Can someone help identify this please?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this in the sand pit at my local park on the weekend, whilst hunting for lose change, I was swinging my
1447652046_2015-11-16_15.31.44.jpg
xterra 705 and it gave off a 30-32 on the TID, before diging it up i thought it was a $1 or $2 coin. At first i thought it was a hot rock because it was dark almost black all over it, the colour on the end was how the whole thing looked. Out of curiosity thinking it was a hot rock i decided to try and break it up with a hammer which was when i started to notice the dull yellowy/goldish look to it, it wouldnt break or crack it just has a slight dent in it now, so I decided to try and clean it up to reveal it is that colour all over. It is quite heavy for its size in the hands, 6.4g. Im stumped as to what it could be.
Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated :)
Thanks.

1447652080_2015-11-16_15.30.56.jpg
1447652113_2015-11-16_15.29.49.jpg

Brass or bronze by the look of the oxidisation and we as weathering. Putting it in an acid like lemon or vinegar should clean off the dark oxidisation and probably leave a pink tinge.
Jon

Thanks Jon,

It already has a pink tinge on one side in one of the corners so that would explain that. Any idea how it would end up in the sand pit at a play ground?

Scott

It's man made so it's transported either to the sand pit or through the source of the sand.
Jon

Latest posts