Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice Boxes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys

Was looking into buying one of these of the BGT site. Went to put in the order then found out that postage to Aus would come in at over $500 for the 36" Prospector (which is about 2.5 times the price of the sluice).

Is there anywhere in Aus that stock these?

Cheers

No unfortunately they only come from US.
I would not trade mine for any any other river sluice on the market. I can shovel gravel all day and clean up only once, it traps the finest of gold and small gemstones. Nuggets, pickers and big gemstones sit on the base of the grizzly bars if set up correctly. I set up a small strip of vermin wire on the base of the grizzlies to trap these if they are in the area.
I am waiting anxiously for the highbanker setup to go on sale.
They do require a good flow of water as they are a high (dual chambered) river sluice. I thoroughly recommended them the only hassle I have is that when I clean up, it collects all the heavies and seperating the gold from the black sand and minute gemstones/spinel takes a long time.
If you can afford one get it.

Cheers Brumble

Looks like I'll have to get something smaller so that the postage doesn't kill me. I'm in tas so running water won't be a problem most of the year round, the cold might get me though :/

Which model do you have?

Okay, so I thought I'd post this here in case anyone else was interested in getting one of these but were put off by the high postage.

I sent a message to BGT asking if there was a way to dismantle the sluice to save on shipping and this is the reply I got:

"We apologize for the shipping quote issue, once in awhile it gives out a crazy quote. We can get a 36" Prospector to you for the price of the sluice you are interested in. plus $100.00 for shipping USPS Priority International. If this works for you, please send me the model you are interested in and your complete shipping address so I can send you a Invoice via PayPal."

Think I will need to put in an order.

So now it's less than 20% of the first quote for postage. Got to love that. I wonder how often that happens?

most business do it today like car insurance every bill they send you can get it down a lot and they say it was error bull just money making scheme you have to tell people you are shopping around you can save big bucks ;) I never pay sticker price :)

lol don't think it was a mistake
heres my quote
Please choose the shipping method for your order:

UPS Online (Worldwide Expedited) $665.81
UPS Online (Worldwide Express Saver) 1 $766.58
:|

Yeah, they need to fix that. I imagine they wouldn't see to too many aussie sales.

Just finalizing my sale now. Is there any reason not to get the big grizzlies?

No it depends on the size of the gold in your area. If you have alot of pickers in your area go the wider grizzlies. I have small alluvial or flood gold in my area with the odd picker and gemstones.
It just means the final concentrates will have larger items in the drop box. It constantly replaces the lighter material with heavier ones no matter what size it is. If it's heavy it sinks to the bottom.

Probably too late now as I paid for the sluice. Checked with my local governing body before ordering that I was allowed to use it in Tas and that's all good.

Got the heavy version with the big grizzlies in the end. $335 with delivery. Now I just have to wait...

Funnily enough, I think my wife must have picked up some gold fever. Usually she's dead against buying anything but with this I showed her some videos on youtube and she was just like 'we need one!'

Hurg said:
Probably too late now as I paid for the sluice. Checked with my local governing body before ordering that I was allowed to use it in Tas and that's all good.

true.... i was told by several people you cannot use a sluice in Tassy

just googled it and it seems that is the case, its quite clear actually see below. (maybe call it a concentrates cleaner rather than a sluice:) )

credit - http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/portal/page?_pageid=35,831319&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
Prospecting Licences

Conditions relating to Prospecting Licences

A prospecting licence enables the holder to prospect on some lands which are subject to the Mineral Resources Development Act 1995

Prospecting on private property or existing mining leases, retention licences or exploration licences may only be conducted with the consent of the property owner or the holder of the mineral tenement.

Prospecting on land which is subject to an application for an exploration licence or a mining lease may only be conducted with the consent of both the applicant and the Director of Mines.

Prospecting is allowed on State Forest and Regional Reserves, and in some Conservation Areas.

Prospecting is not allowed in National Parks, Nature Reserves, Nature Recreation Areas, Historic Sites, Forest Reserves and in public and municipal reserves (tips, cemeteries, etc.).

Only hand prospecting for material is allowed and only hand-held tools may be used. The use of mechanical machinery or any explosives is prohibited. The use of sluices and trommels and motorised pumps is not permitted. The licence will be withdrawn from any person breaching this condition.

The use of suction dredges is illegal in Tasmania.

Prospectors are to conduct operations in a manner as not to cause or aggravate soil erosion.

Excavation on any natural stream bank is not permitted. Banks must not be undermined.

Prospecting in roadside gutters, or extraction from road embankments, is not permitted.

All care is to be taken in the prospecting of materials and any diggings shall be restored to normal surface level before leaving the area.

No vegetation is to be cut or removed.

Discovery of mineral and fossil specimens not recognised as common should be referred to Mineral Resources Tasmania.

No Aboriginal artefacts or site, or historic relics or site, are to be damaged or removed.

No speleothems (stalactites, etc.) are to be removed from caves whether these are previously broken or not. Removal of speleothems is an offence and offenders can be prosecuted.

Excavation in any sinkhole in a karst area or within 10 metres of the entrance of or within any cave is not permitted.

Vehicles are not to be taken off formed tracks.

No fires are to be lit.

Where can I get further information?

Mineral Resources Tasmania
30 Gordons Hill Road
Rosny Park Tasmania

PO Box 56
Rosny Park Tasmania 7018

Telephone 03 6165 4800
Facsimile: (03) 6233 8338
Email: [email protected]

PROSPECTING LICENCE FORMS
MRDA_P1 Application for Prospecting Licence (updated December 2013)
MRDA_P2 Conditions Relating to Prospecting Licences (updated March 2012)
MRDA_P3 Approval to Prospect within a Mineral Tenement (updated July

Yeah, I rang up MRT and spoke to them about it. Sent them a link to the BGT and a senior geologist there gave me the okay to use it.

Got his reply through email, but yeah, I'll definitely be printing it out and keeping it on me. He seemed pretty cool actually. Told me there was gold in the Derwent River that they can't work out where it's coming from, and even hinted at somewhere to have a look at.

Hurg said:
Yeah, I rang up MRT and spoke to them about it. Sent them a link to the BGT and a senior geologist there gave me the okay to use it.

I myself would be careful. The geologists that work for MRT are NOT the regulators and enforcers, just geologists. They can give you their opinion that it might be ok, but they can't guarantee it. I have talked extensively with some of the geologists at MRT and they agree that it's ok, but as I said, they neither write nor enforce the rules themselves.

I think for the moment using a small sluice is ok, but mostly because of the way the regulation is worded, and they may crack down on this. If you look at the exact wording of that condition, it says: "The use of sluices and trommels and motorised pumps is not permitted." It does not say "The use of sluices or trommels or motorised pumps is not permitted.". As currently worded, a reasonable person would interpret this to mean that the use of all three in combination is not permitted, IMO, not that the use of any of them individually is not allowed, as would be the case had they used the word "or".

This is just my personal opinion and I would not encourage anyone to push the boundaries of the regulations, if you do so it's at your own risk.

Hurg said:
Got his reply through email, but yeah, I'll definitely be printing it out and keeping it on me. He seemed pretty cool actually. Told me there was gold in the Derwent River that they can't work out where it's coming from, and even hinted at somewhere to have a look at.

There is well known gold in the Maydena catchment. Most of the creeks drain into the Styx, which drains into the Derwent. The Florentine is also worth looking, outside existing reserves, of course. There is gold and PGMs in the Fourteen Mile Creek / Kallista Creek area, and these drain into the Tyenna, I think. Within a stone's throw of Hobart, there is gold in Adamsfield, the Channel/Cygnet area, The Weld (mostly in reserves), the Maydena area, and the Lune, Esperance and Catamaran rivers. I've never found enough to be worthwhile in any of these, but I know of someone who got enough gold to make an engagement ring from the southern rivers...

Latest posts