Boiling advice please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bash plate under the motor actually is very important. It
seals the engine bay off causing a vacuum under the bonnet that draws
more air through the radiator.

Also most important to retain the fan shroud. It must
at least come back level with the back of the fan. This is
to stop the air the fan has pulled through recirculating back around
the fan. Air will take the easiest path.
If fitting an electric fan, It must also be fited with a shroud.

There are supposed to be rubber skirts along the chassis rails to seal
the gaps off between the inner guards as well.

That bull bar looks the same as the original one for my Prado.
The winch bar I have has vents in it every where.
Most important not to cover any of them with a number plate.
The one I have now mounts the number plate off to one side to prevent
any interruption to the air flow.

The original viscous fans do a good job. Mine roars like mad until it sorts
itself out when first started of a morning.

Well done. It is a bloody nice feeling when you sort a problem out.

On a Landrover I did put a fly screen mesh in front of the radiator to stop the bugs going in . I found it stopped the air flow too much and was removed . I had a thermo fan sitting in the garage doing nothing . So I decided to put it on the Landrover , I kept the original fan behind the seats . It worked well around NSW, but when I went to NW Q'land in hot weather it had a hard job keeping up .Slow speeds in the bush . The L/rover had the original generator not an alternator . The original fan was put back on .

Yer should'a bought a Prado cruiser Ken! :lol: :lol: :lol: best flamin V6 on the Flamin planet!...go anywhere...almost,...sleep in em..bonk in em! :eek: :lol: :lol: git parts at any woolies store :p drives like a rolls-royce...oh well ..young boys toys!... :lol: :lol: :lol: :playful: don't worry young fella, you still got time to learn these things son :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) :cool: :Y:

:party: :party: :party: :party: Well i have had a win :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

First of all thank you everyone for your advice
Fitted the 3mm checker plate bash plate with built in air ram now the temp sits on 78 instead of 110 which is 4 above boiling point
The big test will be tomorrow with the caravan on and heading up into Kangaroo Valley If i can get there ok then i am set for trips away
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: If not there will be a Hilux Ute suitable for spare parts only over the side of the mountain (you have to get it out lol) ]:D ]:D ]:D ]:D

1603080059_1.jpg

1603080073_2.jpg

1603080087_3.jpg

1603080097_4.jpg

Yeah!...Now improve the cooling on the Turbo with the intercooler so it feeds the engine with cooler air! :lol: :lol: :cool: :Y: hehe...great to hear you've made significant headway mate...Maryborough will never be the same after we hit town mate! :lol: :lol: :lol: :Y: :cool:

I don't like the look of the bash plate ken , i can see the front of it causing you grief. Just my view.
Jim :/ :/ :

I have a piece of checkerplate in the garage for exactly the same purpose-can't see what probs can occur unless a decent size rock get in between the plate and the sump.

The bash plate is there for a reason jack and that is to protect the sump and front end as it slides over rocks and wheel humps, i can see the front of that one digging in.
Just my take on it . Jim

reynard said:
The bash plate is there for a reason jack and that is to protect the sump and front end as it slides over rocks and wheel humps, i can see the front of that one digging in.
Just my take on it . Jim
For a veh that didnt have anything to start with and the way its designed and the height off the ground i dont think its going to be a problem
I look after my 4x4 and wouldnt put it in a situation where it goes into the ground nose first
I would have to be at 80 degrees or higher and that aint gonna happen remember 99 percent of the places i go i will have my van on behind me

Car/ bull bar manufacturers...
Aesthetics looks over common sense every time!
I ripped out my factory grill and tossed it for black SS security mesh.
Sure it dosent have the same air flow capacity as the open grill.
But my radiator is perfectly unscathed.
With no fins bent over from bugs and stones etc.
A perfect condition radiator can handle a small consistent loss of air .
The bugs I can brush off easily now, regaining 100% air flow of its capacity.
Most cars these days have their air fins protected from the air condenser.
These have more air flow restriction than the radiator itself!
Worth replacing prior to re- gassing.
Not that expensive really.
Major air flow improvement gained from such.

There is no electric fan available on the market that can out do the manufactured fan with cowling... period!
If you tow a van constantly . Get the fan locked up.
The fan is not just designed to cool the radiator, it also blows air over your entire engine, exhaust manifold, and down to your transmission!
If you think an after market thermo can compete with a 300hp driven fan.....think about it!

Latest posts