Buying from the US

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone experience with buying one from the States?
I have decided that I want to buy a Garrett Infinium (my first detector). I would prefer a second hand but somehow find it rather difficult to find any offers at all.
There is quite a bit of a price difference and therefore I am considering buying one from the States.
Are there any other issues than guarantee? Maybe someone with first hand experience? Thx for any help.

Cheers

Hi Salla. I've bought a few detectors from the US over the years and you can save yourself some money. But you do need to do your homework first about the seller and confirm they will send outside the states! I only pay via paypal for security reasons and this also re-assures the seller and confirms postal addresses. Don't forget to factor in the high postage rates and have them confirmed by the seller. Some times after the postage costs are added you can buy cheaper here! Also It's abit of a risk on the condition of the detector but make sure there's plenty of photos and a thorough description. If you're still happy to consider a purchase after this, I've found that the US postal service is great!. Always get a tracking number so you can follow your parcel through customs. I've had deliveries from the states turn up before items sent from Melbourne when they were both sent at the same time. Go figure! I hope this helps you out.

I just bought a Garrett ACE 250 off ebay from Florida. Currently in transit as we speak. So far so good, postage wasn't too bad and the detector price was cheaper than similar ones on ebay Australia, even with our currently weak Aussie dollar.

I agree with Scoopa, make sure you get a tracking number. Also make sure that the original factory warranty is included in the sale. Most on ebay offer 2 year warranty free or 3 year warranty for a little extra cost. Its worth it imo.

Thx for the detailed answers!
I will try to find a second hand/new infinium for a decent price here in Australia and if I cant I will probably go for this option.
Thx again.

Just my opinion, but When I sussed out US prices when I was buying my AT Pro, I found that after postage, it wasn't worth it, & if anything goes wrong, it's easier to deal with local dealers.

@gadget

In some circumstances you are right.
After considering all the facts I think I will choose the aussie option. If there are any issues it is just way easier to handle it here than sending/claiming overseas.
It is just not worth the few bucks you can save.

I just brought mine from Texas premium it was here in 10 days saved a heap of money and payed no postage I would do it again I could track it all the way.

I purchased a demo GPX5000 from a minelab dealer in the US 18 months or so ago saved about $1000, there was 1 condition and that was it had to be posted to someone in the US.
In my case it wasnt a problem and then they posted to me, it has been registered with minelab and there were no taxes/gst entering Aust.

bought my AT Pro and pointer from Texas Premium ( via Amazon) - No problems , saved heaps - compared to local. Would do it again no problems.

I would be very cautious buying a detector from the US?

Did that once and it got damaged during shipping!

garret has some good agents here in Australia and i don't think you would save very much!

Toothpick said:

garret has some good agents here in Australia and i don't think you would save very much!

Where were the goods damaged? during transit in AU or whilst in USA?

I get vintage guitars sent from all over the world all the time and never suffer damage. same with my detectors.

Garrett AU AT $975/ $1000US +shipping

USA shipped AT Pro from my reliable dealer $650 inc international postage and received within 7days.

Saving $350 US

Now of which part do i need to be cautious?

Toothpick said:

Banned already :D

thought i smelt a rat :p

Well ill be jumping on the US bandwagon here as ill be buying an AT Gold in about a weeks time. After no bites on trading silver for a detector I thought I would check out the deals in australia. Even with the exchange rate and free postage from a particular seller ill still be ahead cash wise. They are also throwing in a carry bag, satchel, headphones and garrett hand shovel. I'd love to buy local but nothing in SA to accommodate this

Sa_bogan said:
Well ill be jumping on the US bandwagon here as ill be buying an AT Gold in about a weeks time. After no bites on trading silver for a detector I thought I would check out the deals in australia. Even with the exchange rate and free postage from a particular seller ill still be ahead cash wise. They are also throwing in a carry bag, satchel, headphones and garrett hand shovel. I'd love to buy local but nothing in SA to accommodate this

Nothing wrong with grabbing a good legitimate deal from the US SA_B, you know if I had something to trade I'd be all over your Silver deal :). Unfortunately Toothpick was just a troll who descended here to harass another member without good reason.

Thanks mate, I would have thought someone would have had a detector they had upgraded and didn't use anymore. But I guess it's kinda a good thing as instead I got rid of some junk US silver and my gf is going to give me some cash to put towards the buy :) Just need to get some info on places in south australia to go a try my luck when I get it!

I thought it was an easy deal too ;)

Good choice on the AT Gold mate, you'll love it as long as the ground isn't ridiculously over mineralised,

And how dare you use Silver and junk in the same sentance :eek:, wash your mouth out and post a pic of you doing it lol