Can you ID is tree please ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had one about 10m from the house which was about 40/45ft tall, My cousin told me you can roast the nuts and eat them, I wouldn't know for sure I never tried it.

Ridge Runner said:
We had one about 10m from the house which was about 40/45ft tall, My cousin told me you can roast the nuts and eat them, I wouldn't know for sure I never tried it.

Apparently you certainly can eat the seeds, they are meant to taste like chestnuts, roasted or boiled.
They can be dried and ground into flour too.

Something I would like to try.

:)

Greenhornet_au said:
Smoky bandit said:
That tree would be only 20years old maybe 30 if it's had a hard life.

After the ID, I did some reading and I reckon you are about right, its just a puppy and about 10m tall, it just stood out amongst the Norfolks
so I am wondering why it is there.

More research on that one, I didnt see any 'nuts' and would love to get hold of one with seeds.

This tree is down south of Adelaide, so it is exposed to a lot of wind and can get quite cold, but they are meant to be down in Tas and doing ok there.
Maybe they are tougher after a certain age.
Also this one is near what I think is a 'recognised' Aboriginal burial site.

Any one go some nuts I can have ?

(yes , I left myself open right there :rolleyes: )

I may have some nuts you can have. :)
I'll look tomorrow arvo and see if there's any.
They only produce the nuts every so often.Sometimes it can be years before it drops it's nuts :)

Ridge Runner said:

Apparently you certainly can eat the seeds, they are meant to taste like chestnuts, roasted or boiled.
They can be dried and ground into flour too.

Something I would like to try.

Smoky bandit said:
Greenhornet_au said:
Smoky bandit said:
That tree would be only 20years old maybe 30 if it's had a hard life.

After the ID, I did some reading and I reckon you are about right, its just a puppy and about 10m tall, it just stood out amongst the Norfolks
so I am wondering why it is there.

More research on that one, I didnt see any 'nuts' and would love to get hold of one with seeds.

This tree is down south of Adelaide, so it is exposed to a lot of wind and can get quite cold, but they are meant to be down in Tas and doing ok there.
Maybe they are tougher after a certain age.
Also this one is near what I think is a 'recognised' Aboriginal burial site.

Any one go some nuts I can have ?

(yes , I left myself open right there :rolleyes: )

I may have some nuts you can have. :)
I'll look tomorrow arvo and see if there's any.
They only produce the nuts every so often.Sometimes it can be years before it drops it's nuts :)

Had a dog like that once... :eek:

:lol: :lol:

Thanks let me know.

We have a Bunya tree in our backyard and it has only dropped cones the last 2 years. With a bit of research that tells me it must be around 20 to 30 years old.
January and February are the times not to be hanging around under the tree and when these things fall they hit the ground with an almighty thud!!
They are an amazing tree but I really wouldnt want one of these to drop on me from a great height :argh: :fistpump: :skull:

1576661055_1bda6f8c-b300-485e-9030-d494d7712406.jpg

1576661055_91ed69dc-f283-4e9b-a426-1c65270b6854.jpg

1576661055_7be4986b-7a6e-46c4-86d8-832df84706e7.jpg

Billy said:
We have a Bunya tree in our backyard and it has only dropped cones the last 2 years. With a bit of research that tells me it must be around 20 to 30 years old.
January and February are the times not to be hanging around under the tree and when these things fall they hit the ground with an almighty thud!!
They are an amazing tree but I really wouldnt want one of these to drop on me from a great height :argh: :fistpump: :skull:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1055_1bda6f8c-b300-485e-9030-d494d7712406.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1055_91ed69dc-f283-4e9b-a426-1c65270b6854.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1055_7be4986b-7a6e-46c4-86d8-832df84706e7.jpg

The older they get them Cones will get about 3 to 4" longer if left on the tree. they can reach 8 to 9" from end to end, :Y:

Billy said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...1055_1bda6f8c-b300-485e-9030-d494d7712406.jpg

They look like bloody big green pineapples !

Bugger getting hit in the head with that thing.

:8

1576670576_img_0528.jpg

This is the Bunya pine at Yacka in the mid north of SA. We had the hotel there From 84 to 94 it was I think planted for the states 150 in 86. the tree was one of three germinated by the late Joe Spackman, a prolific tree grower and planter. the other 2 were given to Gulnare and Georgetown but I'm pretty sure the Yacka tree is the only survivor the other 2 succumbing to frost while still very young. It is located in the park, on the right leaving town heading north. I took the photo in late Aug this year1st time I've been back there for a very long time

Greenhornet_au said:
mudgee hunter said:
It originated from a seed! :lol:

:lol:

Lame joke...

I didnt know if it was from oversea's somewhere, which may have added to some other research, the fact it comes from NSW and QLD
is interesting.

Even we come from a 'seed'.

Not me.....

stork.jpg

Greenhornet_au said:
Billy said:

They look like bloody big green pineapples !

Bugger getting hit in the head with that thing.

:8

Yeah they can weigh up to 4 or 5 Kgs, maybe more ?

Latest posts