Bubbling sluice !! help or hinderence ???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Aussiefarmer,
I too have bubbles over my riffles completely normal. As the was enters my hopper, than sluice. I run a rubber damper 6mm thick by 600 long.What this does it breaks surface tension and create's a low pressure area that gives fine gold time to drop. Also if your in an area the holds only fines; Classify your material even futhur.Hope this helps
Regards Pennyweight

A/F slick areas in a sluice/banker is highly recommended they do work great and it would well be worth the time to install one. Pennyweights system also works great and is worthy of investigation. I would say a large percentage of your Cavitation {air bubbles} are coming from your jetting. What effect cavitation has on your system well that all depends on the ground your working and the size of the gold in it. J.
1447279263_thumb.jpg

Bubbles could float some gold but you have enough turbulance to drop it elsewhere down the sluice.

If your interested in this grease technique, I found a few diamond trays down a local creek 8) mabey for topaz / sapphire..I don't know. But to me it must be a parafin wax on a plate which catches the heavier rocks as they sink into it. Cleanup involves heating the wax with elements or blower

Sorry farmer your topic slipped past a few times by the looks of it!

I believe you will find the grease traps work on diamond because their surface is hydrophobic, so the surface resists water but sticks to grease, normally the opposite applies.

shivan said:
I believe you will find the grease traps work on diamond because their surface is hydrophobic, so the surface resists water but sticks to grease, normally the opposite applies.
So gold wouldn't have an issue either then being hydrophobic itself ;)

Jembaicumbene said:
Cavitation {air bubbles} in your sluice? In my sluice, well the cavitation runs down a slick area then forms a line just before the riffle section and then rolls back on itself dropping any fine gold trapped in the bubble as it rolls.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6236/1446335399_bubbles_copy.jpg

It looks like you have a hydraulic jump in your sluice. Does the water speed off the slick plate into slower moving water over the riffles? It's pretty cool how it wipes those bubbles out. Is that where you trap a lot of gold?
Jon

Jon sorry but I will not go into detail on how my unit operates on an open web site, I have in the past lost to many ideas to others who have claimed them as their own. I am sure you will understand my position. There is a lot going on in a section which cant be seen and I will not show, 90% of the gold is retained in that section. You really got to see the way the Cavitation/bubbles roll it really is something to see I will get around to making a video on it one day but I am not very good at that. You may also say the section where the cavitation operates is a bit like an extendable removable drop box.
1447292069_thumb.jpg

Jembaicumbene said:
Jon sorry but I will not go into detail on how my unit operates on an open web site, I have in the past lost to many ideas to others who have claimed them as their own. I am sure you will understand my position. There is a lot going on in a section which cant be seen and I will not show, 90% of the gold is retained in that section. You really got to see the way the Cavitation/bubbles roll it really is something to see I will get around to making a video on it one day but I am not very good at that. You may also say the section where the cavitation operates is a bit like an extendable removable drop box.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6236/1447292069_thumb.jpg
By any chance would it be possible to have a froth-catcher incorporated to recover floating metals?

AtomRat said:
Jembaicumbene said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6236/1447292069_thumb.jpg
By any chance would it be possible to have a froth-catcher incorporated to recover floating metals?

Yes indeed I do run one in my diamond attachment that fits the end of the sluice but not for metal but for vegetation. There again nothing like it has been seen and I will not show. But in the diamond catchment sluice I have an under and over water current. I use this attachment when working in a known diamond area even though you lose more than you get something is better than nothing.

Latest posts