Camp Set Up Tips & Tricks Plus Products That Work And Those That Don't

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, getting back to my concept:

1529964921_gutter.jpg

You start by fitting a small strip of galvanised steel to the main awning roller using countersunk rivets (1) this will only be required for an aluminium roller.

Now get a piece of waterproof fabric (red) and fit a few rare earth magnets to one long side (2), these grab onto the gal strip on the roller, you then roll up a short way so the awning fabric covers the magnets and helps hold the fabric in place.

Now work out your fabric width, probably easiest with a narrow strip, by fitting the gutter clips from free range camping before gutting the full sized piece, then with the excess fabric cut a series of tails and fit rare earth magnets to them making sure they are the right way round, the positions are not critical as you have the long gal strip, these tails then hold the gutter up in the right position to catch the rain. This will create a series of open areas between the magnetic tails where rain can fall into the gutter.

Once off, the gutter will fold up into a very small package, though the magnets might make things a bit interesting. :mad:

No velcro, no damage to the existing awning and a gutter that takes no space. :)

xcvator said:
Just push 1 arm out a couple of inches/cm more, that will create a slope

Best and easiest idea by a mile, at no cost.
This method is used by successfully by thousands.
Water only needs a 1 degree fall, so a cm will do the trick.

I have some led strip lights I use, they have small magnets at each end to hold to tent poles but I find they sometimes get knocked off if I don't use the Velcro tabs to wrap around the poles. Thought I could overcome this by using some PVC pipe and make some clips which will hold onto the pole without the need for Velcro or magnets. $2.99 for the PVC and some cable ties and an hour and half of my time and 13 light bars done (no I don't use the whole 13, I mix n match white lights and orange dependent on season)
1530076627_image.jpg

1530076656_image.jpg

1530076706_image.jpg

For those that have difficulty lighting a fire, particularly if your kindling is a little damp or it's windy or you just want a quick and easy way to start a fire try the following. Soak a pumice stone or two in a jar of kerosene, when you want to start your fire put it below your kindling and light, instant fire starter. When your fire is established, remove pumice stone, let it cool and return to kero jar.
Can be used over and over.

Manpa said:
For those that have difficulty lighting a fire, particularly if your kindling is a little damp or it's windy or you just want a quick and easy way to start a fire try the following. Soak a pumice stone or two in a jar of kerosene, when you want to start your fire put it below your kindling and light, instant fire starter. When your fire is established, remove pumice stone, let it cool and return to kero jar.

And I thought you was just a pretty face :p :p :p

xcvator said:
Manpa said:

You shoulda gone to Specsavers!!!!!!!!

Top idea manpa,if ya have the generic rollout awnings i found enough room to sika alluminium backed leds(there only about 12mm i think) just under where the awning sits rolled up,hard wired with a switch of course,worked a treat on our trailer,the offside one we dont use alot so it only got a 500mm one but the side we always put up got a 1 mtr length,lights up the whole area,if i remember ill take a pic tomorrow....

That is some thing I would like to see too GC1 Manpa
I have to work out a solution for the LED lighting I have from 4wheel super centre ..i have one of the light bar kits that comes with velcro magnets etc for mounting the bars and leads , just wondering if i can leave then permanently attached in side the camper and save set up time..or attach and remove each time we set up ?
A couple of pictures are worth a couple of thousand words ;)

Manpa said:
xcvator said:
Manpa said:

You shoulda gone to Specsavers!!!!!!!!

That is a bloody RIPPER of an idea Manpa.

Yeah just sikaflexed at an slight downwards angle guys on the lip below where the awning poles fold back into,sand to key both areas up a bit,few god dabs of sika then duct tape to hold em in place,gotta drill a hole for wires of course,there been on for 2 yrs,thought the awning might bounce a bit and bugger them up but not an issue.....
1531641731_7f687275-18c9-49b1-853c-96243ab34fb5.jpg
1531641759_44ad4293-63c3-4ebe-933f-677f14c10c5e.jpg

Some bloody great ideas here folks.....
Thanks for sharing.....

Something to have a play with next week while at home....

One of the great inventions of mankind that rates up there with pop rivets, bottled beer and Landcruisers is the Camp Oven Mate. I bought one of these gizmos a few years ago for a desert trip where from experience, firewood is rather scarce and what was available was probably the home of some sort of critter and shouldn't be disturbed.

I was a bit sceptical at first whether or not a gas fired camp oven meal would turn out as good as one cooked with coals and I was pleasantly surprised. It took a few attempts to get it right, but practice makes perfect. A great bit of gear, especially for bread baking where maintaining a constant temperature is crucial.

1532990521_camp-oven-mate-2.jpg

1532990420_southern-metal-spinners-heat-shield-2.jpg

1532990451_instructions-camp-oven-mate.jpg

Jeff

snafu said:
One of the great inventions of mankind that rates up there with pop rivets, bottled beer and Landcruisers is the Camp Oven Mate. I bought one of these gizmos a few years ago for a desert trip where from experience, firewood is rather scarce and what was available was probably the home of some sort of critter and shouldn't be disturbed.

I was a bit sceptical at first whether or not a gas fired camp oven meal would turn out as good as one cooked with coals and I was pleasantly surprised. It took a few attempts to get it right, but practice makes perfect. A great bit of gear, especially for bread baking where maintaining a constant temperature is crucial.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1252/1532990521_camp-oven-mate-2.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...420_southern-metal-spinners-heat-shield-2.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...52/1532990451_instructions-camp-oven-mate.jpg

Jeff

do you know how I can get my hands on these

shakergt said:
snafu said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1252/1532990521_camp-oven-mate-2.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...420_southern-metal-spinners-heat-shield-2.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...52/1532990451_instructions-camp-oven-mate.jpg

Jeff

do you know how I can get my hands on these

Just found them on eBay $90 - $130 just search 'camp oven mate'

Latest posts