Beechworth Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwal

Jason
Reaction score
Hi All - I am up in Beechworth with the fam, and staying at the Beechworth Holiday Park...according to various maps, there was gold found in this area.

So, out I went with the trusty SDC, walking from the park to the area directly behind - other than doing good for the environment by removing lead, shot cases and a few buttons, nothing to be found...of course, I am sure this area has been gone over many many times, mostly due to its proximity to the park.

I have a Doug Stone Relics and Gold map for the area - just wondering if anyone would like to PM me and share a location that is reasonably flat and not full of over burden - this area sure is due for a burn off.

Anyway, just putting it out there if any wouldn't mind sharing privately or publicly a spot that I could have a go at.

Just a short drive back to Yackandandah should see you right...and also some panning in the creek/river outside of town....it's bound to have seen less activity imo. The Chinese in the olde days really did a good job but if your stuck on being around Beechworth, drop into the Museum and one of the Guides owns a couple of leases in the area and may be able to help.

GGA

No probs jwal, hope you do well. While your there though, do go and speak with Darren (couldn't recall his name last night) at the Museum, it is worth the visit for the history, and he is a very approachable bloke (if he still works there, well, volunteers actually).

He used to own both a wet lease and a hard rock lease, but that was about 8-10yrs ago now.

Cheers

Just a bit of a summary, and thanks for the info both here and in PMs.

The areas I went were well over grown, and I guess the area has been hit a lot since 1852.

Steep hills, lots of holes and so over grown,a burn off would be great, but not sure I'll be detecting there again anytime soon, panning might be the way to go for those that are interested.

Sorry it didn't work out for you bloke, but at least now you have tried for yourself, you now know the situation. I heard it is hard going with a detector, but if you get up above the town water supply, there is a creek/river that has a few bends that panners seem to like. There's also good camping sites up there as well.

I found an 'ol timers shovel with a tree branch handle in the waters up there when i last visited and still have it.
Just never know what you may find when on the hunt eh?

Better luck next time eh? ;)

Gypsy

Latest posts