Beekeeping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, thats sounds really impressive. Dont think Ill be pulling much honey at all this year. Its a bit of a void year where nothing much will be flowering. Dont move hives, so I have to respond to what Mother Nature dishes up. Not really concerned about it as I have plenty of stock from a bumper season last year. Would like to leave each hive with good reserves to get through what could be a long, hot and dry summer.

Hi Folks,

Just thought Id give a bit of an update on a swarm I caught a couple of weeks ago. Had a look this morning to see how they are progressing. All frames are drawn out and a bit of nectar is coming in. Not a lot due to the very dry conditions but enough to keep them going.
1572308651_953a2feb-3dbf-4b57-b749-ada2f7a64657.jpg

Found the queen and she has just started to lay.
1572308724_59fb06d2-ce47-4522-8cb2-b0dc508f5e7b.jpg

There is evidence of eggs and young larvae which is a good sign.
1572308779_95f9d2e6-ab20-4265-be49-bd1757cca4c0.jpg

Looks like this hive will be a goer but the hard conditions will mean that it may not produce a surplus this year.

Cheers

Les

I had a problem with the hive, not so long ago, I also started this business. The situation is this: one of my hives is infected with insects, but it seems to me that the uterus is alive and not infected. I do not know what to do. On the one hand, I can remove the uterus and make a new hive, but on the other hand, there are risks that it is infected and can harm my neighboring hives. To destroy? But how then to destroy effectively so that the bees do not run away to infect others?

So many questions. Sorry, I'm a little in a panic from what is happening with me :(

Hi Liam,

Are you talking about the brood nest? What type of insects are they? Are they small black beetles about 3 or 4mm long? Just need a bit of clarification to get an idea of what is going on.

Liam6589 said:
I had a problem with the hive, not so long ago, I also started this business. The situation is this: one of my hives is infected with insects, but it seems to me that the uterus is alive and not infected. I do not know what to do. On the one hand, I can remove the uterus and make a new hive, but on the other hand, there are risks that it is infected and can harm my neighboring hives. To destroy? But how then to destroy effectively so that the bees do not run away to infect others?
So many questions. Sorry, I'm a little in a panic from what is happening with me :(

Do you mean "nucleus"?

Hi Folks,

Cleaned up a few bee frames yesterday. After a few years they tend to deteriorate in quality and need to be replaced. The potential for disease increases and the productivity of each frame also drops over time. Each time a bee pupates and hatches from a cell, the physical size of that cell decreases slightly due to the chrysalis that is left behind. Burr, cross, drone and distorted comb also impact on the future efficiency of that frame. Took some footage of the simple method that I use to sterilise and clean up frames ready for reuse in the hive. Hope you enjoy what I put together.

Cheers

Les
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/bK4t8dBNHWE[/video]

Tathradj said:
I would love to at least run 1 hive.
But would need to have an Epi pen handy.
I wounder what the Flow Hives would be really like. ?
That way I would not have to disturb the hives much
lowering the risk.

Flow hives are great, I got one last year, minimal disturbance for the bees, just use the key to crack the frames and let the honey flow out.
No mess, no fuss. Great idea.
Cheers

Good piece of engineering in the flow hive but you do have to spend a lot of time in the brood box at this time of year to look for disease, check hive strength, manipulate brood and undertake swarm control measures (as you would in any type of beehive). The design principles used to enable honey extraction is outstanding.

Amongst the beekeepers on this site is there anyone based in SA or anyone who is prepared to sell and post a 500gm block of beeswax

I am looking to make some polish for childrens toys using beeswax and mineral oil.

Cheers
Glenn

Manpa said:
Amongst the beekeepers on this site is there anyone based in SA or anyone who is prepared to sell and post a 500gm block of beeswax

I am looking to make some polish for childrens toys using beeswax and mineral oil.

Cheers
Glenn
Wouldn't you believe it just gave the last bit I had to a mate so his Grandchildren could mess around with it Will have some to reduce in the next month or so, will keep you in mind.

If I needed another hobby I'd like to give it a go. Mrs M has hinted on several occasions that we need more bees in the garden and I know she's right but I pretend to not get the hint :)

How far can a hive be moved? If we were to find a hive in a log could it be moved....a very long way north?

Hi Moneybox,

The easiest way to start is by catching and boxing a swarm. Moving bees from a hollow log can be a painful job (in more ways than one) Have done this a few times but in my opinion its not worth the effort. A couple of years ago a neighbour had a hollow tree come down with a hive in the middle of it. Bees and comb were everywhere. I ended up putting an empty hive close to the hole in the tree and picked up as much of the brood comb that I could get and stacked it into the empty box. Poured some warm water with nappysan in it into another hole lower down on the tree trunk. Walked away and left it overnight. The ammonia in the nappysan drove the bees out of the hive. Many of them went into the box as they could smell the brood. Took the box home the following day and wired some of the chunks of brood into frames and added a frame of eggs from another hive. (Just in case there was no queen present) Checked it after a month and found that I had a laying queen. It was close to autumn at this stage and the bees had no honey stored for the winter. Had to feed them all through the colder months but they survived. That hive produced some good honey the following season. Not sure about keeping bees in Cue. They dont like endless days of 40 degrees plus. Bees also need a regular supply of pollen, nectar and some water. A little bit of research about the area you intend to keep a hive would be in order.

Cheers

Les

Manpa said:

Cheers
Glenn
Hi Manpa. I recently had a hive removed by a local bee man. This is what was left.
1572663962_9d3d3c58-fc93-47dd-a7bf-e4dca1810812.jpg

1572663962_04bf0cd5-e2fb-4338-8b37-5034f34a63dd.jpg
. It probably wont be 500gm. But you are welcome to it. PM me your address & I will send it off next week. Cheers.

There wont be a lot of wax in those combs but if you melt it down in an old tin can it would be much smaller in size and easier to post. Put some water in the can with the wax to stop it getting too hot. Try not to boil the water. When it cools, the wax will be floating on top of the water. Manpa, give me a yell if you cant get any wax locally.

Cheers

Les

(#^%$!* bees. So much hard work.
Worked them hard the last couple of days. Queens are in short supply due to the crappy weather.
Out of my 4 hives on the farm one colony absconded. Thought it may be disease. Brought the box back home and everything seemed fine.
Bad hive management on my behalf.
Went back the next day to work the hive next to them. Opened the lid and checked the frames and they were only half full of honey. These bees were psychotic, totally. Trying to kill me I'm sure. Next time I'll set up the Go Pro and film it. put the lid on and left them alone. But they would not leave me alone. followed me into the car, Had to drive a couple of hundred meters and smoke em out of the car.

Came back and moved onto the next hive. Super on top has 8 fully capped frames of honey. That's it. I go on a robbing spree, and this colony is much more gentle.
Then I noticed the brood box is falling apart..^%@(*&...
Take frames home, process and go back to change brood box. Oh how gentle they were when I took the honey frames. As soon as I started moving the brood frames they went nuts. To top it of next door colony joined in.
Changed brood box, put honey super on top with the leftover frames and got the hell out of there.
One more to check but I'll leave it for a while. Sorry no pics as I double up my clothing and cannot use a camera.

Uncapping the frames
1577581797_20191228_134904.jpg

Draining
1577581835_20191228_135736.jpg

End result. Look how dark it is. Werribee Manuka..hahahaha
1577581907_20191228_183805.jpg

The hive in the backyard was up for sale but no one wanted it. I decided to keep it and requeen it. Managed to get a queen a couple of weeks ago but could not find the old queen. They were gentle enough so I swapped the queen for a super box with a local keeper. Watch and see how light that honey will be.

Hi hard luck ,got a question on some native bee's, the top of there blackbutt tree hive has broken off about 5 foot above he hole they enter 2 days ago in a bit of a blow ,i have got a ladder and had a look, the hive is about 1 and 1/2 foot down from the exposed top (where the tree broke off) i have put some shade cloth on it , what can i cover the top with that won't disturb my little mates ,i have mango trees and a fruit salad tree that they love to hang out in when they are in flower ,i don't wont their hive damaged with rain (if that ever happens here again),i would be really p-----off if i lost them,the hive has been in that tree for a lot of years any information would be great :beer:

Latest posts