Beagleboy's Video's

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A word of warning what you are doing with your highbanker in the middle of the creek is a no go..
In NSW it is a $500.00 on the spot fine,hope you don't get caught if it is the same in VIC....
Cheers G R....

Goldrocs said:
A word of warning what you are doing with your highbanker in the middle of the creek is a no go..
In NSW it is a $500.00 on the spot fine,hope you don't get caught if it is the same in VIC....
Cheers G R....

Goldrocs are you referring to creating " significant" turbidity?

We are only concerned about water turbidity in NSW not where you set up.

And where did you get the $500 fine for breaching setting up in the middle of the creek?

BTW: Nice work gents and nice gold!

Cheers

RS

Were in a tributary and not in a direct water catchment. The creek has many kilometers to run until it reaches the main river and has plenty of time to settle. A tree falling into the creek would cause 30 fold the damage we can manage in a days work.

I don't think the locals would like silt tailings everywhere on the banks everywhere..

Watch out in tuena then as the dept of fisheries where down a few weeks back checking prospectors with high bankers,as some are doing the wrong thing and digging in the banks,one prospector was fined at Coles bridge it was a on the spot fine of $500.00 for using his highbanker in the middle of the river,take care... :)

In Victoria digging holes in banks of Creeks is frowned upon by authorities and green lobby.
It has resulted in significant restrictions to prospecting access in the past and no doubt will have a significant impact on future or existing access rights and privileges.

I know where this video clip was shot, the un-named creek has significant soft clay deposits and significant natural erosion issues, the Prospectors working in this creek were VERY WISE not to name it online as there is significant interest and activity at this Creek. Around 20 years ago this Creek was as popular as it is now with high banker operators and the local friends of the Creek had a very strong interest in having the Creek closed down to prospecting.

In an environmental report on the waterways within this catchment this particular Creek was named as a significant contributor of Silt and high turbidity into the River it flows into. Prospectors need to be very careful when working within this waterway as future access can not be guaranteed. :eek:

Swinging & digging said:
In Victoria digging holes in banks of Creeks is frowned upon by authorities and green lobby.
It has resulted in significant restrictions to prospecting access in the past and no doubt will have a significant impact on future or existing access rights and privileges.

I know where this video clip was shot, the un-named creek has significant soft clay deposits and significant natural erosion issues, the Prospectors working in this creek were VERY WISE not to name it online as there is significant interest and activity at this Creek. Around 20 years ago this Creek was as popular as it is now with high banker operators and the local friends of the Creek had a very strong interest in having the Creek closed down to prospecting.

In an environmental report on the waterways within this catchment this particular Creek was named as a significant contributor of Silt and high turbidity into the River it flows into. Prospectors need to be very careful when working within this waterway as future access can not be guaranteed. :eek:

First of all, the creeks been listed on many prospecting forums, websites, information and books well before id even started prospecting, so the bark about being wise was not needed.

I agree with you there, I am not one to destroy the creeks around here. ive spent days filling in holes, clearing out deer carcass and absolute rubbish dumped into it constantly.

I too myself know of the silts and stats of the creek, a lot was crushed and dumped into it from the old timers a long time ago.

I am not digging banks, I am digging an eroded side that has dropped 5 meters down, the real bank is about 6 meters from where we were digging.

If the upper yarra dam was not built, all valley tributaries would be clean and not silted, I didnt build that..

Though I have noticed an increse in very large holes left and not filled in throughout the creek, not me, I fill them in for thise who are too lazy to do so.

Ive talked with the shire, melbourne water and the "friends of" the creek about thier oppinions on current prospecting in the creek and theres been no dissagreements with what I personally do and I am also trying to keep a happy medium between the freinds of and prospectors.

I keep it clean, the question is, who isnt, id rather you not kick n scream when I do soo much work myself to keep the creeks here tidy.

Sad part is, as soon as one hole is seen, theres 15 people digging the same spot that month, and not many filled in holes

I know I wont be responsible for the creek to be shut off the list. And I doubt they will close it anyway as I believe the area is going to be re-mined in the future.

I live here and am a local of the creek as well and as I said, I care for it like anyone else here. The ones who dont fill the holes are from out of town.

I will breifly add as well that "the freinds.." are a lot more interested in the run-off chemicals and pollution from the farms and orchards, farmers grazing licences and illigal fish dam constructions along the creek rather than the silt.

But if anyone is to check it out, the whole area needs to be respected, plants and waterways and destruction kept to an absolute minimal.

I will always fight for both the environment, and prospecting rights equally.

Well said AtomRat, when I was there a few months back it was the remains of deer, dead carp, spiny crayfish carcases and general rubbish that had been dumped up top and even down the bank into the creek, the smell had me dry reaching on occasions while sluicing as it was a warm day.
There were a few holes not filled by lazy prospectors but by far the majority of environmental issues were from other people (not groups) that clearly have no respect for the area or nature in general and it would only be a handful of offenders stuffing it for the rest of us who enjoy our surroundings while going about our hobby.

Great video by the way guys, love watching prospecting in action and seeing good results for the efforts, well done.

I agree, the majority of prospectors are respectful of the area. But this area has problems from individuals and farms with dumping and run-off from farmland.

Latest posts