Black sand?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just spotted this on fb. This is apparently a pic of some black sand taken with a usb microscope. Wow! Who woulda thought huh?
1464064935_fb_img_1464064694265-320x240.jpg
:eek: 8)

Goldengoose wrote "Black sand is plentiful, finding a viable way to extract all the color might be a bit harder".

Is this why the old timers used mercury to bind to any available gold no matter how minute...then kept the mercury in water and then when it had enough gold attached in an amalgam...they would burn off the mercury and "viola" a speck of gold????????? :)

In my research of using a blue bowl I came across a site called Iowa blue bowl use. google it to find the page, tried posting the link but won't work, but it is an interesting read on the micro gold using house hold items to extract gold from black sand. Not sure if it works cos I haven't tried it. Saving the black sands I have for a rainy day.

MikeB05 said:
Goldengoose wrote "Black sand is plentiful, finding a viable way to extract all the color might be a bit harder".

Is this why the old timers used mercury to bind to any available gold no matter how minute...then kept the mercury in water and then when it had enough gold attached in an amalgam...they would burn off the mercury and "viola" a speck of gold????????? :)

All good ;)

Guys are still finding mercury in their pans from the stuff used years ago.
I was thinking more along the lines of an affordable, environmentally safe system similar to the silver recovery systems. The micro gold recovery systems available that I'm aware of would be more suited to the professional not the hobbyist.

I will run this one past the chemical engineers in the lab later in the week but be expecting a few pages worth! :)

Yep, still plenty of mercury out there. Even in my small experience I have had to 'rescue' gold I've panned from sailors creek Daylesford from mercury entrapment.
First time was a fright, heavy silver lump in pan and thought to myself, 'hmmmm, strange. I'll just pop that in the vial with the rest of today's finds and take a look at that when I get home'
Got home and found half my gold was in the process of transforming. Quick Google and then outside to stand in the breeze and play the bernzomatic over the gold whilst holding my breath whilst at the same time wearing a respirator with goggles and gloves etc
Carry two vials bare minimum now so as to have one for anything suspiciously silvery
:D

Got the link for that fb page chewy?

Danielkrupski - from what I know that will just give you clean mercury. I don't think it would help the gold release from mercury as its an amalgam. Vinegar would most likely surface impurities but not the gold as its amalgamated.

I personally don't reccomend people burning mercury without precaution, experience or help etc. If you used gloves, goggles and mask, they would have a contaminiation of mercuric oxide. Correct disposal and storage of items needs to be considered. If using a retort its better to store it in a sealed water container after use etc please make sure you understand its hazards and handling / storage correctly.

https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/96252.htm

Nah it's not for the Mercury just for the black sands. Try find the site atom rat and u will see what I mean. Google Iowa blue bowl use

Latest posts