Can someone put this in perspective for me?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hear that lots of members don't find any gold for months if not years. i have a friend who spent $10,000 on a minelab a couple of years ago and has 2 small nuggets to show for it.
i am retired with a small van i have access to a couple of properties in the pretty gully, and the ewingar forest area (NSW) I will probably purchase a minelab 1000 gold detector and suitable alluvial mining equipment. i am reading as much as i can and i am in no hurry or wanting to get rich. I have money and I have found gold before in Qld
I have just read jack lange's book (gold hunting adventures and tips) but understand that his book relates to a lifetimes work.
I would like to take fossiking seriously however i want to have a realistic attitude to what i am taking on.
comments please from first hand experience

Two years panning. Three grams of alluvial.

Just starting to get good at it and the gold is getting better every trip.

Technique. Research. Persistance. Patience. Time.

It's not about the money, but it is about the gold, otherwise I could just enjoy the bush for the bush.

Baz.

I've got an SDC and a 5000, and pans and a blue bowl and a sluice and the latest coils for the 5000.
I've got a few pieces and an 8grammer to show for my spending spree.

It's all down to the hours you put in, I've never really had time to do it full time because of work etc etc.

It's a good hobby, but that's all it is to me as I don't have leases, I just go on pending leases here in WA, and they're all pretty well flogged.

Cheers.

Over 40 years ago I rediscovered fishing and the best lesson I ever learnt was that if I caught anything it had to thought of as a bonus. I applied the same principle to my fossicking efforts. I see some what some of the members have found and compared to my pathetic results I should be discouraged and very disappointed. However, if I cannot go out (drive 4 hours sit in a cold creek or river panning) and come home with nothing and still have enjoyed myself, I would have a listing in "Buy and Sell" or probably "Give Away to a good Home". As Sandbagger said "otherwise I could just enjoy the bush for the bush." So very true

Yes, the fishing analogy, my next door neighbor who thought I was mad getting Minelab equipment.
$55k boat, rego, insurance, fuel, bait, goes out maybe 8 times over summer and is ecstatic when he bags a snapper or 2.

Another M8 a $40k annual subscription to a golf club, and still has to pay green fees.

I know where I'd rather be.

I reckon the best way to learn is to initially join with others who have been at it for a while.
I've helped a few along the way, and have in tun, learned much from others.
They'll teach you how to use your machine, what to listen for, show you what likely ground looks like and give a few tips on researching your local areas.
Don't be shy in asking who's about and if you could join. They won't take you to their honey holes, but would likely be happy to try virgin ground with you.

Just about every hobby costs money. How much depends on what it is and how big your wallet is, lol. :) I have a 5000 & 2300 and pans. Been tripping to Vic for 5 years a couple of times a year. I have around 25 gr total. I find gold on every trip and usually a little more each time as I get more experienced.

I remember when I used to shoot IPSC practical pistol nearly 40 years ago paying $1,000 for a Colt 45 and that's before you tack on a belt, holster, license, club membership, fees, spare mags and holders, re loading equipment etc etc.

I then got into field archery, near $1,000 for the bow, then similar to the gun, all the rest of it, lol.

FYI the cheapest hobby is the Crossword in the Sunday paper, just a couple of $$, lol.....

Try the Pareto distribution model. I think it works as a good guide.

20% of the prospectors who are not full time would get 80% of the gold. More than likely they have spent a fair part of their gold chasing in the lower 80% and spent the time and money to get in the top bracket.

I think you could also use it as a rule of thumb detecting or digging in that 20% of your time will return you 80% of all your gold.

Gold is rare, finding it constantly is rarer, and payable even more so.

But like Tattslotto you got to be in the game for a payoff and if your lucky (the luckiest blokes Ive met always seem to have the most knowledge and dedication) you might come out with good win

I absolutely love my time out alone detecting. I only get a day at a time once every few weeks mostly, but I love every minute of it. The outdoors, fresh air, nature, the history of the areas I've been to, and the researching and learning about Geology. I have had people ask me how much gold I've found (zilch), how much I've spent on my hobby (heaps) etc. As mentioned you can spend your time justifying your hobby to people who happily blow thousands of dollars every year on boats, horses, fishing, cars etc. It's pointless trying to get other people to understand it. If you enjoy the hobby that's all that matters. :perfect:

condor22 said:
Just about every hobby costs money. How much depends on what it is and how big your wallet is, lol. :) I have a 5000 & 2300 and pans. Been tripping to Vic for 5 years a couple of times a year. I have around 25 gr total. I find gold on every trip and usually a little more each time as I get more experienced.

I remember when I used to shoot IPSC practical pistol nearly 40 years ago paying $1,000 for a Colt 45 and that's before you tack on a belt, holster, license, club membership, fees, spare mags and holders, re loading equipment etc etc.

I then got into field archery, near $1,000 for the bow, then similar to the gun, all the rest of it, lol.

FYI the cheapest hobby is the Crossword in the Sunday paper, just a couple of $$, lol.....

The papers good cos you get the answers with it.

Kato and I always get asked if we find valuable stuff like gold rings, we have found stuff and she has more than I.

But we always say that its a hobby and past time that is like fishing, you never know when something great will pop up,
and that may be just a button.

Generally most people think it is a short way to riches, strangely for some, it actually has been. :lol: :lol:

We enjoy the air, the space, the time together and alone in the same place, never knowing what is under the dirt.

Good stuff.

:inlove:

:clap:

Few of us will become rich trying to find gold , you would probaly earn more if you walked the streets picking up recycle cans and plastic bottles at 10cents a peice ..
We have spent heaps on two trips to WA over the last 2 years and came home with bugger all gold but both trips we had an amazing time and met some awesome people.

The way we look at it , we love the adventure and the experience of visiting new places and meeting new people.
If we find some gold along the way , than its a bonus.

Ditto to all the above comments....most of us just love being out there communing with Mother Nature...either alone or with company...and the PA members I've met so far are absolutely wonderful company and that is worth far more than the gold in the ground.

I go to bed and wake up thinking about when I can get another trip out...just a pity that I have to go to work in between...but work pays for my "Fun Coupons" so not complaining too loudly :)

Latest posts