Camp Cable WW2 U.S. Base

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, for all of you people discovering CC

There will be up to ten of us in there tomorrow Thu 21st for anyone who's retired or free like myself.

There's a bit of a competition planned by the members of another forum community at that location on the 30th so there'll be 10 to 20 people there that day (weather permitting) for anyone wishing to meet the locals and get a bit of knowledge from people who've been working the site for years.

I don't mean to be vague but I'm a forum moderator myself on other forums (not metal detecting) and I wouldn't be that rude to the operators here in any way. That's why I may be a bit vague at times.

Just for the record, I'm a member of pretty well all the detecting forums in Australia. Although being human and there for I have some places I feel more comfortable than others because I'm better known to the locals I don't play the "my forum is better than this forum come and join us" game. We're all in the same hobby right?

Thanks for this fine forum and all the good work Nugget and other mods.

I'll be around if I can contribute anything.

Regards
Dec

well i'd be keen as for the 30th, but i'm ment to be helping my mum move house. i'll try & work something out. thanks for the heads up Decado.

All good mate, I've alerted the guys involved that we may get a couple of ring ins and the reply is "all welcome". It's mainly about locals meeting up and a friendly Minelabs vs Garrett shootout rather than anything else.

If you can't make it then by all means PM me at some time and we'll make a day to get together and I'll pass on what I've been shown and learned myself about the site. By and large most of the guys out there are very open and happy to pass along what they know and I'm of the same mind set.

Regards
Dec

I don't know of anyone going Sunday although I am sure they will be, I do know at least 2 people are going tomorrow, I'll be there briefly to meet up with someone. PM me if you have aa UHF handheld and I'll give you a channel to call on so you can hook up.

I may not reply until late tonight, heading to another mates place for an afternoon of warm and Dr Who ..yes, yet another "Brit in Oz" ;)

Regards
Dec

i'll be there today & maybey tomorrow britinozz. i have sent you a pm & a email with my phone number. cheers good luck if you don't catch up with me.

Just as a gentle nudge to the newer guys on site at CC and as an example that ammunition and relics are the least of what you may come across.

I was asked to check out an item that was recovered this morning at a popular detecting area in CC by a fellow I know. I have a background in arms and militaria so I get a few of these "is it safe" questions.

1385224420_boom.jpg

The yellow colour indicates an earlier era MKII grenade with a high explosive charge rather than the more common powder charge which would be most likely inert. On inspection the spoon, pin and striker were still in the bottom of the hole and the fuse ignitor was still intact and sealed. I was suprised and not pleasantly. This was a discarded device and had never been deployed. The majority of those I have seen out there are used with an expended fuse .. i.e. a dud. With this one however there is a small but real chance that it is still viable.

Please dig carefully and not with a pick. If unsure, leave it be. Guys like myself don't mind disposing of ordnance but draw the line at body parts. You don't get to develop those grey hairs by being rash ;)

Regards
Dec

Decado said:
All good mate, I've alerted the guys involved that we may get a couple of ring ins and the reply is "all welcome". It's mainly about locals meeting up and a friendly Minelabs vs Garrett shootout rather than anything else.

If you can't make it then by all means PM me at some time and we'll make a day to get together and I'll pass on what I've been shown and learned myself about the site. By and large most of the guys out there are very open and happy to pass along what they know and I'm of the same mind set.

Regards
Dec
all good for next weekend. mum can't move in till the following weekend now.
did you get my pic's?
i was out there again yesterday sat 23rd, got a 1919 3 pence & a 1919 6 pence & few more bullets & just a bit of junk. spent hours in the hot sun searching a new place & got zip. but took a bloke i meet at the markets & he was the best find of the day. top bloke heaps of knowledge & detecting is his life & he's new to brissy, so now where detecting buddies. heading down this arvo aswell . on that note i best be off to bed 4.30 am cya's.

awesome i didn't see that pick. we actully burnt some powder that was from rusted & broken 3006 round. & it still lit up & burnt way better than i thought it would. just goes to show even after all this time water & dirt & rust it COULD still go bang.

lend lease are developing the site of CC. tried to get permission to detect, but after 4 months & lots of e-mails, ran into a brick wall. so have detected anyway. found lots of stuff, even in areas that have been thrashed. buttons, a dog tag, cups canteen, buckles, 30.06 & a .50 cal cartridges & only a few pennies. some places look like lunar landscapes with all the holes not filled in. will have to go further inland to find new spots

what to do when it's overcast & wants to rain.......... go detecting! went to CC
1386842894_img_20131212_183136.jpg
& this all I found for 4 hours detecting.30.06 & .50 cases, buckles & a fired fuse out of a grenade

Camp Cable is on private property and people will be prosecuted if they trespass on it.

It is clearly signed as such and the developer owners don't want to let people in there for insurance and workplace health and safety reasons.

The whole of the camp area is scheduled for redevelopment including the pine forest.

The police do regular patrols of that area as there have been deaths and injuries in the pine forest area.

It's gotten that bad with people trespassing that they have to publish warnings in the local papers there.

If the mines department finds anyone out there they will take their fossicking license, their vehicle and all their fossicking equipment, fine them and they will face a possible criminal conviction. Read the Fossicking Act and regulations for exact details.

It's just not worth it and frankly it gives the fossicking community a bad name by people knowingly doing the wrong thing and spoiling it for everyone by trespassing on private property.

Our industry associations NAPFA and PMAV do a great job at lobbying for access to land and the last thing they need is for a few selfish people to be undoing all their hard work by doing the wrong thing.

Just treat it as a no go zone. There are plenty of other spots to go legally.

Thanks gcause,
I will take your advise and stay clear of it. I just wondering how many other people are unaware
of all this? I often used to hear of people that have been or are going to CC prior to me getting into
detecting. Once again thank you, the last thing I want is to spoil it for everybody else.
Cheers, DD

No worries the Police did a big blitz on the area last Easter and caught a lot of people.
Last thing you want when you are out metal detecting is a tap on the shoulder by the boys in blue saying "Hello, Hello, Hello. What do we have here then!". :eek:
Last thing you want at the end of your pick is a pineapple or rocket shaped large piece of metal 8)

G'day folks, I went to Camp Cable last Saturday and Sunday. On saturday I Found 6 US brass buttons that had 13 stars on them, and a US button with spread eagle. Also what looks like a chinese coin and a few other bits and pieces. I was excited and even though I could see lots of places where other people had been digging I still found some good stuff. I Went back to the same spot on Sunday and was just starting to get a few targets and a security guy pulled up in his 4WD and informed me I was not allowed in the area as it is private property and they don't want anyone on the land. He said I could be fined for being there. I didn't argue as there are signs every where stating no vehicles of any sort, no motor bikes, no people no dumping rubbish. This area of private property covers the whole area where the camp was situated. So I guess unless you want to chance it, the area is now closed to all. This is such a shame because even though there has been alot found there already, I think there is still alto to be found. I am ex Navy so I am not interested in selling what I find. But I am proud to have a little bit of our history to keep. My Dad was in the AIF in WW2. I went into the area from the Pine Forrest Road which is off Tamborine Warterford Road.Parked outside the area and walked in about 50 to 100 meters. To be honest the security guy was a nice bloke and he told me that he can't see why they don't let we metal detecters in on the site as we are cleaning the place up.

A number of guys are still hunting in there, very hard to see them when they stay off the tracks in the bush, but private land is private land even if it is a big developer,
I've hunted there many times over two or three years and had many good finds, it's a huge shame that we are now chased out because there is still much to be found in that area. 8.(

Latest posts