Beaufort prospecting trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJB

matt
Reaction score
G'day,

On Monday myself and Kman decided to head over to Beaufort for a day out digging and scratching around to see what the old goldfield has to offer. We had spent the last week going over maps, Doug Stone and Geo vic and thanks to a bit more info offered by Golddigg@ we decided on a couple of spots to look at. The Beaufort goldfield is huge and you could spend days there just driving around looking and searching. We had to choose somewhere that was potentially going to give up some colour so with a few places set into the GPS we were set. Our prospecting arsenal consisted of my self built Dry Blower, pans and shovel and Kmans F1A4 mod2 and Whites GMT....how could we possibly fail?? :p
1417560301_photo-0255.jpg

We left at 5am and started the 3 hr drive to Beaufort. We got there in good time and found our first spot in amongst some old diggings. I found some good looking Mullock to feed into the Dry blower and went to town while Kman wandered off with detector in hand. After my first clean up of the blower I was pleased to see some nice looking colour in the pan...very promising I thought. After an hour Kman came back empty handed and had had enough of the old fencing wire he was finding everywhere so I let him have a crack at the blower for a while. He had a clean up and found some nice colour too so at least neither of us would go home empty handed.
1417560620_photo-0257.jpg

It was now around 11am and the place had started to heat up nicely and we decided to head for one of our other spots to try. We drove around the scrub, passing one other prospector with a detector, gave him a wave and kept going as he looked pretty busy and we did not want to cramp his style. We found a good spot which had what appeared to be a reef mine at the head of a gully. Historical records say that Quartz reef mining was not very successful in Beaufort as the reefs were very hard to follow. The size of the mullock heap indicated that it was deep but there were shafts and costeans everywhere so that would suggest they had a bit of trouble tracking the reef. In the gully 100m downhill were some diggings so we set the Blower up again and had more of dig. Each cleanup of the blower, every 30 mins, showed nice gold and this stuff was coarse and not far travelled indicating it had come from the reef just up the hill.
1417561074_photo-0260.jpg

Obligatory selfie!

It had started to heat up now and when the blower motor would not start and after half hour pulling and pulling I was fair knackered and decided I'd had enough. We packed up and decided to head over the hill in attempt to locate a puddler that was morked on the Doug Stone map as neither of us had seen a Puddler before apart from pictures. We found it, exactly where the map said it was and tried to figure out how they were using it which really highlighted the enormous effort the old timers went to.
1417561305_photo-0261.jpg

Puddler

We headed off on our 3 hour journey home, absolutely stuffed but full of beans after having spent another day out in the goldfields. A final cleanup when I got home showed a modest amount of gold but some nice gold none the less. Some water worn and some coarse...its all good.
1417561457_photo-0264.jpg

good colour

We will head over there again I'm sure and finish running the mullock heaps until I can't dig no more. It was a cracker of a day spent with a good mate and good colour, you can't ask for more than that! :D

Cheers

I just love these adventures especially that some colour no matter on how much was found.
Well Done. :D

Think some of us NSW highbankers need to go south and help you southerners clean up some of the finer heavy metals contaminating your nugget patches. And yer I understand the lack of watercourses is a limiting factor. Nice colour, thanks for the share

very nice effrot mate thanks for the rundown of the day i missed :( that color looks great can i ask does it look like the pieces were flattened or crumbled straight outa quartz?

Jaros said:
Did you try the F1A4M2--how did it go?? :p

Jaros, I'll let Kman tell you how it went since he knows what he is talking about and I don't :8

Paydirt, you blokes up in the hills can come down any time and help us out but yes water is a problem. It was bone dry out there and perfect conditions for the dry blower. Really makes you wonder how they got water up there to sluice on top of a big hill, it must have rained more back in those days :p

Hey Goldigg@, it was a great day mate and we will be doing it again. The gold from the first place was water worn and was from lower lying areas with only small hills around. The second place we went to which was higher up on a heaps bigger hill was definitley coarse and as if the quartz had just dissolved away and left the gold in its natural form. This place has some more potential and needs some more prospecting done I think. By the look of the mine up the hill it may only have travelled 100m away from its source.

Cheers

It's funny reading some of the old camp reports and the like, one month no water next month flooding. Right equipment for the conditions. Great share, I love reading about others adventures.

Your right GoldTarget, its great reading about what other people are getting up to, that's what the forum is for. Your post about your latest prospecting trip made me realise we should be adding more to the forum so you were a bit of an inspiration.

If only we had a time machine to go back in time and see what the life was like.

Hey mjb thanks for not posting the photo with my fat guts poking out :D thanks for sharing a gr8 day out in the sticks.hey jaros no gold that day on the detectors.to bloody hot :8 was more fascinated with seeing the dry blower in action and plus it was setup under a nice shady tree.so down with the minelab and up with the shovel :lol: .

MJB

Good reading here have found gold in lots of placers around the area in the gullies and up the slopes so must be gold there some were for a dryblow.

Lots of good digging in the gullies so why not try the gully just to the east of those readings, Good Luckl ;)

Image9_zps58691f35.jpg

Image7_zps84c2712e.jpg

Theres alot of earthmoving going on there at the moment with the new roadworks, it would be nice to follow behind one of the dozers for an afternoon.
Do you think they'd notice a guy with a gpx 5000 if he had a high vis vest on? :lol:

Hi Detrack,

Thanks for those maps mate, you obviously are better at research that I am. I will definitely take the dry blower out there and have a dig. Those readings of 450ppb are encouraging. I reckon most gullies in the area would be auriferous it just depends how deep I gotta dig :)

Average Joe and Kman :D :D I reckon you would fit right in with the rest of the road workers on their lunch break...they would all be having a go.

Maybe we could fly a pirate flag and commandeer a D12 for an afternoon? If only it was that easy :lol:

Parked on the sampling as I post, very nice reek running down into the gully and looks the goods for a run of gold just need to do abit of leg work now.

Will spend about a hour before heading off to a old patch I worked 9 years back.

Cheers

MJB

Got this screamer there yesterday on the slope from the diggings,
Dsc00281_zps516cc654.jpg

10 years back we had some very good camps there and always gave us gold it would be good to see how a Dry blow would go on the pipe clay.

about a 100mtrs up the gully from the Private land looks to be a big old dam so I would think there would be a Puddler about

Latest posts