Blackwood Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there
Just started up detecting again after 25 years, used to go out alot with the old man when i was a little tacker.
Im only 30 mins away from Blackwood, so i thought i would start somewhere close to home.
Been going to long gully, and nuggety gully for the last 6 weeks on weekends and all im finding is old pegs,nails,slugs (junk) and getting constantly attack by leeches. My legs a full of welts, its very steep terrain and everything is overgrown , its tough going out there.
Just wondering if its even worth detecting around blackwood. I no you can not detect in the lerderderg but wombat you can or should i just start around the ballarat area?

Hi guys I'm new on here I'm just wondering if there's anyone that does well at Blackwood I only know of 2 spots in the wombat that is clear enough to prospect I'm sure there more good places in Blackwood .im keen to learn more about the place I think there's still plenty of gold there ..I will appreciate any info anyone has on it ..cheers Mick

Gday MB,
Blackwood is one of those very difficult goldfields due to the under growth and very steep terrain.
I'm sure " there is gold in them there hills" but it will take a very determined fit person to persist with it.
I say go for it mate and reap it's rewards.
Cheers Steve ;)

Your right mate it's a full on workout when ever I go there I always find something when I'm there never big stuff just tiny little nuggets you have to work your backside off for them lol cheers mate

Hi all i am thinking of going to blackwood next weekend and was wondering if anyone has any information about the area not looking for your special places just somewhere to have a swing that has a chance of some yellow stuff.any info would be appreciated. Thanks

i thought all the blackwood diggings were underground so i guess mostly around tailings would be a good start The gold at obriens crossing was all ultrafine the black snake mine was flower gold .
the tunnel upstream from there is not a gold mine it is just a diversion of the river so around that diversion could be good

the tunnel was dug in the 30's by my ancestors i believe they retrieved $160 worth of gold at the time , you could also have a look at quartz reefs and detect below those reefs

cheers
Ron

okay I'm new to detecting I know nothing about them or what to buy.
I have a mate that lives in blackwood on a few acres and an the block has old working on it.

thinking on hiring a detector to start with to try my luck out the Blackwood area over a weekend.
what should I get keeping in mind I do plan on buying on soon..

2300? 4500? 5000
or any other options out there.

Cheers

Hire the 2300 for ease of use :Y: if you haven't used a detector before. There a simple machine and will find gold if it's there and within the machines working capabilities. You might be hooked sooner than you though :D.

All the best sounds exciting, let us know how you go.

I agree with RM Outback.

Metal Detectors come in three main categories.

Toys - for want of a better term. You know the ones they kids get

Relic/Coin hunters - Good for relics and coins, not so much for gold. Some in this category can do sand and salt water, like the Minelab CTX3030.

Gold - 2300,4500, 5000 & 7000 - they go up and up in price, so budget becomes a big factor. I have personally used the 2300 and the 7000. Both are excellent machines but are very different in price, $2.5K vs $10K. SInce the 7000 came out I have seen some great bargains online for the 4500 and 5000, so maybe that may be an option for you. Both very capable machines.

I would hire the 2300 first. There is a learning curve to any machine. But the 2300 is pretty much turn on and go.

In relation to other brands, if you are serious about finding gold in AUS, then IMHO, Minelab is the way to go. I do own a Garrett ATX Gold and wish I never bought it. Although I do like the Garrett pinpointers over the Minelab ones.

Good luck with finding the yella.

Just to clarify before the Garrett ATX Gold owners get upset, I don't mean to say that the ATX Gold isn't a good machine, just not what I was looking for at the time I purchased it.

I hired an SDC from Coiltek centre in Maryborough for my first time out and highly recommend it for that purpose. Very easy for a novice to use, so you can just concentrate on the detecting and whether it's something you might find enjoyable or just frustrating/boring. I also got 4 little nuggets that I wouldn't have found with anything else... I don't think.

Give Coiltek Maryborough a call and the hire will cost you $60 a day. Then hit any mullock heaps on the private property and I'll be surprised if you come away empty handed.

If you're going to buy after that, then you might want to think more about the other options, as I tend to think that a 4500 with an elite or evo coil is probably a better long term setup for similar money. The SDC will very likely find you more nuggets, but I think the weight of your finds will be better with the 4500... not that I have one of those myself, so take this with a grain of salt.

Latest posts