Black silver sand...?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have been crushing some rock which contains a few small pickers, after panning the crushed rock and removing the black sand and also the dolly pot steel with a magnet I was left with the following.
1396846412_silver1.jpg

1396846437_silver2.jpg

I dont have much experience with normal black sand because I've not found a heap of it in the creek where I found the rock I've just crushed, is this just normal black sand which has gone a bit silver like because I've crushed it, or something else?

Interestingly apart from the two pickers which fell out of the rock before I crushed it there does not seem to be other gold in the rock.

Photos were taken through a 30x loupe.

I would imagine it's part of your crushing device,it will most likely be magnetic. I have a magnet attached just before the sluice on my crusher so it picks it out before it gets mixed with the gold concentrates.

Hare_Twigga, I have already removed the magnetic bits with a magnet.

Thanks mfdes, it could be Hematite.

All the silver-black stuff in this pan is arsenopyrite bonded with gold - super difficult to separate the two, even a blue bowl wouldn't do it.

1150414_10200897731740202_54084189_n.jpg

Arsenopyrite is super common in association with gold bearing quartz reef in a lot of areas.

Hare_Twigga, the dolly pot is just made from steel and I thought hematite was magnetic too.

Ben, I think you might be right. I had a quick Google on arsenopyrite and some of the pictures look really similar to what I have. According to Wikipedia it should smell like garlic when i crush it!

G0lddigg@, does graphite occur with gold?

gcause, Ill leave the silver bits in my pan and see if they spread or migrate. It will me mercury if it does.

Had the same stuff after sluicing and panning .man hard
to shift it so I built a wave table just a small one and put
1.5 mm rubber black not rippled mat at 5 degrees angle.
This worked a treat .I've since put a head shaver under
table to vibrate the table .
What ever you do do not try and melt it .I learnt the hard
way it doesn't like that ohhhh no! :eek: Dr.

Nitric Acid breaks it down - but I decided it was better for my health to pick out the bits I could and turf the rest ;)

There is a couple steps to go through to identify a mineral firstly how hard is it will it scratch glass or will glass scratch it, If it is arsenopyrite it should be 5.5 - 6 on the MOHs scale meaning glass should scratch it. next make sure its dry and try get a streak on a white and a black surface it should streak dark grayish black.

But going on the size it might be hard to test the sample but its most likely a sulfide which include your pyrite family, but knowing the part of the country you found it and reading a geological survey focused in or around the gold rush in the area should tell all the other minerals found in your rock, which will give you a short list to work off.

here is a good place to start for reports
http://www.farlang.com/view_pages_by_tags?tag=Gold

Thanks all, it sounds like it is some type of pyrite and not something else more precious. Thanks all for the input!

Latest posts