Building a large capacity High-banker - Instructional video

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome. That would be great to meet you.
Excuse my ignorance... send a PM?
Jeff

Just make 3 more posts Jeff as you need 10 posts to open the PM system. You will then be able to post a message to my "In Box". Cheers Wal. :)

jml said:
Awesome. That would be great to meet you.

Jeff

That is so cool that you are so close together!!!

Mate, you will find so much more info and 'hands on' experiance with local prospectors.

Gary's stuff online is good, and you need to take all this information on board, to eventually make your own destiny!!!

Ok, excellent. Now I understand.
Yes, we could almost have a yarn over the back fence.
Jeff

jml said:
Hi Wal,

I am in the process of building a HB according to your design on youtube. I think I have found a source for the straight sided aluminium grate in Fyshwick. It is 13mm thick with a 35mm opening in the grate. It took sometime to find I must say.
I have been reading Gary Weishaupt's article on sluices and of particular interest are his results of testing the Clarkson riffle (angle 15 dgree set back into the flow) for fine gold recovery. Have you had any experience with these?
Also with regard to your cut out design on the bread grate why not allow the zig-zag pattern to continue further down the grid? I am trying to understand the theory behind your pattern.
And when bread grate sits on the mat do you have in such a way that it is pinching down to the base of the matting so as to 'seal' off the flow under the grate?
Sorry for all the qestions. I think I've watched you youtube a dozen times so as to fill in the gaps of my understanding.
Regards
JML
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The modified Clarkson Riffle System which angles the riffles forward to get them more vertical to the water flow, has great merit in many situations. This concept is certainly better when using a "Hungarian" style riffle for trapping high specific gravity items (including Sapphires) with the gold. By creating a more vertical riffle to the water flow the "Eye" of the vortex becomes wider and encourages a rapid fall out of the heavies.(sapphires included). ;)

If i was to use a Hungarian style riffle for general use, i would certainly use a Clarkson style reverse angle. My favorite is still the vertical sided expanded, and given the right slope, gives an almost identical vortex to the Clarkson, only with 10 times the riffles. Like i say...I use mine for combination work and not just for gold...Cheers Wal. :)

G'day guys and gals,

I currently have a 36" river sluice which I capped at the end and converted into a recirculator with a 2000GPH bilge and hopper, I call it Frankensluice and i'm over it big time, too much effort and little reward if any! I need to be right in close to where the action is shoveling and classifying at the same time moving some volumes while pumping right out of the river rather than shifting buckets and classifying 2 times through improvised gear to get the material to run out at the bottom of set up so i'm gonna strip down current set up, source some of the parts you mention on the vid WalnLiz to convert currnt sluice as a prototype before have a box bent up if I can get my hands on scrap (gonna email some suppliers and see if I can buy scrap if available) and have a go as I see the need now to start moving volumes!

New to the hobby and been out 3 times now, went to Ophir over Christmas with kids and wife in toe for a bit of looky and loved the place, pitty about the water source is contaminated with sewerage, chemicals and nasty bacteria, brought home some nasty s#%t on my shoulder so I wont be swimming in Ophir creek again if I ever go back! Been bush camping on the Turon for a looky over Easter long weekend and loved that so I made it a long weekend with Anzac Day and went back to the Turon which you can see the bottom through the water.. I have a modified Hilux off roader which goes just about anywhere I steer it so I can combine the love of the outdoors, bush camping, prospecting and 4x4ing at the same time.. Found a few spots that I want to highbank, not to mention I don't mind hiking gear in to places I cant get the Hilux in to get to the good stuff that's not hammered, just need to buy pump, hoses, fitting, scrap and rename it The Terminator, lol..

Cheers,

Ross

Welcome to the forum Ross,

That's the beauty of Wals forward clarifying concept, being able to classify on the go and check through tailings for larger nuggets or gemstones before discarding it. So in a way you can save time and be more efficient using this design.

I'm yet to build one of these but plan on doing so very soon, and as you can see by some of the guys on here who have utilised this design, they're already seeing great results.

Keep us updated on your modification process.

Cheers,
Nugget

Thanks Nugget,

Yeah forward classifier with the angles further down to spread debris either side seems to suit my plans till I start knocking it up but I think i'll make the classifier a bit shorter so I can see whats going on in the box regarding flow and expulsion, what interests me more is the single slotted spray bar which i'm keen as on, my current spray bar is a nightmare to adjust.. I need less tinkering and more shoveling!

Do I start first with the pump and work my way up from there for irrigation fittings, valve and attachments? I'm thinking Honda WX15 (unless feedback influences me in another direction) as some of the places I want to set up have the water source 20 - 40 meters away flat running and other areas 10 - 15 meters away with water flowing up the bank with 1 - 2 meter gradual incline..

WalnLiz in your video you show how to disassemble and assemble box components, you bolt down that middle section made from bakers tray with a Z piece, is that piece snug on top of the bakers tray to hold it in place or is it elevated off the bakers tray to act as a riffle as well? Not real clear in the video..

Cheers,

Ross

G'day Ross

Before you attempt to make a similar Hi-banker send me a PM as it is quite easy to get the proportions wrong. There's different combinations for the trapping sections (one for gold only & one for gold / Sapphires combination ). I can give some detailed descriptions on your build to get the combinations " Right" the first time. ;) The wx15 pump is perfect for the banker and I often run 60m away from the river. Cheers Wal. :)

WalnLiz said:
G'day Ross

Before you attempt to make a similar Hi-banker send me a PM as it is quite easy to get the proportions wrong. There's different combinations for the trapping sections (one for gold only & one for gold / Sapphires combination ). I can give some detailed descriptions on your build to get the combinations " Right" the first time. ;) The wx15 pump is perfect for the banker and I often run 60m away from the river. Cheers Wal. :)

G'day Wal,

Far too kind on your offer mate so thank you and when I get a few more posts up on the bench i'll shoot you over a PM..

Think I will stick with the gold recovery bits first which means i'll need slopped gear in the box opposed to the vertical stuff ? Later on down the track I might want to experiment with the two types of recovery you have going..

Once again thank you for your kindness..

Cheers,

Ross

Wal
I have never had anything to do with any sluices. But after watching a couple of your videos I am going to have to build myself one!!!!

What an inspirational video, you are truly an ambassador for our chosen hobby

I know there are limitations on using motorised equipment in Qld but can a high banker and pump be used on any of the gold streams in NSW? I have heard that the peel river at nundle is only hand fossicking equipment

Keep up the good work and it great to see the gems and gold are still around if you are prepared to work for it!

Regards

Richard

G'day Rastys,

There's a few areas like Nundle where you can't, but most areas allow them. It's still a grey area in NSW but there has never been a court case to set a precedent on their use. If all hi-banker users do the right thing they should be a viable tool for many years to come. It only takes a few bad apples in the basket to ruin the use of hi-bankers, so we all need to be ambassadors for our hobby. ...Cheers Wal. :)

Hi Wal,

I too have been inspired by your hi-banker and I'm currently getting a quote to have one built by a mate. Your video is fantastic and gives me hope that one day I will find a little more than just the skerricks that I currently find. I may need to get some of that cat walk off you if you still have some left - I'll just see if my guy can source some first. Love the video's you guys put up and I'm keen to see the next one soon I hope.... how long till the next?

G'day Myles

Look forward to following your progress with the new banker. If your mate can't get the mesh just send me a PM and we can organize something.Best of luck with the project Myles.

Cheers Wal.

I have put some drawings on the Specification Post.
I hope that is OK
I start on my highbanker this weekend :) so I will keep you posted.
Regards
Richard

(sorry about the previous post I kept hitting the wrong key) :(

Rastys 1964 said:
I have put some drawings on the Specification Post.
I hope that is OK
I start on my highbanker this weekend :) so I will keep you posted.
Regards
Richard

(sorry about the previous post I kept hitting the wrong key) :(

hi Richard

i will be working in Singo over the weekend ,if you need any alloy mesh send me a PM as i will have a few lenghts in my ute of various types

Pauly

1370170847_waliz.jpg

happy birthday's or Merry Xmas , whichever comes first

Latest posts