the Wollemi Pine. The Bunya shares the same genus with another good food source, Araucaria araucana, the Monkey Puzzle tree of Chile.

Question is, what is it doing where I found it, some research to do.....

Thank you people

:) :perfect:

Greenhornet_au said:
Well done folks, that was quick ! :eek:
Some info below about them.

I saw that it was a 'different' tree of older ancient branch and leaf configuration like the Wollemi, turns out it is. ;)

So now the big ask, does anyone have a full seed pod ?

The Bunya (bunya-bunya, bunyi, booni-booni or bonya in various aboriginal dialects), while indeed still a conifer, is not a true pine. It belongs to an ancient family of coniferous trees known as Araucariaceae.
The greater Araucariaceae family, literally like something out of Jurassic Park, were distributed almost worldwide during the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods, becoming entirely extinct in the northern hemisphere toward the end of the Cretaceous and now found exclusively in the southern hemisphere, survived by approximately 41 species across three genera.
Other members of the family include the iconic Kauri of New Zealand , the Norfolk Island Pine and Australias other living fossil the Wollemi Pine. The Bunya shares the same genus with another good food source, Araucaria araucana, the Monkey Puzzle tree of Chile.

Question is, what is it doing where I found it, some research to do.....

Thank you people

:) :perfect:

Very good question what is it doing there. Its the same question I asked every time Im out in the bush. For example. Back in the day they planted trees as guides to where they were going Willow trees along the river was a sign of camp or house. Peppercorn trees was used in dry lands.

Smoky bandit said:
That tree would be only 20years old maybe 30 if it's had a hard life.

After the ID, I did some reading and I reckon you are about right, its just a puppy and about 10m tall, it just stood out amongst the Norfolks
so I am wondering why it is there.

More research on that one, I didnt see any 'nuts' and would love to get hold of one with seeds.

This tree is down south of Adelaide, so it is exposed to a lot of wind and can get quite cold, but they are meant to be down in Tas and doing ok there.
Maybe they are tougher after a certain age.
Also this one is near what I think is a 'recognised' Aboriginal burial site.

Any one go some nuts I can have ?

(yes , I left myself open right there :rolleyes: )

:)

Latest posts