Camping out on Your Own

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just text in on my day to days when i can, and keep the phone handy, it will still make an emergency call. Anything that helps like gaiters, first aid, and camping in the clear is a good idea. The best times out are those ones on your own alone with the wilderness. Magic. Good swags are damn cheap these days.

I think the lighter you travel, the more you'll enjoy it. Personally I don't know about roof top tents and having a few night caps, I think I 'd end up head first in the dirt. The worst with a swag is just trying to unzip it, especially with a drink in one hand.

G'day

I do half my prospecting by myself. Usually the scouting/researching bits. In my younger years all i needed was a hoochie, a hip-hole and a billy. Nowdays I'm a bit softer and take a few luxuries

Cheers

Chimpy

Worse experience i had camping out alone was years ago in the castlemaine area when late one night while tucked up in the trusty old campervan casually reading a book about headhunters and cannibals i discovered the horrific growling and groaning of an old koala doing his mating serenade a truly terrifying experience to the uninitiated I quickly killed the lights and slammed the door shut and took cover I didnt know what to expect in the still forest night it sounded like a demon troll especially when getting the torch out to see how i was gonna die and all i could see was a pair of beady little eyes but about 8 ft tall i thought shit its bloody big but got a little head i got enough courage up to go and have a look and found this horny little rat bastard koala hanging off the side of a tree satanically yodeling i wanted to club him with a branch....but i didnt, it was surreal how much horrible noise could come out of one little marsupial mustve aged me about ten years and left me with a real dislike for koala to this very day!

ahhahahah I know it well.... i used to have a caravan in my backyard under a walnut tree the koalas used to make a horrific sound blood curdling at first but funny when you know what it is :)

Am packing the car today for a midday departure tomorrow for a 4 day trip with the camper trailer.
Lookng at the weather forecast for Dunolly we should be on our own up there.
Early morning detecting then yabbie nets in and go get some reddies in the heat of the day.

1391553816_dun_weather.jpg

Ok so I have less then 10 posts and couldn't post the link but go to Aust 4WD Action or google and search for:

The most scary swag moment

if that's not enough let me know, there is another thread on a hunting forum that will raise the hairs on the back of your neck.

Darren

Couldn't help but laugh at this comment. Beady eyes eight foot tall with a tiny head. Bloody hell you made my day I laughed so hard that's a classic Gudachi. :D

Redfin - get detecting in early mate - the ground is super hot and those bloody flies. Yabbies are going well in the dams but yet I again lost a net up the back of Wanyarra - I am going to storm that friggin camping ground one day.

The Newbridge Hotel is under new management (Ray has gone to the Kangaroo Flat pub full-time). The new owner is Terry (nice bloke) and the parmy and pot night on Wednesday is still a goer.

Thanks for that loamer, got to be in it to win it.
Early morning is the go and magnifient,
As for the nets, I sit with them now.

Redfin, I'm about to come down to Vic for a few weeks detecting. Will only be my 2nd time after just getting started digging (only found bullets, shells, nails, wire so far). No experience of locations in Vic.

Without getting title holders permission for prospecting, the Energy & Earth Resources Miners Right web site mentions 7 State Parks, 5 National Parks else contact either of 16 Victoria Parks offices for obtaining " information about where I can prospect".

You mentioned Dunolly, and I've noted on various threads other venues like Moliagul where prospectors go. Does this mean that before a trip people have to get some form of verbal or written consent from Victoria Parks to prospect in these venues (that are not among the 7 Nat Parks or 7 State Parks)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
jon

gudachi said:
Worse experience i had camping out alone was years ago in the castlemaine area when late one night while tucked up in the trusty old campervan casually reading a book about headhunters and cannibals i discovered the horrific growling and groaning of an old koala doing his mating serenade a truly terrifying experience to the uninitiated I quickly killed the lights and slammed the door shut and took cover I didnt know what to expect in the still forest night it sounded like a demon troll especially when getting the torch out to see how i was gonna die and all i could see was a pair of beady little eyes but about 8 ft tall i thought shit its bloody big but got a little head i got enough courage up to go and have a look and found this horny little rat bastard koala hanging off the side of a tree satanically yodeling i wanted to club him with a branch....but i didnt, it was surreal how much horrible noise could come out of one little marsupial mustve aged me about ten years and left me with a real dislike for koala to this very day!

Sorry mate but that's not their mating call

They just do it to scare campers , if you looked around in the bush nearby you will find a few of his mates watching it all and keeping score , they sit there stoned off their scones on cheap eucalyptus laughing their asses off and scratching their score out of 10 on the bark of the nearby gums.
Huntsmen spiders do a similar thing with car drivers but its bedtime so I best leave that tale for a bright sunny day.

Yes the Huntsman on the windscreen.......hit wiper switch and washer at same time.......2 passes and the sucker is still oh shit on the inside...........foot firmly applied to brake pedal at 110 klicks as vehicle slows down to 50 klicks drifting sideways you bale.

Hell guys I am as tough as the next bloke until it involves spiders.

Headsup......bring on the tales.......another great post coming
cheers.

The huntsman has evolved its form of comedy to skilfully climb up and hide behind the sun visor then dropping down on a spinerette to dangle in front of your face. Its happened to me a couple of times but I am too tough and reserved for those little buggers.
I dont even smile so as to avoid encouraging them. I just briefly tap the brake enough to make them swing and hit the windscreen. See how they like a bruise on their head the naughty little buggers.

Got to wonder if they have mates in the smash repair industry though :/

Years ago I ignored one that did the sunvisor trick but he went away to think about it and half an hour later he crawled up my leg to try plan B
I flicked him out the window after that

I was in a motel in Halls Gap years ago as an adult, my parents in the next room. About 1 am there's a god awful noise outside, piercing screaming sound. Got out of bed and opened the door just as the Ole man did the same.

There on the roof of his car where 2 Koalas having it off, so, Koitus interuptus, they weren't happy. You shudda seen the mess on his car the next day.

Thankfully it wasn't my car, the Ole man's car was a standard Falcon, mine had a vinyl roof.

Will be away from civilization for 6 months soon. That's me,myself and after a few months, an imaginary Irene.lol I think for people who have grown up camping out bush as I did as a kid you tend to learn the sounds of the bush and it doesn't faze you. Statistically you're far less likely to become a victim of crime in the bush than any city so most concerns people have are unfounded. The snakes as stated are really no cause for concern and the only other creepy crawly that may pose a serious threat to life is the sydney funnel web spider but their distribution is very limited.
I just spent 10 days in the triangle camping in the bush around Wedderburn, Dunolly, Ballarat, Kingower and St.Arnaud. Only met one other prospector on the entire trip. My one concern parking near bushland in summer is fire danger. Always parked near diggings with a 3 meter deep shaft or there about as an effective bunker in the event you have to bail on your camp if a fire comes through. used an empty bottle to mark the best dig to climb down. I have a solar panel on the roof of my van which keeps my car battery charged while I'm out all day detecting. I also carry a PLB for obvious reasons.

Two of us have camped in remote areas many times, no other vehicles around, in outback Queensland, Northern Territory and Western Australia. Always free camp as well. No problems, only wildlife, such as camels and cattle around and the usual birds and night sounds. Gudachi, your story made my day, just laughed and laughed. We've had mating koalas here on our place in the last few months and their noise and also that of the possums has unnerved visitors at times. Our 3 kids wondered what the hell the noises were when we first moved up from the ACT area. Quite scary for young ones!! and now the grandkids know what the noise is.

Latest posts