Beach / Sand Scoops - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not cheap Mac U , around $300 aus all up, minus the handle ( $25 ) but best quality stainless I have seen. Square holes dump sand more efficiently so they say, will report back after a good try out. There are some YouTube videos of it in action. Google "T rex sand scoops"
1426241931_20150313_140201.jpg
1426241977_20150313_140142.jpg
1426242034_2015-03-13_14.13.21.png

Just a thought.....could shock absorbtion be built into a scoop? Incorporated into the base of the handle, to save stress on the scoop itself? A compression spring perhaps?

I have to agree with Sa_Bogan on the solid handle, those Miami scoops look and feel extremely durable, and for a little extra weight you get increased longevity over a removable handle versions. I cringe everytime I dig deep in wet sand with my Indiana scoop, I'm sure the handle is not far off from snapping off (welds and mount are already screwed), simply due to too much stress being directed at the bottom of the handle where it connects to the scoop. There really needs to be more bracing at the back of the handle mount, and have it running down the back of the scoop doubling as a foot mount.

The round design of the Miami seems to make it quite strong, with minimal weak points, joins or welds to crack, and the double handle mounts spread the weight out over the whole scoop vs just in one spot, probably why it comes with a lifetime warranty on the welds. If you plan to dig DEEP in heavy wet sand or where it is rocky, I'd opt for a fixed handle design with the round scoop, though most other designs should be fine for general beach duties. :)

Looks like a nice scoop. I mentioned doing this dad but the people down our way cost way too much to make anything in steel

I was actually going to try out one of those, unfortunately the seller wasn't listing any more for sale at the time - great pricing too. The lower handle is also very handy, might have to get a clamp on one for mine as the main handle is quite slippery when trying to lift a load of sand/mud. :)

I have one of these as well. Super strong but a tiny bit heavy and awkward. Very happy with it though. I also feel a bit safer on the beach at night with this giant aluminium club!!

Goldpick said:
I was actually going to try out one of those, unfortunately the seller wasn't listing any more for sale at the time - great pricing too. The lower handle is also very handy, might have to get a clamp on one for mine as the main handle is quite slippery when trying to lift a load of sand/mud. :)

I put a cricket bat grip on mine ;)
You have to glue it on , otherwise will simply slip around when it gets wet

I nearly pulled the trigger on one of those myself this morning.

Hopefully he has stock in a week or so cause I think I will grab one with my next paycheck.

Does it clear damp sand well?

Wookiee said:
Does it clear damp sand well?

It struggles a bit with damp sand. I think he will drill the holes a touch bigger if you request though, and I think it would be worth it.

I found him friendly and responsive as well by the way.

Thanks for the info.

Just ordered one for myself :)

I was going to ask him to drill the holes bigger, but will see how it goes. I have the gear to redrill them if I need to. :)

IMO you dont need very large holes otherwise a small target can go through. when i use my scoop i just dump the sand on the ground and then search it, i used to sift it in the water but have lost targets before

Latest posts