Bilge pumps information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up on the thread. The weight of battery's tho silent to run all day would be twice if not three times as heavy to a petrol pump and if running lithium battery's would cost almost the same as four pumps not to mention the charger. Silence would be great but not quite practical

everything depends on run time really, when I used to run bilge pump I didn't work in the same way I do with a petrol pump. I used to take several large buckets with me i'd dig and classify into the buckets and then turn the pump on and run them all. One quick clean out into a separate bucket and your back into filling buckets. there's no reason to run your battery all day and a battery should not be heavier than a petrol pump.

The benefit of a petrol pump is many, longer run times, able to tranfer water at great lenghts, not limited by power etc etc but when your on a budget as per TheFossickingKid 's situation a petrol pump with all of its fittings can be prohibitive you would have to allow at least another $100 for fittings and hoses for a petol pump so he wouldn't get much change from $300 for going petrol. Bilge is a good starter but not a long term solution.

I do see your point there danielkrupski I have a bilge pump on my very first sluice that got made by someone he also got me the pump,battery and even the hoses. When I get the pump for the Highbanker I will most likely just use the battery that I got from the other sluice. As G0lddigg@ states that I'm on a budget that is true. After October I will most likely get a petrol pump.

Back to an old thread, does it have any detrimental effect on a bilge pump or battery, to run longer leads from the bilge pump to the battery? I'm talking maybe 30 metres long? Will this have an effect on the amps / volts (not big on things electrical).
Saying this because the spot some of us go is only that far from the vehicle. Thinking this saves buying, charging and lugging a battery. Just lift the bonnet and connect.

The further you go from the battery source the larger diameter cable you will need. I reckon if you used a 10amp 240 extn lead with battery clips at each end it would cover the voltage drop for the distance.
Jack

Jaros said:
The further you go from the battery source the larger diameter cable you will need. I reckon if you used a 10amp 240 extn lead with battery clips at each end it would cover the voltage drop for the distance.
Jack

That would be ideal I think, thanks Jaros :)

TTKooAu said:
Back to an old thread, does it have any detrimental effect on a bilge pump or battery, to run longer leads from the bilge pump to the battery? I'm talking maybe 30 metres long? Will this have an effect on the amps / volts (not big on things electrical).
Saying this because the spot some of us go is only that far from the vehicle. Thinking this saves buying, charging and lugging a battery. Just lift the bonnet and connect.

Hope you're running the bilge from an isolated deep cycle battery under the bonnet and not the main cranking battery. ;) Very easy to overlook the current draw, and nothing worse than if you're the last bloke there with a flat battery. ;)

Here's a cable sizing chart.
You will have to work out the current draw for your pump before you start.

http://www.rpc.com.au/pdf/Wire_Chart.pdf

TTKooAu said:

Looking at that chart a 12volt 2000gph bilge pump running 30m from the battery requires a cable thickness of 25.7mm square thats approx 6mm cable. I think you will find 10 amp extension lead is only 2.5mm. Any sparkies out there correct me if im wrong.

Cracka

I don't believe you can carry 12v with a 30 metre extension efficiently. Better off having a dedicated battery that is movile :)

Heres my highbanker setup running a 2000gph bilge pump I got from super cheap for $40.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/XKOrywNTP5o[/video]

This was from one of my cleanups, the highbanker just has the green astroturf in it and it works great at catching fine gold:

1415051354_img_0054.jpg

WalnLiz said:
TTKooAu said:

Hope you're running the bilge from an isolated deep cycle battery under the bonnet and not the main cranking battery. ;) Very easy to overlook the current draw, and nothing worse than if you're the last bloke there with a flat battery. ;)

Makes good sense, Thanks Wal.
I'll probably just carry a spare down to the creek and not be so wussy! Sounds like I'd need 30 metres of welding cable to carry the power anyway.... didn't want to make a career out of it!... :lol:

gcause said:
Heres my highbanker setup running a 2000gph bilge pump I got from super cheap for $40.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/XKOrywNTP5o[/video]

This was from one of my cleanups, the highbanker just has the green astroturf in it and it works great at catching fine gold:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1497/1415051354_img_0054.jpg

Hi Grant,
How is the supacheap performing in the wear stakes? I read that some leak or get wear and tear... Still at $40 I guess it is not really an issue in this disposable world.

Mine just keeps on keeping on, had it for 3 years now. Main thing is to put a decent filter around them to keep the junk out. Fly wire works well.

I heard at one stage they were no longer going to supply them but you can still get the same ones at BCF.

gcause said:
Mine just keeps on keeping on, had it for 3 years now. Main thing is to put a decent filter around them to keep the junk out. Fly wire works well.

I heard at one stage they were no longer going to supply them but you can still get the same ones at BCF.

Sounds good..... any particular brand or model?

Here is the Bilge Pump I use:

056.jpg

Never had a problem with this bilge pump they just keep on keeping on, it can run all day on a single charge. I just run it of the secondary battery from my Troopy. Just go for a drive to recharge the battery if needed.

Remember trapping the gold is all about water flow get it wrong and you will be losing gold out both ends of the high banker. You do not want a flood of water, you want to setup an eddy current that looks like a sine wave going over the riffles, it's the eddy current that will allow the gold to drop and get trapped by the riffles and matting.

I bought my high banker from Bruce Bertram at Warwick, he is a top bloke and he has perfected this high banker design over many years. Here is his number if you are interested in getting a high banker built 0423-659-001.

First thing to do is buy a level and use it to make sure your high banker is level on the ground both length wise and breadth wise. Then get your angle right about a quarter of an inch drop then secure it with rocks:

0b523ae2.jpg

Next you need to adjust your water flow so it shows up bubbles like this between the riffles:

0f277d5f.jpg

I use a pan underneath it and fly mesh around it to keep it from clogging up with silt and debris:

c51157ba.jpg

Here is the Astro Turf matting I use, its great catches even flour gold:

0f0748f7.jpg

Here is the Classifier built into the hopper:

6eff8e7a.jpg

Here is an example of the gold it traps right down to the flour gold:

b2454837.jpg

Since these photos were taken I have replaced the black hose with some stronger reinforced hose that doesn't kink.

Never had a problem losing any gold from this high banker I have panned out the processed material after running it through the banker a few times now and have never found anything that it missed.

Also if you find you are getting gold in the last couple of riffles then your angle is way too steep as the gold should typically be trapped in the first three riffles only and mostly in the first one.

I also set the high banker up at home with the bilge pump sitting inside a large plastic tub full of water and just recirculate my water so I can process any material I have collected in the field. Also setup this way if there is little water left out in the field.

Hope this helps. :D

Got one of these I'd be happy to sell as have other bankers and this puppy doesn't get used anymore.
I'll pull my finger out and post in for sale.

Latest posts