Blackwood mines Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, this is going to be a very ambiguous post as I don't have a lot of information... Some friends and I camped along the Lerderderg River in the Sultan Reef area... We went for a bushwalk and found two interesting mines on the eastern side of the river. One of the mines was in to the side of a hill and had rail tracks on the floor. The was also water running out of it. This one went quite a way into the side of the hill - we got to the end and we hit a T intersection and, on the right side of the shaft at the end, was a vertical shaft (again filled with water). We also found some foundations down from the entrance - maybe crusher foundations? The entrance to the shaft in the side of the hill was a wide flat area where I assume they handled the ore. The other shaft we found was to the south of the shaft in to the side of the hill but still on the eastern side of the river... This one was fenced off and was a wide vertical shaft that was quite deep... We didn't go near it just threw some rocks in to see if we could ld hear them hit the bottom.

I know only those familiar with the area may know what I'm talking about... Does anybody know anything about either of these mines?

Only a few of the mines in the area were worked below water level - and then not for long. Shareholder politics caused the closure of one, and the rising water there flooded the other one, being interconnected. Heading up within the next week or so for a look around myself - if your descriptions of the area become less ambiguous and I can put names to the shafts/tunnels if I come across the same area I shall let you know.

Latest posts