Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day fellow prospectors

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and I wish you all a safe and prosperous 2019.

6 months ago I rejoined the workforce, after being 'semi retired' for 3 years....it was Mrs Gates' idea, not mine. It was supposed to be a 6 month contract, with the possibility of it going longer....which it has. But before I stayed on, I told them I needed some time off to 'go bush'.

So, I knew my next prospecting trip was going to be in late December, and with things to do to the camper trailer, I set out my plan of attack.

I knocked off work on the 20th Dec and after the usual family Christmas stuff, I set my sights on hitting the road on the 28th.

After finishing off the jobs on the camper trailer, and purchasing a new Nugget Finder 19" Evolution coil and a Steel phase SP01 audio enhancer, I was ready to get back onto my lease and when I arrived on the 28th, the weather was 'nice and warm', which was ok.

Over the weekend, the temperature climbed to the low 40s and by Monday (31st), it hit 42, with the short range forecast saying 45, 43, 40, etc.

Not only was the heat taking a toll on me, my poor Primus Mammoth fridge couldn't keep up, as it was running all day and most of the night, too.

I cooked one of my deep cycle batteries (I'm glad I added a second, as insurance) and the entire bush fly population of Australia found out where I was camped and they all descended upon me....xxxk, I've never seen so many flies.

Suffice to say that by Monday, the decision was made to pack up and head home, which I did and I got home last night around 5pm.

Didn't find any yellow stuff but learnt a valuable lesson in mother nature's ability to throw a spanner in the works. Yes, I understand it gets hot in the goldfields in December/January, but now that I'm home, the forecast for the coming week seems to be in the low to mid 30s.

As I'm back to work on the 14th Jan, for another 2 months, I'm already planning my next trip in late Feb/early March.....hopefully it will be a bit cooler by then.

regards
rusty...

If your serious about keeping some flies away from camp, get this stuff or " fly strike" powder.
Bit of road kill kept in a releasable 4ltr container, kept just close to camp, but not stinky close. Guts or fish is best. And keep bait damp. Once they just touch it, its over for them.
1546405157_screenshot_2019-01-03-03-56-47.jpg

Goes a long way.
One ice cream container with some guts = tablespoon.

Latest posts