Beekeeping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They didn't like us. They attacked our dog Nelson a few times and he was very happy get his ablutions park to himself.They left as quickly as they came having found a new spot for the hive.
Not a honey person really. Except on raisin toast or hot cross buns.

1603273024_bees.jpg

Must be the time for them. Had a swarm removed yesterday.

Stupid bees. Sure has been a lot of swarming in my neighbourhood this year.
Just when I thought things were settling and i was heading of to the patch to ready it for tomatoes, there in front of me, what do i see? Another swarm.

1603765906_20201027_105705.jpg

1603765871_20201027_105721.jpg

Rang a few keepers but none could come straight away. Didn't want to lose them so i got a half smashed up box and put some frames in it, then into the carboard box.

Shook them in and it looks like they may settle. In the meantime I'm waiting for a new box to be delivered. Then I have to assemble it and put them in their new home.
Hopefully they won't take off in the meantime.

Maybe I'll sell it to some hipster in Brunswick :lol: :argh:

1603766174_20201027_130800.jpg

Getting a bit sick of this. :/

Do you want to get rid of the bee's HL , Kate will have a hive ready by the end of today and come down to pick them up. I can't come got too much on at the moment.

No. I'll Hang onto this bunch now RM. Already ordered the new hive. I reckon they'll stay put where i have them.

I can't believe I just saw another swarm though. Looks like they were heading to the neighbour across the road. If they settle I'll let you know. I've run out of cardboard boxes.

Weird season for a noob like me.

I've heard they swarm once their hive/home is full of honey. Given the amount of blossom on the box trees this year (most I've seen around here in the 18 years we've been here) as a consequence of a wet autumn and winter it makes sense. Could have come from hives with half or smaller frames in them if they haven't vacated a tree hive :/ As far as being a noob your a pro to Kate and I :lol:

Yeah, seems like a lot going on this year. If you hada contacted me half an hour earlier I wouldn't have ordered the new hive for this swarm.

The only problem is the windy and cold weather. Just spoke not long ago to John Edmonds and the queen rearing season has been delayed again. That's 3 years in a row now.

Will have to read this thread from the beginning, we are hoping to learn the ropes, like, beekeeping for dummies.
We have literally 1000's of bees visiting our garden and we thought, "Why not save them the extra mileage too and from their home."
The first thing I learned, was there are NO regulations/fees/licence, anyone can have a hive in their backyard in our town. :D

In a nutshell can anyone give me 5 do's & dont's relating to bee keeping?

Mackka said:
Where is Lesgold these days?
Mackka

Yeah. He'd be one of the more experienced here. He lost a lot of hives last summer which was terrible.

Nightjar, I'm not that experienced but they can be a bit high maintenance. Best advice I can give is always work them with smoke but not too much. I made the mistake once being a smarty pants and didn't light the smoker and started poking around.
Regretted that big time. Got down my boots and they all went into full bore attack. I was running like you see in the cartoons with a colony after you. Got swollen feet and could not wear shoes for a few days.
I wear gaiters now and double clothing as I am semi allergic.

I have a two full hives that some one didn't want so taped them up on a cold rainy day and relocated them to my garden. They seem happy but what happends if you don't collect the honey and they have too much stored up. Do they just stop collecting or leave? Sorry about the noob question.

These are the hives I have. How much does all the gear cost to collect honey with out the :poop: getting stung out off you? I know they are on an angle but Iwasn't really prepared to be offered two full hives. They seem happy enough.
1603847960_screenshot_20201028_114437.jpg

Latest posts