Camp Set Up Tips & Tricks Plus Products That Work And Those That Don't

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dihusky said:
shakergt said:
Looks good. How have you set up the axle configuration? Looks like it is 4X6 hard to tell

Permanent 4x4, then engage 3rd axle for soft stuff and serious off road. I run a set of free-wheeling hubs on the rear so it isn't running the drive gear the whole time.

Looked seriously at one of these with a camper on the back ....................... was wondering what sort of highway speed is it comfortable at and also is road noise as excessive as some suggest ? One bloke reckons you need an aviation head set at highway speed :rolleyes:

Dihusky said:
Spentthe morning at Underwood with Joel from Camp King doing a trial fit of the chest carcasses. His crew have done an amazing job, the fit was perfect to the millimeter, just had to ease the mounting bolts of the drivers side jerry can holder to slide the chest in, but nothing in it. All dimensions were amazingly accurate!

Now the internal fitout is confirmed they can be finished, then home for the spray job! :) :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10304/1525244500_passenger-side.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ages/10304/1525244470_drivers-side-chests.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10304/1525244532_drivers-side-rear.jpg

oh this gonna be nice when its done,deserves its own thread so we dont miss any updates.....

Well ran our trailer pump plumbed as a shower cuppla nights last week,works a treat,i was first,put the bucket next to trailer,hooked shower and inlet up and had a nice warm shower,alot more pressure then the old 12 volt camp showers in the ciggy lighter jobs
While using it i just gotta turn the other valves off from the tanks,turned the tank valves back on,filled the bucket for the wife,on the fire,set it all up and she jumped in,i sat at fire,job done coldy in hand,after about a minute she yelled f#%k it is freezing,i said yeah been a while water in pipes went a bit cold probably,the yelling continued so i went over to bucket for a look,said geez ya not using much then checked the tank valves,oh woops,no wonder its cold :lol:

GC and best part cost factor near zero makes it even more enjoyable :Y:
Found this vid when researching buying one, now this bloke has got some trick ideas ................... and built himself and doesn't mind sharing them :Y: You can see he has really thought out the build, making it super functional with the plus of not handing over wads of cash in the process and that's the key ;) Even down to being able to add a roof topper when extra room needed, you can see he has really thought it out. Top marks. :Y:

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/LFupmBWcFoQ[/video]

Bogger said:
Dihusky said:
shakergt said:
Looks good. How have you set up the axle configuration? Looks like it is 4X6 hard to tell

Permanent 4x4, then engage 3rd axle for soft stuff and serious off road. I run a set of free-wheeling hubs on the rear so it isn't running the drive gear the whole time.

Looked seriously at one of these with a camper on the back ....................... was wondering what sort of highway speed is it comfortable at and also is road noise as excessive as some suggest ? One bloke reckons you need an aviation head set at highway speed :rolleyes:

The military place a sign above the drivers door that states 80klm/hr otherwise permanent ear damage, and I would agree. When I picked her up from the Vic snow country and did the 1400km drive home, I had ear plugs.

Road noise is not the issue, most is the lack of sound insulation and transmission noise.

We have done a heap of sound proofing and she is comfortable at 95kmph, next bit of work is diff ratio changes from the standard 4.7 to 4.1, this will give a comfortable 115kph for the same revs as 95kph, so cruising at 100 will be very comfortable, even be able to listen to the radio.
1525345951_partial_cabin_strip.jpg

Partial cabin strip, eventually almost everything came out.

1525346009_love_dynamat.jpg

Starting the Dynamat and RoadKill lining, eventually every surface was covered.

1525346065_roof_insulation.jpg

Primary lining complete and the second layer is in, acoustic foam from Carbuilders

1525346113_roof-console-installed.jpg

Completed with marine carpet and vinyl, wiring for radio, and roof console completed with UHF, courtesy lights (ex navara) plus Red Dot aircon on the back wall. This will give an impression of the level we have gone to for the rebuild and what's involved in making a serious inroad into sound proofing. Now running around 80dB at 90kmph. originally she would have been around 110dB I imagine though I never tested her before we started.

We have done most of the work ourselves, all has worked well and we're very happy with the results. They are certainly an interesting vehicle to play with, BUT don't take one on unless you can do a fair bit of the work yourself or have very deep pockets, we've put in 100s of hours!

Di H thanks for that as they were the only two things that put me of it. I do some 1700 K runs stopping only for fuel, and wasn't sure how it would handle it or I the noise. 1700K at 110 plus a little cheating takes long enough and at 90K would be a lot more painful. Diff ratio change as you have done takes care of that :Y: I was thinking of seeing what higher profile tyres were available, as if one could get enough drop in revs out of them, would also give more ground clearance. But I didn't get that far into the R&D at the time.
Neat work on the soundproofing and trim finish, very neat in fact :Y: I started this string and if mods have no objection I certainly don't to it being in here ;) All good info and have certainly taken note of the soundproofing material you have used, as still keen on one if the right project comes along.
Agree if you don't have hand skills you would certainly need skills at least in writing cheques. :rolleyes: Look forward to seeing the ongoing project as it nears completion :Y:

Thanks Bogger, following a suggestion from Goldchaser1, I might start a thread in the vehicle section and give a bit of history plus all the mods we have done. Some people might be interested, some might already own one, and there might be some value for new members as to stuff needed for real bush exploration when out for weeks, months or what ever, even for those thinking of buying one.

All good and will watch with keen interest as envious I can assure you :Y: Also agree a 100% in that a set up for weekend jaunts that may suffice, weeks plus in remote locations requires an entirely different set up. Vehicle reliability, food , water and communications in case of an emergency being the things I've found that require priority. Already started putting together the shopping list for next north bound trip ;)

Back on the subject of shower tents again,which most i hate cause of the cheap nylon crap thats mainly available,was talking to a mate about the subject that theres no real good ones available,he sent me this link,this is the best setup ive ever seen,could even fab ya own maybe.
Just remember to focus on the shower tent please.....[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/V-xNz7zz_Uo[/video]

Goldchaser1 said:
Back on the subject of shower tents again,which most i hate cause of the cheap nylon crap thats mainly available,was talking to a mate about the subject that theres no real good ones available,he sent me this link,this is the best setup ive ever seen,could even fab ya own maybe.
Just remember to focus on the shower tent please.....[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/V-xNz7zz_Uo[/video]

Great looking zippers !

GC can you post up a vid of their clear sided model :eek: ;) Neat set up :Y:
Reminds me of last trip, fifty k's at least from nearest person and wife was reluctant to strip off worried someone would see her, I looked around at nothing for as far as the eye could see in any direction and with hands raised and said .................... who ? :rolleyes:

Latest posts