Buying direct from USA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the niceties of buying from the US have been covered. But I'm very surprised so many still haven't got the message that Garrett Oz will not handle imported product warranty. Garrett Oz is an entirely separate corporate entity to Garrett USA. It is a separate franchise in "corporate speak" and so is a different personality (however fake it may appear) in corporations and consumer law.

And, beware of importing any goods over 1K...duty/tariffs will apply.

If you buy a new detector from overseas and that same model is available here then i would tell you to send it back to the place of purchase. You are not doing our small businesses or our country any favors buying overseas. Sure if its second hand, not available here in Australia then fair enough. Our businesses here have to apply 10% GST, Pay our workers $22 an hour min casual wages and 9% super on top of that, its any wonder our country is in a mess.

Every metal detector i have owned i have bought from Aussie business and i am proud of that. Yeah, i could of been a tight ass and saved a few bucks, but i look at the big picture and i hope you will to. :(

I have to admit the price difference between the USA and Australia for the ATX is very hard to justify.

Hi there, can anyone tell me, if buying a Garrett detector from the USA are there any "software"or other modifications needed for Australian conditions, are they costly or are the detectors all set the same? 8)

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about a Garrett Infinium LS but also Garrett detectors on general.

According to the former Australian Garrett distributor, all infiniums should now be the same. The earlier ones from the US had trouble ground balancing here, and could not run mono coils. Either way, even if you did get an older infinium, upgrades can be done in Oz pretty cheaply, as I did with mine. Should be no issue with the Ace 150 - 350, or ATPro, plenty of people run the US models with no problems, in fact some prefer the US version over the International version.. When the ATPro was first released, there were issues with falsing coils, plus upgrades were also made to the shafts and camlocks, these issues should have now been addressed with the newer models.

The ATGold was a bit of a contentious issue, some claim they had no issues running the US model here, whilst others claim that it required a mod for sensitivity and greater ground balance range to operate with some stability on the hotter goldfield areas. It all depends on where you will be using it. There have been many heated forum pages written over this issue in the past.

Hi anyone buy a detector direct from the USA, is there customs duty to pay. Also know of a reputable dealer there. Thinking of a Goldbug 2. Cheers.

Have done quite a bit of importing and the first thing be it rule if you like is that if the item is available (Think this could actually be produced ) in Australia then import duties apply. From my understanding it is to offset Australian business / manufacturers from losing sales.You could always have the item sent as a present or sample. I'm sure others with more extensive import experience will chime in
Cheers

Anything over $1000au will attrct GST and import duty. Warranty will only be covered by the company you bought it from, things can get messy in that regard if the product stops working. If it's the first time you imported anything over $1000 you need to set up an account as an importer with customs which is pretty easy but still a PITA if you only want to import 1 item. You have to pay the GST and any other fees before customs will release the item for pick up.

Bogger said:
Have done quite a bit of importing and the first thing be it rule if you like is that if the item is available (Think this could actually be produced ) in Australia then import duties apply. From my understanding it is to offset Australian business / manufacturers from losing sales.You could always have the item sent as a present or sample. I'm sure others with more extensive import experience will chime in
Cheers
Thank you for your info.

Heatho said:
Anything over $1000au will attrct GST and import duty. Warranty will only be covered by the company you bought it from, things can get messy in that regard if the product stops working. If it's the first time you imported anything over $1000 you need to set up an account as an importer with customs which is pretty easy but still a PITA if you only want to import 1 item. You have to pay the GST and any other fees before customs will release the item for pick up.

Thanks for your help

Heatho said:

That's correct only you don't need to setup an account first , got stung with a customs bill for $500 on a $3000 gearbox 2 years agoHaving said that I also imported over $10.000 worth of gear from different suppliers that went straight through. Think its luck of the draw some days they check others they don't a friend of mine imports stuff all the time so his name and address is known to customs so everything is checked but what he has found is that when he imports under a friends name and address he never get's taxed.

It's worth the risk if only buying once or twice , if you get held up by customs your often still better off (depending on exchange rates). I've been thinking about getting a Z from there , I'm sure Minelab would come to the party as warranty should be world wideWorth investigating and perhaps waiting for a friend or relative to bring one back.

Here's a link to one of the many outlets ;
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/gpz-7000

What also needs to be considered are the exchange rates a few years ago I was getting $1 to $1 pretty good.
Now I wouldn't even consider it as the dollar last time I looked about 78c then you need to think about postage,PayPal fees and insurance in the end is it all really worth it.

Business owners please don't be offended , by no means do I condone taking any kind of business away from Australian business or advertising to do so in any way or form.

Gravity said:
Heatho said:

That's correct only you don't need to setup an account first , got stung with a customs bill for $500 on a $3000 gearbox 2 years agoHaving said that I also imported over $10.000 worth of gear from different suppliers that went straight through. Think its luck of the draw some days they check others they don't a friend of mine imports stuff all the time so his name and address is known to customs so everything is checked but what he has found is that when he imports under a friends name and address he never get's taxed.

It's worth the risk if only buying once or twice , if you get held up by customs your often still better off (depending on exchange rates). I've been thinking about getting a Z from there , I'm sure Minelab would come to the party as warranty should be world wideWorth investigating and perhaps waiting for a friend or relative to bring one back.

Here's a link to one of the many outlets ;
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/gpz-7000

What also needs to be considered are the exchange rates a few years ago I was getting $1 to $1 pretty good.
Now I wouldn't even consider it as the dollar last time I looked about 78c then you need to think about postage,PayPal fees and insurance in the end is it all really worth it.

Business owners please don't be offended , by no means do I condone taking any kind of business away from Australian business or advertising to do so in any way or form.

Thanks for the advice. Interesting

I'm just a poor digger, I bought my ACE from Garrett direct from the US when the exchange was almost in our favour, I paid $330 and expected to have to pay at the post office to pick it up, but there was no fee, so, it was postage paid and batteries included.
I dug the money out of the ground beforehand, if I had been well off I would have used an Aussie dealer (I went Aussie for my other detector). :)

Latest posts