can someone help regarding to mackay, cairns, rocky gold prospecting?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I currently live in Vic, but my partner said we can move to Qld if there is fishing and gold within an hr of each other. I was wondering if anyone knows much about mackay, rocky, cairns and areas close to them that have gold and fishing? Is gold up there hard to find? I have heard that you can only get gold on personal property due to everywhere else having next to nothing gold wise, is this true? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
also if anyone would be willing to show him around the type of areas where gold is? when we move up?
Thanks,
Christie-lee

Thanks mate I appreciate it! will read up on that now. As for Bream we are sick of them little fish lol they are everywhere

Hi Christie-Lee
Yes come to QLD we have it all the weather crazy good for winter, fishing well Im sitting here watching boats go out and back all day main meal to chase Spanish Mackerel's great fight, although most love their big reds. As for gold hubby and I duck out the road about 10ks for a real quick swing where the biggest nugget in QLD was found, on our better days we drive 1 hour to a small place Canoona for a swing bit hard out there lots of black boys and thick grass, long week-ends Clermont 3 hours away 1st of June from now on every year 3 weeks up western gully 2 days drive so much to do so little time to do it.
Kim-Margaret on the Barrier Reef

Thank you very much Gcause, that's very helpful information! Will pass on to my partner and he can give it a read :)
I have heard good things about Clermont, apparently my grandfather used to gold pan there when he was younger. Thank you very much everyone for your help :)

As per the fossicking regulations we use Pans, Metal detectors and hand tools to fossick. In some states you are currently allowed use River sluices and High bankers in the field. In others you have to use these at home to process your fossicked materials by recirculating water with a bilge pump or petrol powered pump.

imdaman555 said:
Hey guys,
I currently live in Vic, but my partner said we can move to Qld if there is fishing and gold within an hr of each other. I was wondering if anyone knows much about mackay, rocky, cairns and areas close to them that have gold and fishing? Is gold up there hard to find? I have heard that you can only get gold on personal property due to everywhere else having next to nothing gold wise, is this true? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
also if anyone would be willing to show him around the type of areas where gold is? when we move up?
Thanks,
Christie-lee
Please go to the Qld Dept. of Mines website and read the fossicking regulations.

Gold is everywhere in Australia, it just occurs in pockets. Some have been identified already as goldfields but there are many more yet to be discovered.

You are not restricted to private land the Qld Govt. has opened up designated fossicking areas and General Permission Areas (GPA's). You can fossick on certain crown land but not road reserves there you can gather materials at the surface but not dig. Its all in the fossicking regulations.

To access Private land you will need the owners permission in writing. The fossicking license has provision for recording this permission. All the details are on the Qld Dept. of Mines website just google it.

Latest posts