Buying Sapphires online?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was thinking of buying some cheap rough sapphires online so I can practice sieving with them and so I can see one in the flesh and get to know what to look for. I have seen a lot on ebay from overseas that look a lot cheaper than the aussie ones and was wondering if they will still have the same weight and look for me to use them as practice gems and as a visual example of what Im looking for? Does anyone else ever buy any on line?

Spud said:
Hello everyone,

I was thinking of buying some cheap rough sapphires online so I can practice sieving with them and so I can see one in the flesh and get to know what to look for. I have seen a lot on ebay from overseas that look a lot cheaper than the aussie ones and was wondering if they will still have the same weight and look for me to use them as practice gems and as a visual example of what Im looking for? Does anyone else ever buy any on line?

There are some pretty stones on ebay to start your collection. I just bought a blue heat treated sapphire just to see what one looks like at 20 carat.

For the purpose of gem id or "spotting gems" and practice sieving, a couple of trips to Grabben Gullen would be the way to go. The abundant black spinel will have the same sieving properties as the sapphires you are after. So any shovel of river gravel will see the black spinel forming a circle if you sieve correctly. I'm assuming you've already watched Liz do it on youtube?

Other than the very dark green and very dark blue, you should have no problem spotting the coloured gems. The better they are the more they seem to stand out.

Being wet helps them shine as well. If you are sieving correctly (not hard to practice) and should only take a few sieves to start "getting it", the gems will be in the black circle. Having tweezers is very important as these are your friend, swish/rake them thru the gravel mix to occasionally uncover one which didn't immediately come out on top. In the field, one tends to quickly look for good ones, then move on. At home, you will be a lot more careful. I have found small gems in "other peoples" gem tailings.

Two buckets of material to take home in the car is a sure way to perfect your technique back at home. You will have a lot of fun this way, that would be my advice if you want to practice, bring some river wash home to sieve at your own leisure.

Spud said:
ohhh i want them to haha

They are a good cross section of colours, shapes and little crystals, few Zircons in there also. A lot of stones from overseas deposits generally do not resemble Aussie stones in the rough.

A pack like that will have you identifying them in no time.

The best way to learn is to head for a known public fossicking area and ask someone there to show you how to shake the sieves.
Last time I was in GG I teached to three guys who were happy like child (they had an high banker but no idea how to separate the good stones in their concentrate! :eek: ).

GallicProspector said:
The best way to learn is to head for a known public fossicking area and ask someone there to show you how to shake the sieves.
Last time I was in GG I teached to three guys who were happy like child (they had an high banker but no idea how to separate the good stones in their concentrate! :eek: ).

Now that's the sort of prospectors we like to see here! Sharing info and teaching others. I also like to keep a little nugget or sapphire in the pocket, you never know when some eager to learn kids are going to drop by to see what the mad guy with the pans is doing. Like a sun kissed half mad pirate I look up and say "this is what i'm after my harties..." ....there's gold and sapphires all around us! :lol:

thanks guys! i had a wonderful forum member offer to send me some!! how freaking amazing is that!!! :)

i have been taking bucket loads home with me and going through them but so far i have only found one teeny weeny spinel which makes me think i wasn't even in the right location, also as i said i really need to see one in the flesh to know what i' m looking for

Just gotta keep trying. will be heading out either Saturday arvo or Sunday at this stage so fingers crossed for some better results :lol:

Here is what a sapphire might look like surrounded by spinel

1404457202_blue1.jpg

Here is what a typical day at GG will uncover

1404457245_photo_32.jpg

1404457260_photo_22.jpg

The larger blue one is 7 carat, but a flat one.

1404457303_photo_13.jpg

So if you can spot the blue one in the first photo, its likely you will have no problem finding a sapphire.

Not sure if colour blindness issues for some people make it harder to see but for me it sticks out pretty good.

If you are not finding many of the black spinel then its possible you are digging in a baron spot. Hope this helps

Spud said:
thanks guys! i had a wonderful forum member offer to send me some!! how freaking amazing is that!!! :)

i have been taking bucket loads home with me and going through them but so far i have only found one teeny weeny spinel which makes me think i wasn't even in the right location, also as i said i really need to see one in the flesh to know what i' m looking for

Just gotta keep trying. will be heading out either Saturday arvo or Sunday at this stage so fingers crossed for some better results :lol:

I am heading out next friday fingers crossed. If you want to tag along I will have my 7 years old who sieves by himself and his friend.
I am happy to show you where to look and what t look for and go thru your sieves with you until you get the hang of it.

Let me know.
Send me a PM.
Dan

arghhh Twapster thats awesome!!!!
Hey Dan, would love to but unfortunately i have to work. ahhh wouldn't it be nice to not have to and to be able to blow it off to look for gems :)

Spud said:
arghhh Twapster thats awesome!!!!
Hey Dan, would love to but unfortunately i have to work. ahhh wouldn't it be nice to not have to and to be able to blow it off to look for gems :)

Spud, Yeah I took a RDO as its school holidays and my son wants to wash some more rocks.
Maybe catch you next time.

Dan

Latest posts