broken ankle

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well on sunday i was feeling adventurous and decided to go for a ride on the 400 went to kick start it and it had a compression lock up and kicked the kick start back into my ankle with enough force to lift me of the ground its been 2 days and the pain is intense needless to say i was laying on the ground for about 2 hrs until the misses came home to find me on the ground unable to walk. lesson learnt never wear thongs to start a bike wear good supporting shoes that support your ankle's so i wont be able to got prospecting for a while.... learning to walk with crutches is a whole different ball game now i wish i didn't own a high set house.. who knows i might even give the bike up all together cant afford to be able not to walk out here in the bush so many things to do .. :rolleyes:

I completely understand your situation.

I purchased a Bultaco 360 cc Montedero from a Lady rider who broke her ankle trying to start it one day....had similar experiences many times until I worked out that you needed to raise your whole body up on the leg you were kick starting with so that the whole weight came down and not just the leg.....even then I have been rudely thrown to the ground a few times.

Loved that bike though and rode it both on and off the road....mind you it was more comfortable in the dirt at the side of the road rather than on the tarmac with those knobby tyres.

I was riding this bike on an Island in Papua New Guinea (in thongs as you do) when I hit a large coconut with the foot peg under my right foot....didn't really notice it until I went to get off later that I had broken a bone in my foot.

Stuffed up my dancing skills ....or at least that is the excuse I have been using for years now.

regards

thanks fellas this sitting around is getting to me you can only watch youtube so much .... lol :)

You should be spending your time inventing a wheeled contraption for your leg that you can strap a detector onto so that you can still get about and do the things you love to do.

regards and repair your self quickly as Grumpy Old Men wear quite thin after a while

I sold my Harley last week so i could get a twin cab hilux or triton. Just so i can prospect more! I love getting out in the bush :)
Hey Adam do you like your Garrett Ace 350? have you compared it with any other detectors?

yeah the Garrett isn't to bad but sometimes it doesn't cope well with the heavy mineralization in the soil to be honest ive been getting better results with a pan around the creeks here there is just so much crap in the area here 90% of the things i pick up is iron but i do get reasonable depth up to about 10-15 inches which i think its pretty good if you can go any but the at gold or even better get the gpx5000

Bad luck bloke.
I had an old XL 600,and if she wasnt top dead centre,you could end up cracking bones.
My love is X racing CR,YZ and RM 250 smoke blowers.
Grip it,rip it and hang on.

Bad luck there for sure. You cant even say you had a huge stack while going flat out in the bush or show off gopro footage. I have a big bore two smoker but no worries with kickbacks as it has a decompression head mod. Not really a problem telling when the rings are worn out as they are very hard to wear out anyway. Im not a hell man desert racer and will probably sell it soon because I don't want to be in your situation. One of the good things about detecting is it's fun and a rush at times but not particularly dangerous. :) get well soon.

Hay Adam,
You live and learn I suppose.
I have a KTM 520 exc and would never chance kicking it in thongs. It's bad enough in boots.
Luckily it has a magic button :D

Cheers
Mick

lol yeah i learn t me lesson i got the motorbike because i can throw a backpack with a few beers in it and the detector and a small pick a few pans my gps uhf and a few other things in the back pack i thought it would be cheap lol wasn't i wrong lol on a other note it lets me catch up on my electronics, put new glow plugs in my hj60 and radiator that will be fun with one leg working , put the central locking kit in wire up some more relays and the list goes on and on and on the bike was a sp400 an old girl i think around late 70's wouldn't work so i had to replace some capacitors and resistors in the cdi

Did the same on the son's Honda DT100 only I thought I had dislocated big toe too but it was fractured at the joint, 4 pins and a small plate to sort of fix it. The most pain was when the pins and plate were removed and I tried to stand :eek:

Get Well soon. Hay never tried to detect on crutches :rolleyes:

Bob.

no i haven't yet navybob i might wait till im better lol i should of had my old navy boots on and i would of been right

Ouch Adamaus, I had a broken lower leg once, not a good thing, hope you recover quickly and get out and about soon. Use the time layed up to work on those projects and do ssome research, and most of spend some time with the family!

Cheers, Tone

Hope that ankle heals up well & quickly Adamaus.

I got an old "Ag" bike to get about. Kawasaki KV175 two smoker.
Still got the hay racks - front & back :D

Yet to take it out with all my panning gear - mainly coz I'm not a big fan of solo riding out in the middle of nowhere.

Will buddy up with someone one day

Latest posts