Building a large capacity High-banker - Instructional video

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread this one... only problem is finding the time to get through the big list of projects to be done :)

Well done to everyone

Tested out my Walbanker today - works great ..... cannot go past the Camlock fittings - the seal is quick & maintains the seal perfectly (delivers consistent pressure). I have some lay-flat hose but just used pool hose (1.5") for a test. Tried to run last week but could not get consistent suction with hose clamps alone. Whole unit looks a lot sexier with the Aluminium grate (thanks +++ to Pauly250!!). The little 2.5Hp pump seems to work well enough and much lighter than the 5.5Hp options ...... Tried out carrying the equivalent weight of a larger pump (big water bucket) around the back yard but when I imagined walking up uneven riverbed (& river banks) I opted for the smaller unit (gives a bit over 200 L/min). Wal I believe you've had a good fifteen years longer to build up your muscles.......that's my excuse...?....
1374659531_p1170984.jpg
1374659574_p1170982.jpg

Got busy while waiting for the pump/hoses/camlocks & built a little brother to the Walbanker. Had to make one that would fit in the Mazda without needing to fold down all the rear seats (will have to make-do till I save $ towards a 4WD). Folding jobbie seemed like just the thing ..... bit of work still to be done but 90% there. Will also be handy to have a 2nd unit (needing a 2nd pump) for when I take a mate along - that way I get my Walbanker all to myself.

1374660442_p1170987.jpg

1374660487_p1170986.jpg

Thanks Wal for your how to build video, im waiting for a quote to build mine following the same design as yours. Still looking around for a pump and what a headache that is! The honda is high on the list for quality and being quite, iv got a few links to look though from this great site here,:). Can't wait to see that lovely gold.... Dezman.

Diy is the way to go , get it customised to ur own way of running it. I am in the process of building my own ATM, will take pics and post when I'm done/testing (b4 changing something ) :)

Hi, Fossicked for small gold specs many year ago with moderate success, enjoyed the experience. After a recent trip to Inverell, I have renewed my interest in fossicking again.

Hi Mr Sism, I have noticed you are also in Melbourne. Did you made these your self or have you used someone? Great job on both, by the way.

Ah sorry for the slack reply Beagleboy - yep did all the making myself ..... except for the folding of the long chanel cut the sheet to size (bought from Aluminium trade centre in Clayton) and marked off where the folds were to be done & took this to a sheet metal worker in Keys Rd Moorabbin (Lepol Metalwork). I live in Highett.

Cheers

Drewe.

Mr Sism said:
Ah sorry for the slack reply Beagleboy - yep did all the making myself ..... except for the folding of the long chanel cut the sheet to size (bought from Aluminium trade centre in Clayton) and marked off where the folds were to be done & took this to a sheet metal worker in Keys Rd Moorabbin (Lepol Metalwork). I live in Highett.

Cheers

Drewe.

That is good to know where to go for when I am ready to get one. I live in Nunawading and I have noticed most of these places are around Dandenong or where you are. So you did all the welding?

Great video! I'm currently looking to build one exactly the same, I'm new to this end of prospecting but have been detecting and crevicing for a good year with success, need to get these 10 posts up, am I able to get some dementions/material list if that's ok? Won't be offended if not mate, loving the videos! :)

Hi Wal, thanks for the great vid on the walbanker. You have inspired me to build one to use in the Weld River area of NE Tas. The rivers I will be running it in have no gold to speak of, so what riffle arangement do you recommend for just gems? Should I just run the aluminium mesh the full length and do away with the bread tray and carpet? If so, what mesh do you recomend, I managed to get a small peice of 22mm aluminium walkway but not enough to do the job? At a later date ill give the gold a go with the recommended riffle setup, but for now I would like to tailor it for just sapphires. Thanks.

G'day dozzer,

Sorry i haven't been of much use lately but just got back from chasing gold for the last 2 months in WA.

If it's purely for sapphires and you don't want any gold then you're best leaving the mat out altogether. I'd run a full section of 11mm catwalk from the end of the sluice to the slick plate section, making sure that the slick plate section is at least 500 long.

Remember that by doing this, with no mat, all the fine gold will wash through the box, (underneath the mesh), but you will get 95% of the sapphires. "don't use this method for gold" ;)

After about every 10 shovels of material remember to give the box a good shake to keep the Sapphires and zircons at the bottom.

Cheers Wal. :)

Thanks Wal will do. The banker is almost ready for her maden voyage. :)

Thanks for the welcome back guys.

Look forward to the results of the maiden voyage Dozzer, keep the rocker action going up there on the weld as the spinel (black jack) is crazy in that stream :eek: .....and look forward to some sapphire pics on your return.

Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts