Bilge pumps information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run two by deep cycle 170Ah batteries on two 3700GPH Rule pumps (should be 7400GPH but actually is 5200GPH) which last in excess of 5hrs and leave the batteries half charged (check amp ratings on pumps as the advertised flow rates are not the only things that differ. I have both a Walbanker (which i have to use a petrol pump) and a conventional Grizzly Highbanker which i can run either elec or fossil fuel. I started out paranoid about "Nundle Guy", but after lugging batteries etc up hill and down, i am happy to have it out with him every day and not have to lug the batteries.
If i'm not wanting people to know where i am, i use electric, otherwise i can't see the point as it is just so heavy. I made a cart system up whereby i can pull both the sluice and batteries along thru rough terrain but i still don't see the point unless i want to be ultra quiet.

As far as amounts of water are concerned, i found electric lead length and diameter to be ultra critical. i also found lay flat length to be important but less critical. i tie commons in the electrical as in +ve to +ve which is a parallel CCT and allows a newer battery to pull along a slightly older battery.

gcause said:
Here is the Bilge Pump I use:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/mxfive_photos/Gold Prospecting/056.jpg

Never had a problem with this bilge pump they just keep on keeping on, it can run all day on a single charge. I just run it of the secondary battery from my Troopy. Just go for a drive to recharge the battery if needed.

Remember trapping the gold is all about water flow get it wrong and you will be losing gold out both ends of the high banker. You do not want a flood of water, you want to setup an eddy current that looks like a sine wave going over the riffles, it's the eddy current that will allow the gold to drop and get trapped by the riffles and matting.

I bought my high banker from Bruce Bertram at Warwick, he is a top bloke and he has perfected this high banker design over many years. Here is his number if you are interested in getting a high banker built 0423-659-001.

First thing to do is buy a level and use it to make sure your high banker is level on the ground both length wise and breadth wise. Then get your angle right about a quarter of an inch drop then secure it with rocks:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/mxfive_photos/Gold Prospecting/0b523ae2.jpg

Next you need to adjust your water flow so it shows up bubbles like this between the riffles:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/mxfive_photos/Gold Prospecting/0f277d5f.jpg

I use a pan underneath it and fly mesh around it to keep it from clogging up with silt and debris:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/mxfive_photos/Gold Prospecting/c51157ba.jpg

Here is the Astro Turf matting I use, its great catches even flour gold:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/mxfive_photos/Gold Prospecting/0f0748f7.jpg

Here is the Classifier built into the hopper:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/mxfive_photos/Gold Prospecting/6eff8e7a.jpg

Here is an example of the gold it traps right down to the flour gold:

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/mxfive_photos/Gold Prospecting/b2454837.jpg

Since these photos were taken I have replaced the black hose with some stronger reinforced hose that doesn't kink.

Never had a problem losing any gold from this high banker I have panned out the processed material after running it through the banker a few times now and have never found anything that it missed.

Also if you find you are getting gold in the last couple of riffles then your angle is way too steep as the gold should typically be trapped in the first three riffles only and mostly in the first one.

I also set the high banker up at home with the bilge pump sitting inside a large plastic tub full of water and just recirculate my water so I can process any material I have collected in the field. Also setup this way if there is little water left out in the field.

Hope this helps. :D

Thanks heaps Grant, you've been more than helpful. If I can't get it right after all of the advice I've just had, then I should give it away!.. LMAO

Should be ready for a trip out in about three weeks, so I'll post the results

Hi all, I am seeking info on the best, cheapest and right size bilge pump to buy for a small high banker, I am a little new to this and was wondering what other members are using. Would a 2000 gph be enough? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry but there are too many variables for you to get anything of value.
Size and type of highbanker, riffle type etc.
Try a search on bilge pumps as others have used them, it may give you a start point.

Barry

Would 2000gph be enough...? For what? "A small highbanker"? Really not enough info for anyone to help you out there mate. At very least we would need the width, length and riffle type you plan on using. Even so, not sure it's would be enough. I ran 2 x 1100gph bilge pumps in my highbanker as it was juuust enough...could have used some more though, and more pressure. Not sure the exact specs of my highbanker but have videos up on youtube if you're interested (see my signature below). Good luck :)

PotOfGold said:
Would 2000gph be enough...? For what? "A small highbanker"? Really not enough info for anyone to help you out there mate. At very least we would need the width, length and riffle type you plan on using. Even so, not sure it's would be enough. I ran 2 x 1100gph bilge pumps in my highbanker as it was juuust enough...could have used some more though, and more pressure. Not sure the exact specs of my highbanker but have videos up on youtube if you're interested (see my signature below). Good luck :)

Thanks for the reply PotoGold. Width is 8inches, length is 4', riffle is dream mat. Thinking I will go with a 3700 gph. "Seaflo" pumps seem to be reasonably priced compared to "Rule" pumps. Anybody had any experience with the Seaflo pumps?

Gday eppo. Ive had my 2000gph seaflo bildge pump afew years now never had a problem with it. Got it off ebay pretty cheap. That being said i only use it for my clean up sluice..

Seaflo don't burn out if they run dry so a good choice from that perspective.
Jon

absolutely 3700gph will offer the best flow for that setup , with 8" wide and the dream mat you will be able to pip down to 30mm spray bar without any loss on flow.

the ebay specials for $70 are very good units ive run one for years never missed a beat. but! remember to fuse your positive cant tell you how many times ive told people to add a fuse, fuse is much cheaper than a new pump.

I shot a video for a customer the other day in the backyard showing the flow let me know if this link works for you. you don't have to open an account to watch the video just close the account creation window.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lndm405o9xrfih7/SAM_3785.MP4?dl=0

Question, where can I get that Dream Mat from? it looks like the goods I have never seen it before and is it as good as it looks cheers Stew :8

Thanks golddigg I am in the middle of making a new river sluice and it looks like itwill save me a lot of work building rifles etc, so I will be in touch when I am ready for the mat Cheers stew

no worries Stew, mate alot lighter and easier to clean out than riffles :) catch finer gold too. good luck with the build mate

Hi All
After some feedback and advice please. This is only for VIC or home use.

I'm trying to get my head around the pump for running a high banker.

Options I can see

1) Use a genny and the 240V dirty water pump i have for home use
2) bilge pump and battery system

For Option 2 going to ~3000GPH for an 8inch sluice I can
A) buy a single 3000GPH bilge pump using 18amps
B) buy three 11000GPH bilge pump using 3 x 3 = 9amps

Pros for B
Lower cost for pump?
Lower Amp hours and therefore more running time out of a battery

Cons for B
More tubing to carry
Less head pressure and distance water can be pumped?

Even
Weight for one or three pumps appears about the same

Here is my question - what are the other cons i may be missing with B please
Thanks for your response

Hey fella, I assume the GPH figures you quoted are of the same value.

Running 3 will be a real PITA in the feild, maybe not so much at home. I suspect you will have cavitation issues in your draw running 3, and possibly filtering might be a further issue. The displacement of 3 inlets will be inferior to a single line. Wiring will be trickier, as will standard current draw running from the same input.

Perhaps Im wrong, its simply theory as Ive never tried what you are outlining, but Id go a single pump, less to keep an eye on imo.

i've had a few guys over the years come in and buy a second 1100 gph to run a small highbanker with the same concept, makes sense cheaper light on amp draw etc two have come back and bought a bigger pump due to being fiddly.
I've seen some of keenes mini bankers do this also split the load over tow batteries, personally i think that one hose, pump and battery is painfull enough let alone two pumps.

theres another factor to consider, most 1100 GPH bilge pumps have 4.5 meter of head at 2-3 feet that's about 900 gph output, a 3000 usually has around 6 meters head at 3 feet thats around 2000 gph.
another option is a 4700gph with 8 meters head pressure at 3 foot its puts out about 3800 GPH.

jumping back a notch
3 x 1100gph at 3 foot = 2700 gph amp draw 9
2 x 1100gph at 3 foot = 1800 gph amp draw 6
1 x 3000 gph 3 foot = 2000 gph - amp draw 18
1 x 4700 gph 3 foot = 3800 gph - amp draw 17

none of this takes into account friction loss of your hose, more hose = more surface area for friction loss to calculate.

I've been running the TMC 3000 for quite a few years and have been very happy with it for my 8 inch gear, for the past 16 odd months ive been running my 4700gph with a reducer and the flow is awesome, draws around 1.4 amps less per hour and doesn't work as hard, tradeoff is the additional size of the pump.

my recommendation would be to get the pump with capacity to suit and make sure you reduce friction loss as best you can using smooth bore hose and keeping it to a minimum.

hope that helps :beer:

Latest posts