Beach / Sand Scoops - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with. SA you will waste a lot of time and energy trying to shake out wet sand (hole size-looks right to me)
Either wash out in the water if you are close or spread the sand out like a brickie does with his mortar or Building a wall or just dump it out and spread it out(with you foot)
Cherry pick your target with your detector hopefully you will scoop the target out with not to much sand left away you go to the next target
A lot of pressure is exerted on the welds trying to heave a lot of wet sand out all at once go easy at first see how the scoop performs TIP. Put a magnet at the bottom of you scoop to attract any iron you dig up saves time looking for the target ie Bobby pins,bottle tops screws ect it works good you can pick them up cheep on eBay
Hope this helps

I tried shaking a full scoop of wet sand out, it takes too much effort. So like bogan said, I dumped the sand out, detected over it, and used my foot to thin the pile out. The scoop performed well, however RJs round scoop sliced through the sand better.

As advised by SA Bogan, Paulmarr and others, you need STRONG scoop. Mine is stainless steel but I can see it flexing and know it's only a matter of time before it starts to bend.
I will be getting a Miami scoop eventually as they seem to be the strongest build.

This is mine...

1452912098_img_2016011635527.jpg

I like my green shovel when not actually in the water, I dig the sand out and leave it on the shovel and run my detector over it, can't do that with a metal scoop. Though the shovel would be next to useless in the water, that's where a scoop like these are essential. Just my opinion.

rocketaroo said:
The scoop performed well, however RJs round scoop sliced through the sand better.

I know what you mean. I have found that in wet/damp sand a shallow angle on the first scoop makes life easier. I think the thickness and texture of the aluminium (and the size/shape of the scoop) creates a lot of friction against the flat/compact sand.

pprogers said:
rocketaroo said:
The scoop performed well, however RJs round scoop sliced through the sand better.

I know what you mean. I have found that in wet/damp sand a shallow angle on the first scoop makes life easier. I think the thickness and texture of the aluminium (and the size/shape of the scoop) creates a lot of friction against the flat/compact sand.

Yep the metal in mine is thinner therefore easier to push into the sand. Downside is it will bend.

My scoop originally had a s/s handle ... but i bent it within a few outings
So i modified it .
I use a fibreglass handle from a shovel... But , that alone is not good enough ,as the first version flexed so much and split in no time
Now i have another fibreglass handle with a s/s sleeve up the guts. Has been great so far
It also now has splits and really does need replacing before it fails
And we all know about Murphy's law. :rolleyes:

Ramjet said:
pprogers said:
rocketaroo said:

Yep the metal in mine is thinner therefore easier to push into the sand. Downside is it will bend.

the ebay scoop is really heavy duty, I reckon it will last...but time will tell :)

If cutting into the sand is an issue with the thick ali scoop I wonder if bevelling (sharpening) the front edge of the scoop will help.

I use the modified plastic Cyclone shovel at the moment and its great for dry sand. The sand falls through really easy and as mentioned you can pass the detector over it to see if you have the target out of the hole.
Only problem I have with it is I have a bad back and bending over to shovel isn't much fun after a few holes.
The scoop I am hoping will let me work upright more of the time.

With the plastic shovel I push it in then drag it out of the hole, pass the detector over it and if I have the target I tip the shovel onto one edge and drag it backwards to leave pile of sand in a line. Then pass the detector over the line and when I find the target I kick the sand off to one side and rescan. Works well.

Being 6 foot 6 though still means a lot of bending cause the shovel handle is fairly short and to drag the shovel out of the hole I have to bend a fair way.

The only scoops that I have seen clear damp sand really easily (on Youtube) are the steel mesh type scoops. But they just never look strong enough to me. I could see me caving the rear of the scoop in with my foot pushing it into the sand.

They do filter damp sand really quickly tho

Sandta said:
My scoop originally had a s/s handle ... but i bent it within a few outings
So i modified it .
I use a fibreglass handle from a shovel... But , that alone is not good enough ,as the first version flexed so much and split in no time
Now i have another fibreglass handle with a s/s sleeve up the guts. Has been great so far
It also now has splits and really does need replacing before it fails
And we all know about Murphy's law. :rolleyes:

Well theres no point just talking about it ... And no time like the present(as they say)
So i replaced the handle this arvo
1453015909_image.jpg

1453016025_image.jpeg

Still got to get the cricket bat grip on it :/ shopping bag method :rolleyes:
WHAT A FLAMIN MISSION!!
Then gotta get the glue under it ... And make it stay there
Thats what another day is for :lol:
Why do today, what you can put off till another day (thats what i say ;) )

Whats the shopping bag method?

Edit: It's ok I checked it out on Youtube. Easier than how we used to do it as kids lol.

So the first sand scoop I bought started to flex as soon as I started using it. It is ok in dry sand but with a full scoop of wet sand it flexes. I don't blame the manufacturer as they are not in the detecting game but just a metal fabrication shop. We all know that metal will only flex so many times before something cracks. After several more days on the beach some of the welds started to crack. I was never harsh using it and was really gentle with it after I realized it wasn't going to last.

I ordered one of the Miami scoops from overseas, then had the though that it may not get here before the first scoop broke.
Not wanting to be scoopless, I ordered one of the Ally scoops from QLD. It arrived within 3 days, great service. While waiting for it to arrive I made some repairs to my original scoop which should see it serviceable for a while yet.

My Miami arrived this morning so now I am overwhelmed with choice of scoops. :D

1468199557_img_2016071135111.jpg

BillS said:
Can you give a bit of a price rundown please?

Top one is Staino. I think was $130. I talked the maker into selling me the shop display one. There are people who retail them for about $150 I think.
#2 is aluminium $160 delivered from flea bay in 3 days.
The bottom one is Staino from Ukraine and around $225. It was US $170 so whatever the exchange rate is on the day.

Buy the aluminum I'm scoop here. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alloy-Sa...942650?hash=item3f6535783a:g:MTcAAOSw5dNWpexF

The Miami or bottom one in the pic came from here. http://beachsandscoop.com

Latest posts